Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First engine breakdown in decades

auldreekie

First breakdown with my 2014 fiesta titanium 1.0L ecoboost petrol, 15079 miles on the clock.

After a run of approx 15-20 miles the car suddenly lost power and started sputtering (is that actually  a word?) 
No warning lights appearing on dash for example engine management light,.

At first I thought it was a misfire but idle became very rough and a bit of vibration. A look under the bonnet but no obvious signs to indicate a problem, water level was ok and no leaks, eventually the engine would not start, nice fast turn from the starting motor though so not a battery problem
Definitely not wrong fuel cos it is running on the same tankful it has had all week. Apparently a bit smoky out the exhaust I'm told. Ive never noticed it tbh then again the wife drives it more than me.
Wife said she noticed a shudder earlier in the week and noticed smoke from the rear only because she was driving at night and car headlights in rearview mirror showed the smoke. She never thought to tell me Duh!

Green Flag put the car on the truck and is now at a Ford Garage, they won't be able to look at it until Tuesday.

Any guesses what this fault might be? Hopefully not too expensive, This garage is apparently well recommended although a Ford dealer but not in the same league as that other well known entity Evxxxxx xxxxx.

I'm not a harsh driver, at 67 yrs old I'm past tearing up and down the road..If the car had been 30 yrs old I would probably have been able to diagnose the problem, not with all this computer stuff on them nowadays, I'm lost.:blink::blink:

Unfortunately no warranty left, I bought this car in March this year.

Apart from Pre-Delivery Inspection at the first dealer all other Arnold Clark service stamps Feb 2015 Feb 2016 and March 2017 when I bought it  are in the service book, I'm told it was serviced just before I paid for it.  No  invoices of any work done but the invoice numbers for 2015 and 2015 are listed, no invoice number when I got the car.

Perhaps I should have queried why no invoice number when I purchased it but the excitement of the day getting a new motor probably caused me not to notice it.

20 minutes ago, auldreekie said:

expensive?

I tend to be a bit pessimistic when giving prices as they're always dealer figures and often based on non-Ford cars, but I'd say about £250-300. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to be a little more accurate

Where did you last fuel up? Maybe give them a quick call see if anyone else has reported any issues.

I'd thought about that but the last fuel up was a week ago and Ive done about about 250 miles and not been any top up since, car has been running fine so i sorta ruled out any problems with petrol from the garage, surely if petrol had been contaminated it would have shown up a prblem earlier.

Would the petrol station readily admit to a problem with their fuel after a week?

15 hours ago, auldreekie said:

I'd thought about that but the last fuel up was a week ago and Ive done about about 250 miles and not been any top up since, car has been running fine so i sorta ruled out any problems with petrol from the garage, surely if petrol had been contaminated it would have shown up a prblem earlier.

Would the petrol station readily admit to a problem with their fuel after a week?

It really depends on the type of contamination present and when that will manifest itself as you work through the tank. The petrol station will not admit but they should share any concerns brought forward to them. 

Ford Garage phoned a short while ago, they tell me the fuel pump in knackered, supply and fit £150,, hopefully that will sole the problem.

Is the fuel pump on a 2014 fiesta titanium 1.0 l ecoboost breaking down at 15000 mls a common problem with this model?

30 minutes ago, auldreekie said:

Ford Garage phoned a short while ago, they tell me the fuel pump in knackered, supply and fit £150,, hopefully that will sole the problem.

Is the fuel pump on a 2014 fiesta titanium 1.0 l ecoboost breaking down at 15000 mls a common problem with this model?

Looking at Honest John only one Fuel pump issue:

16-5-2014: Low pressure fuel tank pump failed on month old 2014 Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost. Same fuel pump type no longer available and reader waiting for almost 2 weeks for new type of replacement pump.

Lots of trouble with the Auto box

A mass action lawsuit has been filed,  against Ford Motor Company claiming a defective PowerShift transmission in Ford Focus models from 2012-2015 and Ford Fiesta models from 2011-2015.

and few engine problems:

30-8-2017: Report of 2014 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost needing two new engines and now back at the dealer with the same problem. They are now saying it is the waterpump, but the symptoms are the same as before, white smoke coming from exhaust, high engine temp and loss of coolant.

that was depressing reading, makes me want to sell it on and go for another manufacturer, unfortunately I can't afford that just now.😔

16 hours ago, iantt said:

i wouldnt read to much into that lot.

So true

• Like 1

with the amount of these motors these are a very rare occurrence. it like any product that manages to slip past the quality inspection, these things happen. it would be different if it was a common fault that ford dont fix.

• Like 1

Got the car back and now mobile again, according to the invoice and garage there was a internal fault in the fuel pump and no pressure from it. I think this pump certainly got missed by quality inspection, I'd have expected a fuel pump to last 50000 miles plus, not 15000. Not amused, I daresay being out of warranty  a email to Ford asking for a contribution to the repair bill will be a waste of time :-)

to find out put your reg in www.etis.ford.com

Build Date: 10.01.2014

1st registered: 01/03/2014

there was a batch of faulty fuel pumps but yours is outside the date range of those

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club