Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 ford focus tdci timing question.

Ryan1985

Hi guys, got a little question for ya.

I own a 2007 ford focus 1.8 tdci  (engine code KKDA1s).

I an due to change the timing belt (cam to H/P) which is no issue at all however I am unsure if the timing gear from the crank to the pump is wet belt or wet chain?

Is there a way to tell if I have a chain or belt from the crank to the pump?

Basically there is no way to tell if your engine has a timing chain or a wetbelt.

2007 was the transition Year between the timing chain and the wetbelt. During the transition period both engines with timing chain and engines with wetbelt were used at the factory. As far as I know these engines did have the same engine code.

The only way to be 100% sure is to open up the engine and take a look.

Thought it was 2008??

Can any one find out by a vin number?

Maby ford?

Whether the car has a timing chain or wetbelt can not be correctly determined by a VIN number. The Ford Ecat parts program simply shows both the timing chain and the wetbelt as suitible parts. 

2007 was the transition Year between the timing chain and the wetbelt at the engine facility. The changeover at the vehicle Focus/C-max production facility should have been performed at 03-01-2008. However there are examples of earlier vehicles that already had the wetbelt. Based on the production date your car should have a timing chain but he only way to be 100% sure is to open up the engine and take a look.

Basically it does not really matter whether the car has a timing chain or wetbelt. All Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions with the 1.8 TDCI do have the same timing belt/timing chain changing interval. There is no difference between vehicles with a timing chain or a wetbelt. Officially the timing chain is not a "fit for life" item on these engines. The timing chain is also prescribed to be changed at the specified interval of10yr/125k miles (whichever comes first).