Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo mk4 2.0 petrol issues (A0BA engine)

grebac1122

Hello collegues,

I am driving Mondeo 2008 and I am having some troubles resolving some issues locally in Slovenia due to unfortenately extreamley bad service network directly by Ford.

I have 2 main issues. The catalyc converter seems to be failing (O2 Probes were changed). According to tester the replacement is needed. But because car is 2008, according to Ford, they can't guarantee to get the catalyc converter dissasambled without potential issues on the bolts. Meaning that in case of issues and dammaged bolts the repairs will cost more than 50% of what the car is actually worth. Is there any bypass solution?

2nd issue is cold start. It starts without issues, but dies immedeately. In case I add some throtle I see some black smoke from the exhaust. In case I don't add throtle, engine dies immedeately. After restarting, it works, but few seconds there is issue when adding throtle. After that the engine works withut issues. Spark plugs are new, less than 5000miles.

Any suggestions what to check?

Hi. You have posted your problem in the Focus forum. You will get a better response if you post your question again here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/13-ford-mondeo-vignale-club/

(unless a mod might like to move it - Hint!)

You could also try talkford.co.uk

Good luck

20 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Hi. You have posted your problem in the Focus forum. You will get a better response if you post your question again here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/13-ford-mondeo-vignale-club/

(unless a mod might like to move it - Hint!)

You could also try talkford.co.uk

Good luck

I believe it is better to ask someone like @Stoney871 or @alexp999 very nicely if they would please move it, otherwise we end up with the same question posted all over the place.

As for advising TF, yeah, if you're hankering for a large serving of sarcasm, undue scorn and immaturity - my personal experience of TF anyway...

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

I believe it is better to ask someone like @Stoney871 or @alexp999 very nicely if they would please move it...

Profuse apologies, I wasn't aware of the protocol. (Blimey Stoney, that was quick!)

22 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

...if you're hankering for a large serving of sarcasm, undue scorn and immaturity - my personal experience of TF anyway...

Not my experience I'm glad to say. I wasn't troubled by idiots at all when I asked for help there as a Mondeo Mk3 owner. That was a good while ago though.

Maybe Mondeo Mk3 owners were/are old fogeys and the lippy nerks confined themselves to the 'yoof' motors' forums? :wink:

2 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Profuse apologies, I wasn't aware of the protocol. (Blimey Stoney, that was quick!)

Not my experience I'm glad to say. I wasn't troubled by idiots at all when I asked for help there as a Mondeo Mk3 owner. That was a good while ago though.

Maybe Mondeo Mk3 owners were/are old fogeys and the lippy nerks confined themselves to the 'yoof' motors' forums? :wink:

Uncle Stoney can move quick when he wants to... Especially if there's a croissant involved...

Well I'm glad you had a better experience than I did. That was some time ago too, in a mk3 mondeo. I asked about an EML with limp mode when over 60 and got replies like 'go Google it', 'you bought a ***** car so live with it' etc etc...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Uncle Stoney can move quick when he wants to... Especially if there's a croissant involved...

Especially when oven baked with ham and cheese in it :wub:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Especially when oven baked with ham and cheese in it :wub:

I'm feeling a midnight snack might be on the cards here =p

edit: I notice that we have been entirely unhelpful to the OP here...

Sorry...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But good for the culinary coersion of other members 🥐

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Coercion? You had me at 'oven baked'!!

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 1:20 PM, grebac1122 said:

I have 2 main issues. The catalyc converter seems to be failing (O2 Probes were changed). According to tester the replacement is needed. But because car is 2008, according to Ford, they can't guarantee to get the catalyc converter dissasambled without potential issues on the bolts. Meaning that in case of issues and dammaged bolts the repairs will cost more than 50% of what the car is actually worth. Is there any bypass solution?

2nd issue is cold start. It starts without issues, but dies immedeately. In case I add some throtle I see some black smoke from the exhaust. In case I don't add throtle, engine dies immedeately. After restarting, it works, but few seconds there is issue when adding throtle. After that the engine works withut issues.

Regarding removal of the cat, avoid Ford franchised garages like the plague! Find a good garage, experienced in mechanical repairs on older cars, they should be able to find a way to remove the bolts based on experience and skill, rather than slavishly following published "procedures" from Ford Corporation.

Regarding cold start, I doubt if I can really help much but:

Modern spark ignition cars start in open loop mode. Here the air flow is estimated by the MAF or MAP sensors, and the injectors are given pulses judged to be the right time to deliver the right amount of fuel.

As soon as possible, they switch to closed loop mode, where the O2 sensors are used to trim the injector pulse widths to just the right value to get the mixture exactly right, to enable the cat to do its job, and minimising fuel consumption and emissions.

It may be a problem with the switch over, which may well be down to a failed cat, or wrong type or bad O2 sensors. So until the cat is looked at, it is probably not worth doing much more.

If it is not the cat, then MAF or MAP problems may be the cause, or just something simple like air leaks into the inlet mainifold, including vacuum leaks. Or even exhaust system leaks, as these can upset the O2 sensor readings.

58 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Especially when oven baked with ham and cheese in it

:offtopic:  :tongue:. Though that does sound rather nice!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club