Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which tyres?

Zico

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Because they crashed when there tyres blew out? Lol

Haha! :lol:

I've actually been looking more closely at repairs done previously to tyres and thinking either that's been done by a monkey or I'm just a looser for following the book and not just rushing it to get it out the door as quick as.

Am I the only person who appears to seal a repaired area inside the tyre with liner sealer? :mellow: 

14 hours ago, stef123 said:

that's depends on what you define as irreparable.

21740463_281085705740033_6056532350242052834_n.jpg

21761713_281085719073365_7192447390742216289_n.jpg

What even is that in there? :unsure: 

I've had a couple of puncture repairs done properly in the past, didn't have any issue with them tbf.  But for what the garages charge to do them now, you're often half way to a new tyre anyway!  I've also had some part worns, part of the issue there is rubber degradation so age needs to be checked.  The other issue is internal damage that can't be seen, always a gamble that tbh...and we've all seen the way some people mount kerbs! :laugh: 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What even is that in there? :unsure: 

I've had a couple of puncture repairs done properly in the past, didn't have any issue with them tbf.  But for what the garages charge to do them now, you're often half way to a new tyre anyway!  I've also had some part worns, part of the issue there is rubber degradation so age needs to be checked.  The other issue is internal damage that can't be seen, always a gamble that tbh...and we've all seen the way some people mount kerbs! :laugh: 

I have no idea what it is lol.

my brother brought a tyre to me after driving a couple of miles when it was flat. I took the tyre of the rim to show him it would be burst inside, I was greeted with about 20% of the rubber in a powder formula :lol: I had to get the brush and shovel to clean the tyre machine and the floor. 

The going rate for a repair around my way is around £15. 

Part worns I always thoroughly inspect, check for visible damage, the date etc but as I tell people. If you bought a second hand car, you are essentially buying part worn tyres so does it make any odds? Not really, atleast with a part worn you can get the chance to inspect the inside. No one buys a second hand car and replaces all 4 tyres do they. 

Lol, I had a similar issue when I bought the ST last year, being low profile and extra load tyres it wasn't obvious to see one was flat.  But it made a hell of a noise and pulled as well.  Filled it up with the garage air machine but still had an odd noise, sounded like a duff wheel bearing.  Jacked up and the bearing felt fine but sounded awful.  Anyway the tyre had a major cut on the inside so I took it to a mate to have the tyre swapped over...when he popped the old tyre off there was basically an explosion of tiny rubber balls all over the place, they must have been rolling around causing the rotational noise... :blush:  No idea how long it'd been flat for, but obviously longer than the day or so that I'd used it!!

I was quoted £20 and £25 to have a puncture repair done last year. :ohmy:  National Tyres had an offer on for a 'free' repair - though it was only free if you bought the valve and balance at £15 lol.  If it's a fairly new or large tyre it might be worth it, but on a common size that was already quite worn it made more sense just to replace it.

When I buy a second hand car I often do replace at least one pair of tyres...  They're either on the wear bars, lost endges or cheap Chinese rubbish...  But that probably says more about my car buying skills than the majority of used cars. :lol: 

• Like 1

" but as I tell people. If you bought a second hand car, you are essentially buying part worn tyres so does it make any odds?. No one buys a second hand car and replaces all 4 tyres do they. "

I've been telling people this for years but they just don't get it. They seem to think that buying a 2nd hand tyre is a million times worse than buying a 2nd hand car

• Like 1

When you see how much rubber falls out it makes you thankful it never went on a motorway for sure!

£25 for a repair :lol: certainly would tempt you to just buy new at those prices!

Replacing tyres due to them being worn or Chinese rubbish I guess is part of your 'terms' of the purchase more than I'm not using someone else's tyres because I don't know where they have been so fair enough on that point. 

• Like 1

I must admit I am one of those people Isetta! I would never consider buying part worn tyres but I have never given it a second thought that, as you have both pointed out,  I am getting part worn tyres on every second hand car I've bought. 

All that said I still wouldn't change my position - I have a choice when it comes to replacing tyres and would always buy new, but I don't have a choice as to what comes on the car (notwithstanding the fact that I could change them straight away but I don't feel strongly enough about the risks to feel the need to do so.)

• Like 1

There was one tyre brand (I think it's nexen) which isn't going for too much and is put on some cars from factory. I think my dad bought a set of these tires when he bought some golf anniversary rims. 

On 12/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, TomsFocus said:

Lol, I had a similar issue when I bought the ST last year, being low profile and extra load tyres it wasn't obvious to see one was flat.  But it made a hell of a noise and pulled as well.  Filled it up with the garage air machine but still had an odd noise, sounded like a duff wheel bearing.  Jacked up and the bearing felt fine but sounded awful.  Anyway the tyre had a major cut on the inside so I took it to a mate to have the tyre swapped over...when he popped the old tyre off there was basically an explosion of tiny rubber balls all over the place, they must have been rolling around causing the rotational noise... :blush:  No idea how long it'd been flat for, but obviously longer than the day or so that I'd used it!!

I was quoted £20 and £25 to have a puncture repair done last year. :ohmy:  National Tyres had an offer on for a 'free' repair - though it was only free if you bought the valve and balance at £15 lol.  If it's a fairly new or large tyre it might be worth it, but on a common size that was already quite worn it made more sense just to replace it.

When I buy a second hand car I often do replace at least one pair of tyres...  They're either on the wear bars, lost endges or cheap Chinese rubbish...  But that probably says more about my car buying skills than the majority of used cars. :lol: 

One of my front tires was losing a considerable amount of air so had to put the spare wheel on. Had an advisory also about both front wheels being slightly mishapen. The disadvantages of having low profile tires: less tire so less of a cushion to soak up bumps so the rim is more prone to buckling, ride comfort a little more bad. 

Go for the midrange tires, rest depends on your driving style. or you can buy another set of tires and shuffle them fro some extra run.

• 3 weeks later...

My fronts aren't far off needing replacing (~2.5mm).

When I get my new tyres I am going to put them on the rear and put the rears (6mm tread) on the front.

When you guys rotate tyres like this, do you do a straight swap (rear right to front right) or cross them over (rear right to front left)...?

If they are directional tyres then you'll have no choice (aside of course from getting the tyres refitted the other way round).

If they're not directional then there could be some benefit in swapping left-to-right at the same time as the left will have worn slightly more given it takes most of the load on roundabouts. (Same reason that nearside wheel bearings tend to fail more frequently) 

They are not directional tyres, so I think I will swap them left-to-right as well.

Does anyone have any opinions on the following tyres:

• Avon ZV7 (£76.73)
  • Dunlop Sport BluResponse (£92.99)
  • Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (£101.41)

All of these seem quite expensive and I think its because of the slightly rare tyre size (195/50 R16)... Is there another tyre size which fits the Fiesta mk7.5 titanium and would potentially be a bit cheaper? Also, will it cause a problem having slightly wider profile tyres on the rear than the front?

I've got the Dunlops and whilst I'd like to say how pleased I am with them I've never really been that able to differentiate between different makes. Longevity is obviously objective but it's too early to tell, but in terms of performance I've never noticed any significant differences beyond that which could be down to the fact that new will feel different to worn. Maybe I just don't push the car enough in my old age... ;-) 

• Like 1

It might be worth looking at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk, not so much for the user reviews but the group tyre tests that many/most tyres have been through at some point. That's how I ended up with the Dunlops. 

Whilst I don't know if it makes any difference where they  are made - could it?  I used many Bridgestone B391 tyres (175/65/14) on my previous Fiesta. All looked identical other than some were made in Spain and some made in Poland. It is quite likely the manufacturer made sure the spec was the same but maybe the rubber came from a different source depending on whether I had the Spanish or Polish ones.  I say this in case a test/review is done on a model of tyre made in one country and whether or not it would have been the same with the same model tyre from another country. I did not notice any difference but I never really noticed any difference on other makes either (but I don't really drive in a manner which would show up the difference)

• 2 years later...

I wonder if any of you went for the 2018 ST and how would you compare it? Does anyone miss the MK7 Fiesta?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club