Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wooing noise?

Anderson

Hello guys, hard to explain this one... I noticed recently that when stationary and begin accelerating (especially if i turn the steering wheel more to the left or remain in the middle) i notice a - what i can only describe as a "wooing" noise, almost like wind passing by at high speed? and it starts fairly low register, but as you pick up speed, the pitch increases an increases, until you're at about 30-40MPH at which point the general car noises start to takeover and out weigh the wooing noise, but it can still be heard...even as far as 50-60 at times. I cannot figure out where it is coming from....but it would seem as though the rear and if I turn left or have the wheel straight, it is seemingly louder?  but if I turn right, it becomes slightly quieter but this could just be my ears playing tricks as it is hard to reproduce this.

I'm suspecting bearings? perhaps? any way i can confirm this without taking to a garage who will say "yes, charge me it" and that not solve the problem lol.

What are your tyres like? I know when mine need replaced as I can hear the difference which I suspect is caused by the ‘wear indicators’ as the tyre starts to get close to the limits.

Again, it could be a bearing, jack up a wheel and spin the wheel by hand, you’ll soon know if one of the bearings have gone by listening to the sound.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem, although my "wooing" noise was more of a whine than a wooing. In the end it turned out to be the power steering pump. They had replaced the pump after I was having some steering problems and the the new pump started to make this wooing/whining noise, particularly when accelerating. It was especially noticeable in a lower gear. I returned to the garage and they said that the noise was definitely the power steering pump and that it would be more noticeable whilst getting up to speed as a result of the higher revolutions when accelerating. They did say it had something to do with there being air in the power steering system that needed to be purged. Not a hundred percent on how exactly this worked but after they drained the fluid and changed the liquid it was fine. 

It may be worth checking your power steering fluid level

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club