Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using piggy back fuse for dash cam

geepee

Hi folks

anyone help with which fuse I can piggy back on a 15 plate Focus ST? Want to have my dash cam power on/off with ignition if possible, and tidy up stray cabling :)

cheers

Hi alexp999 

and anyone else who can advise.

tried the piggy back fuse for cam today on both fuses suggested, 85 or 86, used a 3amp and 5amp along with the original fuses.

got a good earth but all I'm getting is a red power on light on my cam, won't fire up, no screen etc, any suggestions?

cheers in advance

Looks like it has a parking mode, which means it should come with a PSU that has two live feeds. One permanent the other switched?

Crikey uv got me there m8 lol

in plain english to a not so bright...any idea how I get it to work if at all or do I just stick the cig end back on ?

i don't mind tinkering but not terribly good with the knowledge side :)

cheers

Are you using the power adapter it came with? Is there any instructions about it's parking mode?

Yip using original cable, if I remember correctly it does have a leave on/parking mode option but I had that disabled I think.

Have you got a card fitted? I assume pressing any button doesn't wake it up.

It must have power or the LED wouldn't be on.

Yes m8, just as it was before I tried piggy back, 32gb card in, the wee red light comes on, usually blinks when recording but it's solid, can't get the unit to wake at all, there's a wee bit of heat but tbh that mighta bin like that anyway as I'm not usually handling the cam much, bit puzzled meself

What are you using to create the connection, does it come with a hard wiring kit?

Am gonna tape it back up as previous to see if it fires up on the cig lighter, find out if it's goosed that way :)

Did you just cut the cigarette lighter off? The step down transformer might be inside it, if there is no block along the cable.

Got a couple of piggy back fuses off eBay, crimped up the wires , found a good earth on chassis, stuck it in fuse 86 a think, it was a 10amp, put a 5amp in piggy n fired it up...

Yeah but you can't cut the transformer off, or you'll stick 12V into the cam. Most run on 5V.

• Like 1

If the transformer is not inline (i.e. a block along the cable), you have to use a female socket hard wired in to the fuse box, as the transformer is built in to the lighter plug.

Hopefully your cam is intelligent enough not to have fried itself on 12V....

So..should I be taking the cig charger end to pieces to dig summit out and re align into piggy back system?

No you hard wire something like this in to your fusebox with your piggy back connector, then plug the dashcams cable in to it.

511mLXFSjrL._SL1100_.thumb.jpg.d1c458f1174b39482e400aa34a1c7fc1.jpg

Champion m8, thanks a lot, I take it hard wiring that in is just the same as the piggy back fuse I've got then plug cam into female end?

cheers for your help btw, appreciated👍

Yeah I just bought a female cigarette socket like that and crimped it to a piggy back fuse. Plugged the dashcam cable in to it, then it's all tied up behind the footwell cover.