1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's a bump key, it's what locksmiths use to match a new key to your door lock barrel when you lose yours.  Obviously these end up in the wrong hands though!

From what i've been told from the police and what i've looked at online it doesn't seem to be a bump key. They described it as a cylindrical device about the size of a pen

i guess you could get a new passenger handle and remove the lock but that would be bad if your key stopped working. iv looked on ebay and im getting a steering lock and a clutch lock so the car cant be started , i may get two and lock the gas pedal too, never be to safe at the moment.

9 minutes ago, m_fairfax said:

From what i've been told from the police and what i've looked at online it doesn't seem to be a bump key. They described it as a cylindrical device about the size of a pen

I may have given it the wrong name, but it is a locksmith tool.  You can buy them online cheaply enough, I won't put a link on here though lol.

Sad reality is, unless you cause yourself excess hassle by fitting steering wheel locks, clutch locks, even a wheel clamp or 4, they'll still be able to take it in one way or another.  OBD relocation is a good idea but I wonder how many people fit the stickers without actually doing it...if I was nicking one I'd probably still open the door or smash the window to check.  Broken window and a few missing CDs may be better than losing the whole car but I'm not sure I'd want a car back after it'd been broken into or stolen tbh.

I'm more interested in how they're selling the cars afterwards.  They should be quickly picked up by ANPR or a HPI check - presumably most are financed these days.  I can't imagine there is enough demand for parts for them to be stripping them and just selling the parts on.  And I'm certain there isn't a foreign demand for them like big off roaders etc.  So how are they making money from it?

If you were doing it at night you'd have less chance of being spotted I guess, take it anywhere and do an overnight strip of key components? When you see the price of individual parts they massively exceed the price of a complete car and most parts don't have I'd tags/numbers

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

A bit of general discussion is fine. But please don't post links to any tools, equipment or guides that can be used to break in to cars.

Apologies Alex, that was stupid of me :wallbash:

Yeah i would imagine they are being stripped down and sold for parts. There must be some sort of black market demand though for these cars due to how many have been stolen in my local area in such a short space of time. Is it even possible that they are doing them up (respray, slight modifications and repairs) and selling them on privately?

3 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

i guess you could get a new passenger handle and remove the lock but that would be bad if your key stopped working. iv looked on ebay and im getting a steering lock and a clutch lock so the car cant be started , i may get two and lock the gas pedal too, never be to safe at the moment.

Yeah i would too looking at that beauty. They would snap that up in a heart beat if they wanted to. Lush car by the way mate good work! Keep it safe!!

27 minutes ago, m_fairfax said:

Yeah i would too looking at that beauty. They would snap that up in a heart beat if they wanted to. Lush car by the way mate good work! Keep it safe!!

thanks mate appreciate it. you work hard to get you car how you want it and when you do you get these scum come take it, as my post up top about the two lads, the police recon its a gang thats targeting fords. due to the amount that are going missing 

Just now, AlexBartlam said:

thanks mate appreciate it. you work hard to get you car how you want it and when you do you get these scum come take it, as my post up top about the two lads, the police recon its a gang thats targeting fords. due to the amount that are going missing 

Yeah i know it's disgraceful mate. Will probably be getting a JCW mini when my claim comes through, hopefully couple of weeks time. I'll still knock about this forum though, so you lot aren't rid of me just yet :biggrin:

I believe the tool my fellow Officers are referring to are the ones for opening Tibbe locks.
The current Laser key locks are much harder to pick but obviously still doable and readily available.
Obviously the thieving scrots still have to dupe the car into thinking that an immobiliser chipped key is present.
If you unlock your car using a physical key in the lock you still need to get past the fact that the alarm will go off if an immobiliser is not detected within 10 seconds.
Best option to make them go elsewhere is block or move the obd port.
While they are hunting for the port the alarm will drive them off.
I have a moved & dummied port, clutch pedal lock, tracker and cctv so good luck to any tea leaf that selects my car.
If they get past all that then there is also a Belgian Malinois with 42 sharp teeth waiting to take a chunk out of their thieving little arses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The things thieves will do to just take what you have worked hard for, it’s sickening. It seems that for every step forward the car manufacturers make, the thieves make the same step quite soon after. Like @alexp999 says, the ‘old fashioned’ methods are the best. A disclock on the steering wheel, a pedal lock or a wheel clamp seem to be the best way to deter and slow a thief down. I saw a wheel clamp for £35 the other day, thought that was quite cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk