Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash problem

Deano2606

I took the dash out of my car after refitting it the car wont crank says engine fault with pats code 16 its the same dash only out 10 mins now cars dead 

I think if your car is a mk2 focus, you may have inadvertantly caused the dreaded common fault with them.

If you can get a code reader on it it may confirm the theory.

@Tdci-Peter has a great guide on fixing this yourself if you can use a soldering iron or  @Xxnamxx could put you in touch with a guy on eBay who can repair for a reasonable sum as s/he has just had the same problem.

I think it has something to do with bad solder joints on the main connector which just need reflowing, correct me if I'm wrong Peter.

Good luck.

Here's the post I meant. I think it has advice from Peter on it

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/96200-car-wont-crank/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deano2606 said:

I took the dash out of my car after refitting it the car wont crank says engine fault with pats code 16

It might be useful to know why the dash (IC) was removed!

However, the 2006 IC is rather notorious for bad solder connections to the main connector. So removing it may have disturbed the weak solder connections. It is the though hole soldering from the pcb to the connector that seems to be the most vulnerable bit.

You can check the connections with a multimeter, or measure the resistance between the CAN bus lines, using pins 6-14 in the diagnostic connector. This should be 60 ohms, it will read about 120 ohms if the solder joint to the connector has failed.

This certainly will give PATS code 16, amongst other symptoms.

• Like 1

Had two mechanics out cant get reading from obd port rac told me to take to ford to find problem told him cheaper to buy another car 

45 minutes ago, Deano2606 said:

cant get reading from obd port

The OBD port uses the same pair of wires (the HS-CAN bus) as the PCM & IC use to communicate. There is also 12v and ground, with a fuse (F46 or F107 in later cars) for the 12v. But if the 12v & ground are ok, it must be those HS-CAN wiring connections.

• 3 weeks later...

If you still require a repair then i used a guy on eBay called dieselpumprepair2 had a quick turn around of under a week and he gives warranty (lifetime i think). Lots of other listings on eBay aswell if you want to try someone else.

P.S It cost me £49.99, I think if he gets it and tests it but it shows as working then I think it is only £20 for the test.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club