Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta ZS Thefts

m_fairfax

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's a bump key, it's what locksmiths use to match a new key to your door lock barrel when you lose yours.  Obviously these end up in the wrong hands though!

From what i've been told from the police and what i've looked at online it doesn't seem to be a bump key. They described it as a cylindrical device about the size of a pen

i guess you could get a new passenger handle and remove the lock but that would be bad if your key stopped working. iv looked on eBay and im getting a steering lock and a clutch lock so the car cant be started , i may get two and lock the gas pedal too, never be to safe at the moment.

A bit of general discussion is fine. But please don't post links to any tools, equipment or guides that can be used to break in to cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, m_fairfax said:

From what i've been told from the police and what i've looked at online it doesn't seem to be a bump key. They described it as a cylindrical device about the size of a pen

I may have given it the wrong name, but it is a locksmith tool.  You can buy them online cheaply enough, I won't put a link on here though lol.

Sad reality is, unless you cause yourself excess hassle by fitting steering wheel locks, clutch locks, even a wheel clamp or 4, they'll still be able to take it in one way or another.  OBD relocation is a good idea but I wonder how many people fit the stickers without actually doing it...if I was nicking one I'd probably still open the door or smash the window to check.  Broken window and a few missing CDs may be better than losing the whole car but I'm not sure I'd want a car back after it'd been broken into or stolen tbh.

I'm more interested in how they're selling the cars afterwards.  They should be quickly picked up by ANPR or a HPI check - presumably most are financed these days.  I can't imagine there is enough demand for parts for them to be stripping them and just selling the parts on.  And I'm certain there isn't a foreign demand for them like big off roaders etc.  So how are they making money from it?

If you were doing it at night you'd have less chance of being spotted I guess, take it anywhere and do an overnight strip of key components? When you see the price of individual parts they massively exceed the price of a complete car and most parts don't have I'd tags/numbers

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

A bit of general discussion is fine. But please don't post links to any tools, equipment or guides that can be used to break in to cars.

Apologies Alex, that was stupid of me :wallbash:

Yeah i would imagine they are being stripped down and sold for parts. There must be some sort of black market demand though for these cars due to how many have been stolen in my local area in such a short space of time. Is it even possible that they are doing them up (respray, slight modifications and repairs) and selling them on privately?

3 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

i guess you could get a new passenger handle and remove the lock but that would be bad if your key stopped working. iv looked on ebay and im getting a steering lock and a clutch lock so the car cant be started , i may get two and lock the gas pedal too, never be to safe at the moment.

Yeah i would too looking at that beauty. They would snap that up in a heart beat if they wanted to. Lush car by the way mate good work! Keep it safe!!

27 minutes ago, m_fairfax said:

Yeah i would too looking at that beauty. They would snap that up in a heart beat if they wanted to. Lush car by the way mate good work! Keep it safe!!

thanks mate appreciate it. you work hard to get you car how you want it and when you do you get these scum come take it, as my post up top about the two lads, the police recon its a gang thats targeting fords. due to the amount that are going missing 

Just now, AlexBartlam said:

thanks mate appreciate it. you work hard to get you car how you want it and when you do you get these scum come take it, as my post up top about the two lads, the police recon its a gang thats targeting fords. due to the amount that are going missing 

Yeah i know it's disgraceful mate. Will probably be getting a JCW mini when my claim comes through, hopefully couple of weeks time. I'll still knock about this forum though, so you lot aren't rid of me just yet :biggrin:

I believe the tool my fellow Officers are referring to are the ones for opening Tibbe locks.
The current Laser key locks are much harder to pick but obviously still doable and readily available.
Obviously the thieving scrots still have to dupe the car into thinking that an immobiliser chipped key is present.
If you unlock your car using a physical key in the lock you still need to get past the fact that the alarm will go off if an immobiliser is not detected within 10 seconds.
Best option to make them go elsewhere is block or move the obd port.
While they are hunting for the port the alarm will drive them off.
I have a moved & dummied port, clutch pedal lock, tracker and cctv so good luck to any tea leaf that selects my car.
If they get past all that then there is also a Belgian Malinois with 42 sharp teeth waiting to take a chunk out of their thieving little arses.
[emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The things thieves will do to just take what you have worked hard for, it’s sickening. It seems that for every step forward the car manufacturers make, the thieves make the same step quite soon after. Like @alexp999 says, the ‘old fashioned’ methods are the best. A disclock on the steering wheel, a pedal lock or a wheel clamp seem to be the best way to deter and slow a thief down. I saw a wheel clamp for £35 the other day, thought that was quite cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted the other day on another thread about this. Had my Zetec S with keyless start stolen a few years ago. I am driving a Metal now and have had the OBD port moved. Mine was broken up for parts. It does not look like Ford have done anything to solve this problem. 

A lot of cars are containerised and shipped out to Africa or eastern Europe.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, sioneon said:

If you were doing it at night you'd have less chance of being spotted I guess, take it anywhere and do an overnight strip of key components? When you see the price of individual parts they massively exceed the price of a complete car and most parts don't have I'd tags/numbers

If you could sell all the parts yeah...but I've stripped quite a few cars (fully legally I should add lol!), it takes ages to sell parts, need a lot of storage space and newer cars tend to need fewer parts as well.  Upgrade parts are easy to shift like a spoiler or side skirts, and I suppose there are a few minor bumps in them which require bumpers, but I just can't see a demand for most parts from fairly new cars. :unsure: 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:44 PM, m_fairfax said:

Is it even possible that they are doing them up (respray, slight modifications and repairs) and selling them on privately?

Los Santos Customs doesn't work in real life...  :laugh:  They'd still have the same number plates so be picked up by ANPR or HPI once they've been reported stolen.  

9 hours ago, karl46 said:

A lot of cars are containerised and shipped out to Africa or eastern Europe.

Why would they want Fiesta's over there?  The low profile tyres and low stance are bad enough with UK potholes and speed bumps, they'd be useless there lol!  I know big 4WD cars are stolen to be shipped over to Africa but Fiestas? :ohmy:

51 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If you could sell all the parts yeah...but I've stripped quite a few cars (fully legally I should add lol!), it takes ages to sell parts, need a lot of storage space and newer cars tend to need fewer parts as well.  Upgrade parts are easy to shift like a spoiler or side skirts, and I suppose there are a few minor bumps in them which require bumpers, but I just can't see a demand for most parts from fairly new cars. :unsure: 

Los Santos Customs doesn't work in real life...  :laugh:  They'd still have the same number plates so be picked up by ANPR or HPI once they've been reported stolen.  

Why would they want Fiesta's over there?  The low profile tyres and low stance are bad enough with UK potholes and speed bumps, they'd be useless there lol!  I know big 4WD cars are stolen to be shipped over to Africa but Fiestas? :ohmy:

Los santos customs hahaha that brings me back :yucky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, m_fairfax said:

Los Santos Customs

i wish it was that easy take a smashed million dollar super car and fully repair to brand spanking new for like $800 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not to mention losing all police heat regardless of what you've done... :laugh:

If you just wanted to repair your million dollar car you could just park it in your safe house garage... :lol:

They don't make 'em like they used to... :sad:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With my Fiesta, I just removed the fuse to the OBD port. At least it would have kept them rifling around the car long enough for the alarm to go off.

Also, some people are suggesting pouches that have Faraday cages built into them.  It'll block the key's signal, which prevents it from being copied.  I don't know how effective these are proving to be in the real world as it seems as though only some of the problem is the signal being copied, with the rest being a security flaw in the OBD port.  However, reviews of several products on amazon suggest that they are effective at at least blocking the key's signal and they cost as little as a fiver  So leaving your car key on the coffee table at night should at least be OK if some criminals from an eastern European country beginning with R (fact is, most are from here, and I am not being xenophobic) want to visit your home. These pouches should also help with the thefts that have been reported on the M4 at service stations in Berkshire and Wiltshire which were intercepting signals from keys.  As someone who has owned three cars with keyless entry, who uses the M4 a lot - I was very interested to hear about these!

I am starting to wonder how much longer it'll be until fingerprint sensors are on cars.  I was using them 15 years ago when I worked at Royal Mail's international mail hub. They have been on laptops and PDAs (remember those?!) for years and now they are becoming commonplace on all but budget smartphones.  I believe some high end cars can already pair with a smartphone which can then be used to unlock and start the vehicle using the fingerprint scanner on the phone.  Maybe this will be usual, rather than fingerprint scanners on cars?!

35 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

Also, some people are suggesting pouches that have Faraday cages built into them.  It'll block the key's signal, which prevents it from being copied.  I don't know how effective these are proving to be in the real world as it seems as though only some of the problem is the signal being copied

Interesting idea. I have a wallet which was around a tenner that blocks RFID - I wonder if the same would work on or at least limit the distance (enough to prevent the range extender method) on a keyless car. 

I don't have keyless so can't test, but if anyone does have both would be interesting to know. 

I have keyless and put my car keys in a lockable key case when not in use.
Keyfree keys do give out a periodic signal pulse as discovered using a key RF tester.
Putting the keys in a metal 'keypress' case effectively blocks the pulse signal and also reduces the risk of 2 for 1 burglary whereby they steal from your property then take your car for afters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, GaryPL said:

With my Fiesta, I just removed the fuse to the OBD port. At least it would have kept them rifling around the car long enough for the alarm to go off.

Also, some people are suggesting pouches that have Faraday cages built into them.  It'll block the key's signal, which prevents it from being copied.  I don't know how effective these are proving to be in the real world as it seems as though only some of the problem is the signal being copied, with the rest being a security flaw in the OBD port.  However, reviews of several products on Amazon suggest that they are effective at at least blocking the key's signal and they cost as little as a fiver  So leaving your car key on the coffee table at night should at least be OK if some criminals from an eastern European country beginning with R (fact is, most are from here, and I am not being xenophobic) want to visit your home. These pouches should also help with the thefts that have been reported on the M4 at service stations in Berkshire and Wiltshire which were intercepting signals from keys.  As someone who has owned three cars with keyless entry, who uses the M4 a lot - I was very interested to hear about these!

I am starting to wonder how much longer it'll be until fingerprint sensors are on cars.  I was using them 15 years ago when I worked at Royal Mail's international mail hub. They have been on laptops and PDAs (remember those?!) for years and now they are becoming commonplace on all but budget smartphones.  I believe some high end cars can already pair with a smartphone which can then be used to unlock and start the vehicle using the fingerprint scanner on the phone.  Maybe this will be usual, rather than fingerprint scanners on cars?!

Good advice with the Faraday cages, however as previously mentioned my door was picked therefore this wouldn't have worked. My car wasn't keyless