Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford S-Max horn not working

Extrovert

Hi All

I recently bought a s max and the horn isn't working.  One scanner shows B1C55 horn relay coil circuit fault.  Please see attached picture.

I took the horn off and tested them directly with battery.  Both work fine.  When horn button is pressed there is no clicking sound from the relay.  I tried to find a relay but couldn't find one from Halfords etc. 

However in the fuse box there was another relay with same numbers and figures.  I swapped it with the horn relay but the horn still not working.

Can anyone please suggest what the next step should be please?  ThanksScreenshot_20170917-174849.thumb.png.18045f60a772a5e8a144bacaa1b3f7ef.png

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have checked fuse 31 not 33. I will check it when i get home on Friday. 33 is for light switch module, engine compartment fuse box could though. 

33 supplies the relay coil side of relay. have you got a multimeter?

I see.  No I don't have a multimeter but I will be picking up one from Halfords on the weekend.

I will watch some YouTube videos to see how to test relay etc.  Any questions I may bother you here again if you don't mind.

a couple of simple tests with bridging replay connector pins and continuity test will rule out alot. let me know when your ready with multimeter.

Hi Ian,  I got home am hour ago.  Couldn't wait to see if the plan works.

So tested the relay by attaching red and black with 2 small connectors while multimeter was set at 200k ohm and display was showing 1 reading before connecting.

After connecting the cable with the connectors reading dropped down to 0.1

Does it mean relay is working properly?

If it is then what shall I do next?

I have treated f33 fuse too and it is working properly. Please suggest? Thanks

not sure what you have done to be honest. 

right, first test. pull the horn relay out. look at relay and corresponding connectors look to see if there is any numbers . you need to bridge the connector pins 3 and 5 together. thats bypassing relay and switch. your putting the fuse feed 31 directly to horn. horn should sound. 

do that and report back.

Connector 3 and 5 identified successfully.  Both bridged together by putting multi meter cables to each connector.  Ohm dropped from 1 to 0.1. Horn doesn't sound.

Ok will report back tomorrow morning as dont want to disturb the neighbours. Lol

if horn works then you will be testing the switch from the relay location . will explain tommorow.

Horn issue now resolved with Ian's help.

Please see solution on 

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi iantt, I have been following this thread with great interest as I have just bought a 2007 smax and I am now finding all the problems I hadn't noticed when I test drove it. Who would have thought to test the horn! Anyway I have done some pilimenery investigations and I think my problem is with the clockspring. I can get the horn to sound when bridged across the relay connections as you suggested to Extrovert but I get no power from the horn switch in the steering wheel when I press the horn button at the relay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sausages 

Forgot to say checked fuse 33 and 31 all ok swaped relay over with the one thats exactly the same in the fuse box. I know a bit about auto electrics but not a lot and I have so much to learn. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, Sausages said:

Hi iantt, I have been following this thread with great interest as I have just bought a 2007 smax and I am now finding all the problems I hadn't noticed when I test drove it. Who would have thought to test the horn! Anyway I have done some pilimenery investigations and I think my problem is with the clockspring. I can get the horn to sound when bridged across the relay connections as you suggested to Extrovert but I get no power from the horn switch in the steering wheel when I press the horn button at the relay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sausages 

Hi I have the same problem on my s max, have you found the problem?

6 hours ago, Mynameisbrainstorm said:

Hi I have the same problem on my s max, have you found the problem?

On 9/29/2017 at 11:01 PM, iantt said:

no, bridge the conbectors with a piece of wire or a paper clip

Hi again the horn doesn't work from the two wires at the steering column on my 2008 smax taniumm.

I've checked fuse 31 and 33 and the relay all fine. The horn do sound when bridge at relay. Do get 12.7v at the relay coil pin.

I get 11.7v at the steering horn button also still get 11.7v bypassing the steering clock so I know the squid is fine.

I don't get a loop from the relay to the column so I'm guessing that the wires goes elsewhere first then to the relay?

See photos attached of the plug from left of the clock, the horn dont work if I bridge these pins.

Any ideas please?

20190523_122902_HDR-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Problem solved.

The horn button on steering is wired to a smart box located under the glove box, then on to the relay.

The wire was broken somewhere between smart box to relay.

I found the correct wire by using a wire tracker.

The tracker somehow works though broken wires, multimeter can't.

It's was a green/purple wire see photos attached.

I just installed a new wire and joined it on both ends, finally it works.

20190602_161637.jpg

20190602_161131.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi ian 

I got a Ford s max 2016 model, my steeling wheel buttons none of them work, any suggestions 

thank you