Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Mondeo Titanium Xpack

marantz

Have just joined to see if any member can help with number plate lamp removal.I have tried everything as I want to replace with a rear camera/lamp.I can unclip  it and it pulls down a bit but with not move down any further.If anyone can help please post.Thanks everyone.

Is it just the lamp you are removing? The wire is really really short on them, there should be a plug about 2" back from the lamp housing connecting it to the wiring harness.

How are you doing the camera? What are you doing about viewing screen and power etc? I presume you are meaning a reverse camera and not a rear dash cam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to replace the whole lamp housing with one that has an led for the number plate light and the camera is built in.Also this will be attached to a wireless transmitter.At the dash end I will have a wireless receiver with a 4.3 monitor.Ebay is full of these kits.But as I said the lamp housing only drops down about half an inch.

Thanks

You just have to be brave then and pull a bit harder. I take it that you have the Sync2 at least, maybe the Sync3? Why don't you use the sync screen for the reverse cam?

I wish you all the best with this one but would advise (though based on others' experience rather than my own) against a wireless kit for it.

Firstly there is plenty of chance for interference and a lot of pretty solid car and possibly people for the signal to get through.

Secondly anything that "eBay is full of" is very likely to be of Chinese manufacture and possibly not great quality. Having said that I have had some Chinese bits and bobs come through and have been very impressed. So far...

Is there not a way of wiring directly into your SYNC screen? A lot of guys have done it to the focus with an aftermarket Russian module so it behaves like oem - iirc @kpg @Victoryand @vibeone have done rear cameras fairly recently and many other chaps are super knowledgeable about it too...

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for answering as I did look into getting the camera image on my sync3 screen but we are talking up £500 for fitting.My local dealer could not do it.

Can this be done as a DIY cheaper?

Yes, it can be done for less than £30. I've done it on my Mk5 and helped a few others do theirs too, works on the sync 2 and 3 screen.

Just here because I got @'ed.  I did do it on the focus.  It involves wiring into a main connector near the BCM ECU.  It's focus specific, and I don't know if there is a mondeo version.  You end up with pretty much an OEM camera install, but it's a bit nerve wracking! 

http://pro-ford.com/focus/ford-focus-3/sistemy-bezopasnosti-ohrany-i-pomoschi/kamery-zadnego-vida-i-ekrany/neoriginalnyy-modul-kamery-ekrana-mfd5/?currency=USD&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals&utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals is what I bought, but they don't seem to do a mondeo version currently.

• Like 1

For the Mondeo you don't need to buy anything like that, or go anywhere near the ECU. Parts required are; camera, ELM327 cable, extended Forscan licence, some heat shrink, solder and a few metres of 2 Core wire. Cost all in is about £30. The OEM wires are already in place all the way up to the C pillar, all you need to do is route the wires from the camera to that point. Connect up the wires, enable the camera settings on Forscan and you're done, the picture displays on the Sync screen.

Thanks for explaining what needs to be done as regards the rear camera and I'm going to have to look into this and see what I can do myself.A bit more research I think is needed before I would undertake this.Thanks Jonro2009.

• Like 1

I have done a write up on the installation if that would be any use to you?
It's quite an easy job if you are confident taking trim off, which is pretty easy on the Mk5. Using Forscan is a little trickier but if you are computer literate the programme is very intuitive. To save yourself £470 it's worth having a go at it. Before deciding to do it and getting the bits and pieces I would recommend you check that the wires are insitu back to the Sync unit. A friend has just followed my guide on his 2017 st line and it works like a dream. The only draw back is that the lines do not move when you turn the steering wheel but that wasn't really an issue for me, I Andy need the camera so I can get tight up against the wall at work.

Just as a quick mention, porbably not related to the Mondeo, the Russian module I got for my MK3 Focus is on the blink I think. Camera stopped working so that's now removed but when I select reverse I still get a static screen pattern anyway.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

When you say module you don't mean the camera do you @kpg ? The camera is the only thing you need to buy for the Mondeo build really, no modules

When you say module you don't mean the camera do you [mention=41109]kpg[/mention] ? The camera is the only thing you need to buy for the Mondeo build really, no modules

An aftermarket module is needed for the FocusMK3 to force the screen to show camera when in reverse. This isn't needed for the Mondeo.

• Like 1

Thanks for more info,a write up would be great.Ill have to start removing trims and look for the sync cable.Thanks to everyone of yous who took the time to help me.

• Like 2

Thanks for more info,a write up would be great.Ill have to start removing trims and look for the sync cable.Thanks to everyone of yous who took the time to help me.
I have a small write-up on my progress thread but most of it is specific the the Focus. You can have a look anyways, you might see something that helps.

An aftermarket module is needed for the FocusMK3 to force the screen to show camera when in reverse. This isn't needed for the Mondeo.

I wasn't aware you needed to have an aftermarket module.

I can PM you the write up, I'll just need to find it.

• Like 1

Maybe there's another method of doing it since. This is just the way I did it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the help.

• 3 months later...
On 04/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, Jonro2009 said:

Hi. 

Please could you send me the write up on this???

Doing camera install on my Mondeo 

Hi. 
Please could you send me the write up on this???
Doing camera install on my Mondeo 

I have emailed the guide to you

• 2 years later...
On 10/4/2017 at 3:13 AM, Jonro2009 said:

I have done a write up on the installation if that would be any use to you?
It's quite an easy job if you are confident taking trim off, which is pretty easy on the Mk5. Using Forscan is a little trickier but if you are computer literate the programme is very intuitive. To save yourself £470 it's worth having a go at it. Before deciding to do it and getting the bits and pieces I would recommend you check that the wires are insitu back to the Sync unit. A friend has just followed my guide on his 2017 st line and it works like a dream. The only draw back is that the lines do not move when you turn the steering wheel but that wasn't really an issue for me, I Andy need the camera so I can get tight up against the wall at work.

High could you send me the write up please.

High could you send me the write up please.
Do you have Facebook?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club