Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre life

NeilRS

Just wondered if anyone has got a decent mileage of their Edge yet, 20k or so- and wondered how the tyres were doing? And whether all 4 were wearing at the same rate? Many thanks 

Hi NeilRs

Suprisingly I have done just over 10250 miles in my Edge.

Tyre wear good, still look like new, all look to have worn the same amount.

Dave

I'm only on about 8,500 so early days yet to give a decent feedback. 

• 1 month later...

Just over 17,000 mi... At a guess, 5-6mm left

6500 miles so far & no problem. However, when I started out this morning the automatic tyre low pressure warning system sprang to life. I had 24psi in my front right tyre which after visiting the garage to pump up I found out there was a screw embedded in the tyre so I'm off to get it repaired at lunchtime. The system also showed 30psi in all the other tyres which upon checking with the manual/panel inside the front  drivers door they were all 5psi too low (35psi recommended) & obviously have been from new - the warning system was set at 30psi! All now pumped up & the system reset to 35.

So the moral of the story is to check your tyre pressures - I'm hoping the additional 5psi in each tyre may now improve my mpg from around 32 average.

10 hours ago, Trent Edge said:

Just over 17,000 mi... At a guess, 5-6mm left

That might be a bit optimistic, taking an average of 5.5mm all round, your tyres will last over 50k at that rate!  :ohmy:

4 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

6500 miles so far & no problem. However, when I started out this morning the automatic tyre low pressure warning system sprang to life. I had 24psi in my front right tyre which after visiting the garage to pump up I found out there was a screw embedded in the tyre so I'm off to get it repaired at lunchtime. The system also showed 30psi in all the other tyres which upon checking with the manual/panel inside the front  drivers door they were all 5psi too low (35psi recommended) & obviously have been from new - the warning system was set at 30psi! All now pumped up & the system reset to 35.

So the moral of the story is to check your tyre pressures - I'm hoping the additional 5psi in each tyre may now improve my mpg from around 32 average.

6500 miles without checking your tyre pressures ??   I check mine at least once a fortnight and do so when washing the car. Over or under inflated tyres are dangerous and will affect tyre wear. Under inflated will also affect fuel economy to some degree. I’m fortunate to have an air compressor in my garage so I don’t need to go anywhere to inflate them. 

19 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

6500 miles without checking your tyre pressures ??   I check mine at least once a fortnight and do so when washing the car. Over or under inflated tyres are dangerous and will affect tyre wear. Under inflated will also affect fuel economy to some degree. I’m fortunate to have an air compressor in my garage so I don’t need to go anywhere to inflate them. 

Yep never checked them & too much reliance on the automatic tyre pressure system so lesson learnt - I'll have to pop to Halfords for a tyre pressure gauge ;-)Oh the tyre couldn't be fixed, screw was too near the side wall so new tyre required much to my bemusement. Make , size & type of tyre are apparently as common as rocking horse sh*t so I ended up back at Ford after 2 high street tyre places couldn't locate the tyre on their stock system. Oponeo don't stock either. So £270! Only bit of good luck is I purchased the tyre & wheel insurance when I bought the car at Ford so I can claim £200 back.

Wow. I had to pay £240 for each of my 19 inch tyres on my previous Kuga. I haven’t dared look for prices for the 20 inchers on my Edge. 

On 02/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, TomsFocus said:

That might be a bit optimistic, taking an average of 5.5mm all round, your tyres will last over 50k at that rate!  :ohmy:

Sorry yeh, was all a bit of a guess as was away at the time. Mileage bit off as well but...

16,313 mi

5.0mm front and back

• Like 1

Try Blackcircles.com. Replacements for my Sport 245/45 R20 Pirelli Scorpion Verde are £224 fitted ... not that I need them yet. Still on 6340 miles after 11 months!!

16 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Try Blackcircles.com. Replacements for my Sport 245/45 R20 Pirelli Scorpion Verde are £224 fitted ... not that I need them yet. Still on 6340 miles after 11 months!!

I've found some of these sites are charging inflated prices on some tyres fitted.

i have my own tyre machine so I order all my own tyres amongst plenty others. Some of the prices vary wildly between sites! 

40 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I've found some of these sites are charging inflated prices on some tyres fitted.

i have my own tyre machine so I order all my own tyres amongst plenty others. Some of the prices vary wildly between sites! 

Are there any specific sites you use Stef, or just check several of them?  I spent ages looking for tyres over the last few months.  Found TyreComp to be useful for mail order, but prices seem to fluctuate wherever you look - https://www.tyrecomp.co.uk/car-tyres/pirelli-tyres/245-45-r20.htm  

I found asda tyres great for choice and price online. They get them delivered to a local tyre depot of your choice and fitted in the price. The tyre man said they were a bit cheaper than what he could buy them for. Only used on my last car and would definitely try them again when needed!

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Are there any specific sites you use Stef, or just check several of them?  I spent ages looking for tyres over the last few months.  Found TyreComp to be useful for mail order, but prices seem to fluctuate wherever you look - https://www.tyrecomp.co.uk/car-tyres/pirelli-tyres/245-45-r20.htm  

Just the usual ones, some don't offer fitting but the likes of Oponeo, camskill, tyre leader etc.

not keen on black circles as I often find their prices overinflated, pardon the pun lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stef123 said:

I've always used BlackCircles.com and found them to be really competitive. Most of my 'car enthusiast' friends use them too and they don't part with their cash too easily! Where do you normally get your from?

I use Asda tyres great prices some Asda's will fit them but I always choose to have Halfords fit mine and get the tracking done at the same time.

• 2 months later...
On 02/11/2017 at 10:19 AM, Yetiman65 said:

I did same so inflated to 35 psi.  18500 miles on and both fronts replaced due to excessive wear probably due to being overinflated as edges have lots of tread.  Also mpg didn’t improve so my advice would be to but them back to around 30-32psi. 

9 hours ago, Parky27 said:

I did same so inflated to 35 psi.  18500 miles on and both fronts replaced due to excessive wear probably due to being overinflated as edges have lots of tread.  Also mpg didn’t improve so my advice would be to but them back to around 30-32psi. 

You’re probably right as my mpg remains stuck at 33mpg 😂🤣

On 29/09/2017 at 7:55 AM, NeilRS said:

Just wondered if anyone has got a decent mileage of their Edge yet, 20k or so- and wondered how the tyres were doing? And whether all 4 were wearing at the same rate? Many thanks 

I changed all 4 of mine when I realized how ***** dangerous they were in the snow.  

I did that at 13.5k and the fronts had 3.5-4mm left and the backs 5-5.5mm.  I also noticed that the car had been delivered with the tyres under inflated, so much for the PDI, and as I didn't notice straight away that might have accounted for some extra wear.

If you ever want really good tyres for the wet and snow then you will struggle to do better that Nokian Weatherproof SUVs.  They are an all season tyre and at £160 a corner not the cheapest of most expensive (19" wheels).

I’m not looking forward to replacing my 20 inchers. 🙄😧

The Nokian Weatherproof SUVs only go up to 19" so not an option for you I'm afraid.  Other models they do in 20" (different tread pattern) are £170-181 a corner.

Cheers. Better than the originals that Ford quote at about £260 per corner. Ouch. I’ll shop around when the time comes. Probably about half way through their life, or maybe just beyond, at 10000 miles. Not wearing as slowly as I’d like. 

I’m just over 11000 miles and I’d say the fronts are over half worn- which is disappointing. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club