Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5

carpetman1967

Hi everyone , firstly im new here to the forum so hello everyone . I have a problem with my 1.8 petrol Focus , its a 2009

model . For sometime now I have had an issue with a vibrating dash etc on tickover . Car drives fine although I do find it noisey

at motorway speeds . Doing some research on here people point to a possible engine mount failure , the one near the expansion

tank circular in shape ... fluid filled apparently ?

I took off the expansion tank to try and look at the mounting ... it looks a little perished and on closer inspection , the soft centre has a

hole in it . I can put my finger in it . Has this mounting failed would you think ?

If replaced would that make the engine less noisey at motorway speed also ?

Hi and welcome to the forum.. 

If the mount has failed and by the sound of it yes it cud very well have or be about to, then it can cause the engine to vibrate and for u to feel it through the dash.

I'd replace it asap as the other mounts will be being stressed more to take the extra strain so cud have premature wear on them. 

Motorway noise is standard for the mk2 Focus unfortunately.  They suffer badly from road and wind noise and Ford didn't fit enough sound deadening.  

Unless it's specifically engine noise you're getting in the cabin, changing the mount won't make a difference to that.

• Like 1

Do they? Can't say I get bad motorway road noise from mine, I do agree with the sound deadening though. It's shocking as standard

If the mount has gone it needs replacing though and cud be the cause of his dash vibrating depending on its condition etc.. 

• Like 1

Apart from some minor improvements the MK2.5 has the same sound deadening as the MK2. Considering that the Focus MK2 was developed in the early 2000's the road noise/sound deadening is not that bad. Most cars of that era are no better or even worse.

Thanks for the replies all ... its not so much road noise , more of engine noise . I used to own a MK1 Focus saloon 2.0 Ghia petrol , that was so much quieter engine wise at motorway speeds . Begining to regret selling the old one now .

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Apart from some minor improvements the MK2.5 has the same sound deadening as the MK2. Considering that the Focus MK2 was developed in the early 2000's the road noise/sound deadening is not that bad. Most cars of that era are no better or even worse.

Unless I've just got a particularly noisy one it's much worse than my 01/02 Golfs for road noise, tbh it's worse than the 06 Vectra as well.  The Germans in particular seem to put be able to keep a much quieter cabin than Ford do, even 15 years ago.  I stripped one of the Golfs for parts in the end, there were sponges and duvets everywhere to keep things quiet, and fabric between two plastic parts to stop squeaks and rattles.  Of course, you do pay a premium for the VAG group stuff, and I bought a Focus because I couldn;t justify the extra for an equivalent VAG car at the time, but they are much more refined in my experience.

VAG...  Don't knock it but I had a Skoda Octavia, even that was far superior to a Ford,  bad mistake selling it to a cab company..

Nothing wrong with an Octavia, Skoda's are just VWs for tight people. :wink: 

Or for old people...you can tell that by the way they fit the heater dials at the top of the dash instead of the radio, knowing which of those will be more used... :laugh: 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Considering that the Focus MK2 was developed in the early 2000's the road noise/sound deadening is not that bad. Most cars of that era are no better or even worse

Can't agree with that. Our Mk2.5 is by far the worst car for wind and road noise that we've owned in recent times.

2 minutes ago, mjt said:

Can't agree with that. Our Mk2.5 is by far the worst car for wind and road noise that we've owned in recent times.

MK2 is even worse! (not by much though) :tongue:

My mk2 road noise was so bad that when I did 200 km drive i was totally exhausted. I tore interior out and did full sound isolation to the car. I haven't done rear doors yet because noise levels are already acceptable. However I might still do wheel arches. Tire noise could be much lower.

I got bit worse mileage but with out added sound isolation my car was crazy uncomfortable. 

9 hours ago, mjt said:

May I ask ... do you get a lot of engine noise at motorway speeds , mine is a 1.8 petrol and is dreadful !

16 hours ago, carpetman1967 said:

May I ask ... do you get a lot of engine noise at motorway speeds , mine is a 1.8 petrol and is dreadful !

The 1.8 petrol has the 5 speed gearbox and is geared quite short so doing 70 MPH means the engine is revving fairly high hence the noise.  My wife has a 1.8 petrol MK2.5 and in terms of pure engine noise at 70+ MPH it's a lot noisier than my 1.8 TDCI, mainly due to the gearing.  Not much you can do about it TBH, even if you add extra sound insulation it won't change where you need to rev the engine to at motorway speeds.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, TomsFocus said:

Nothing wrong with an Octavia, Skoda's are just VWs for tight people. :wink: 

Or for old people...you can tell that by the way they fit the heater dials at the top of the dash instead of the radio, knowing which of those will be more used... :laugh: 

Thank you for the kind words Tom, I fit both categories, tight and old.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, carpetman1967 said:

Damian is right, the 1.8HE petrol - which we have - is geared short and sounds very 'buzzy' compared to our previous 1.8TDCi and also to our current 1.0L Ecoboost. It revs about 1000 higher than the 1.8TDCi at 70mph and feels as though it would benefit from an extra gear which might even improve the mpg.

That said, the wind and road noise is by far the worst offender in the Mk2.5 and I would imagine that extra sound insulation could help with that.

• Like 1

My old mk 1.5 focus was loads quieter than its replacement a mk 2.5 1.8 petrol.  But would say the mk2.5 is better made tho.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club