Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'Skipping' at 55-60mph

OP123

Hi all!

Following an incident this week involving a nail on the road, an exploding tyre, subsequent swerve and a central reservation, my Mk3 now seems to 'skip' when over the doing the above speed.

Basically, I drove over a nail and when the tyre popped I swerved into the central reservation, going over the kerb at about 40mph, with both front and back drivers side wheels. Apart from the tyre, it only seemed to bend the edges of my alloy slightly and take a small chunk out of it, so I thought I had been really lucky (I've seen one occasion where a friend snapped their driveshaft and bending the suspension strut hitting a kerb at about 20!). However, it would seem that elsewhere took the brunt of the impact, as when I put the spare the car now feels like I'm driving over a bumpy road when getting to about 55mph, and it still happens now I've replaced the alloy. It's hard to explain, but it's not a consistent shaking, more of a 'duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh' pattern, if you know what I mean, that increases when speed increases. 

It wasn't noticeable at about 30mph when driving away from the tyre place, but now I know it's there, I can tell it's doing it slightly even at 30 (again, if you get what I mean). I won't be able to get under and investigate until the weekend, but from my sketchy description, has anyone got any ideas? Steering feels OK, so I don't suspect any steering component damage (or at least I'm hoping) and brakes don't seem to have been affected - they don't appear to be jerky when slowing down or anything.

Either way, looks like I'm borrowing the Mrs' Corsa for the next few days...

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT - there is now also a slight pull to the right when driving in a straight line, but I suppose that could arise from several issues, not necessarily just steering?

Was the alignment checked when the tyre was replaced?  Even if nothing is visibly damaged I'd expect wheel alignment to be out after a bump like that.

The lower arm is designed to take the impact so I'd be checking that carefully for bends, then the shock, which can be hard to visually see a bend in.  Also check the wheel bearing is smooth and quiet.

Sorry, forgot to mention that! Yes, they did the alignment, so assuming they did it right, it didn't help.

Thanks for the reply, I'll focus on those first. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. I'm fairly handy, but I do know my limits! 

Possibly a buckled rim and or  tyre damage ie a lump in the tyre somewhere not always easy to spot

I will try switching the wheels round, see if the location changes. I don't think it will be the alloy itself though, I had the same problem with the spare, which I never had any issues with before. I'm grateful for the suggestion though, and you never know, sometimes the simplest answer is the right one!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club