Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injector sound

TDR|XTC

Hello!

On the last service I added some Liqui Moly Diesel Purge in the fuel tank. After a few hundred km of driving I heard a strange ticking noise from the engine. Lifted the bonnet up, and immediately went to check the injectors. I put a screw driver on each of them and listened to the noise is makes. And injector nr 1, (from left to right as you look at the engine) makes this ticking noise. 

Which sounds like this: 

https://clyp.it/jjqibr3z

Should I do another injector cleaning process, or that one is on his last days of life?!

Thank you !

T

In my opinion if it affects the driving or starting of the car then you might want to change or recondition the injector. This is just my opinion, may be best to look into tapping injectors and see if this doesn't lead to any serious problems. In my fiesta I have a suspicion one of my injectors may be leaking as starting after it's been left for several hours it smokes for a few seconds with a strong diesel smell plus it idles rough. It drives nicely and the rough idling stops after it's been driven down the road. 

If you do think of taking action on the injector(s) there's companies on eBay which can recondition them. My dad found one company which recondition them for £60 each and they send their own replacement injectors to you whilst they recondition your ones. I wouldn't use any diesel cleaner if the injector is faulty as your not letting it do its full job. 

• Like 1

Hello zain661,

Thank you for the reply. The car starts fine, drives well, but it does have a pretty loud idle noise. I don't have the proper tools to check the injectors to see their condition. But that ticking sound was not there before I added the Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. I don't think it's a bad injectors but there is something not right there. I also read that the injector seals can cause this. 

Thanks again!

if it's injector seals it is normally more of a chuffing noise in my experience, and can be accompanied by wet diesel around base of injector where the injector goes into the head.  this pool of diesel cooks on the hot cylinder head and you get diesel smell in the car if you put heater on. as it cooks it becomes a black goo.  In the past I have stopped the seals leaking by doing the injector retaining bolts up tighter.  BUT if you strip thread or snap bolt/stud then you will have a very major problem to sort out so be careful here.

You can check on the bottom of the engine cover to see if there is any dry / wet diesel. As a matter of fact when I did the service I noticed under the cover there was dried diesel which showed the seals went at some point. 

At the bottom of the injector head there is a bit of oil. I guess spilled from when the oil was changed. Can that be the cause of the ticking noise ?

Well if it's properly dried on then most likely it's oil which was spilled when you serviced it. Im sure the patch should look moist / wet as that would show diesel had recently went on there. I don't know how the engine looks on the mk7 fiesta diesels. On my mk6 fiesta 1.6 diesel engine the air filter is on the top right with the cover which covers the top of the injectors. 

You could clean the patch and see if anything comes up. If no diesel accumulates under the cover then the seals are good and probably it's and injector going faulty. 

I'm sure there was a YouTube video of someone showing the 1.6 hdi engine with the injector seals gone. I don't know what engine you have but you could search on YouTube and see if anyone made a video of the injector seals or one injector going wrong and listen to see if it sounds like what you have. 

• Like 1

is it 1.4 or 1.6 engine. and if it is 1.6 is it the twin cam 16valve or the single cam 8 valve?

DV6 Engine - 1.6 TDCI, Econetic, 2009, 90bhp. twin cam 16 valve!

that's the engine I had in previous car. all four injectors starting leaking at separate times. All cured by doing retaining nuts up tighter. BUT if you strip thread or snap bolt/stud then you will have a very major problem to sort out so be careful here. On mine it had kind of special nuts which need a hex bit put in the top part of the nut to tighten. I used hex bit in a screwdriver type round handle and could tighten them with my hand on the handle (as opposed to a socket arm) so they were obviously not tight at all.  I have no idea what correct torque is and only have a large long torque wrench would would not be right for these nuts. I just did them up tighter than they were (bit vague I know)

• Like 1

Can you please pinpoint exactly which nuts i need to tighten up?

Thank you !

have a look at this pic.  The two nuts are number 12 on the picture. There are two nuts on each injector.  They are tall nuts that you put a hexangonal bit in the top of to do up

$_1.JPG

This picture shows what the top of them look like

s-l225.jpg

at least that is what they were like on my 1.6tdci twin cam 16 vallve

But don't overdo it. and there is no guarantee it will stop the leak, but it did stop it on all four of mine at different times

• Like 2

Thank you isetta! First thing in the morning, i will see if the nuts need tightening, and will report later tomorrow!

Thank you guys!

T

Indeed they were a bit loose! However i also searched more on the internet and found that if the rubber seals are damaged, oil ca be found on the right side of the engine, and gathers in a specific place. I do have some oil there. Should i call Ford and make a schedule or the operation is easy and I can do it myself?

not sure if we are talking about different things here. The injectors are sealed by a copper washer at the bottom of the hole the injectors fit into. If the copper seal leaks you get Diesel seepage &/or a chuffing sound. Not sure what rubber seals you refer to, and if it is oil (not diesel fuel) then it's nothing to do with the injectors.

Sorry for not being to explicit. 

The noise was damped indeed after i ve tightened the nuts.

But I searched aside and someone suggested that oil spill caused by an upper rubber seal of the injector. I guess it's item #10 in your photo isetta. Sorry, this got me confused aswell. Soo many opinions on the internet.