Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus sony 9 speaker sound system

Gate7nico

Hi guys (and ladies).

I'm expecting my new ford focus in about two weeks and it comes with 9 sony Speakers.
After a few hours on the Web I found out that there is no sub.
Sounds strange why have 9 mids/tweeters and no sub, so I would like to ask you if you have any experience of how it sounds.
Also found out that ford sells an amplified sub (pioneer ts-wx110a) for about 220€
Worth the money?
How do the 9 sony sound?

There might be  a thread about this but unfortunately I can't do any searches in the forum from my tablet.

If so is, please be so kind and take me there.

Thanks in advance  :)

I believe the sub was an option when you ordered the car or might be only available on the Titanium X. I have the sub in my car.

I don't think the sub makes a great deal of difference as long as you have the premium Speakers and Hu.

I had the 9 speaker setup in my mk3 and it sounded better than my mk3.5 with sub until they fixed it with a software update. Even now I wouldn't say it sounds any better than the mk3 without sub.

I haven't heard the 9 speaker setup in the mk3.5 but can't imagine it's any different unless Ford have artificially made it sound worse to make the sub system sound more like an upgrade....

How does it sound Andy?

What do you mean with premium Speakers Alex? I've been trying to find info about them but it's almost impossible. 

The only thing I know is that they are sony and they are optional only for the titanium (we don't have any X here, plain titanium).

The ST and RS are offered with 10 sony Speakers as optional where I would think the 10th one is the sub.

So they've made an upgrade to downgrade the sound? Lol

The premium Speakers are polymer instead of paper.

If you shine a torch through the grille, you should see a slightly shiny blue coloured speaker.

The cheap ones are dull black paper cones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No its just a branding deal. They may have helped sign off the dsp in the visteon made Hu but both types of Speakers are made by/for Ford.

59 minutes ago, Gate7nico said:

What a fraud...

Common place for most, if not all manufacturers.  You think Mazda are fitting "real" Bose Speakers in a cheapo little Mazda 1?

Well yes, why wouldn't they? I would imagine that they would cost them next to nothing or nothing, as bose gets their brand advertised.

But the contrary doesn't surprise me either. 

no not a fraud lol

The sub in the boot. is great. if you dont put anything in the boot hahahahha it muffles it and makes it useless.

Jamie

I don't get any more bass than my old Mk3 with "sony" Speakers and no sub.

The better sound and bass comes from the higher quality Speakers imo.

• Like 1

Lmao Jamie!

Dan Alex. I was hoping the money I spent was worth it :D

It didn't cost me much, about 200€ but if I'll have to spend another, let's say a 1000 then...

Should have asked before.

Anyways, I'm not an audiophile, so it might sound OK to me, let's hope so.

• Haha 1

I’m not even sure you need a sub. Are you driving around the hud, chicken winging it with rap blasting?

ive the Sony 9 speaker set up and plenty of base

• Haha 2

I had a mk3 titanium x focus with tne 9 Speakers and it sou dedicated very good. However I did then introduce an amp to drive infiniti Speakers and a boxed 8" Alpine sub and the difference was very very noticeable.
The sub that Ford fit in the boot is *****. I've tested it in a ST I tested.
If you do want a sub then spend £125 on the Alpine SWE 105 8" sub. It's the best by far for the money and even 5 times the money.

Quick correction. Alpine SWE 815 brilliant sub and still leaves room in the boot for a pram, a large suitcase and a couple of holdalls. I know coz I've had it all in my last focus.

Well I'm driving from point a to b with closed windows but playing loud. Most of the times heavy metal so I don't really need sub kick. Just wanna enjoy my sound.

I wish I could afford some 2-3k to better it but it's out of my budget.

125 for the alpine? That's less than the pioneer they fit at ford!

What about the dashboard tweeter, the 9th one? Some people have been disconnecting it.

The dash speaker is a well placed one. Do go for the Alpine sub. I'm into metal and have been since it all started and the Alpine compliments metal to a T and it props up the cars standard Speakers too. The Alpine has its own remote control so you can adjust the level of bass and it's frequency.
My system including its installation cost less than a grand. Feck paying anything more than that.

Found it for even less here, 110€ + shipping.  The only thing is that it's kinda big compared to the pioneer one

It's not kinda big physically but the sound belies it's size.

• 1 month later...

Well... finally got my car yesterday and was kinda disappointed with the sound in general.

After one days drive though I think I've got used to it and it's acceptable. 

The 9th speaker I've heard so bad about doesn't bother me at all, actually I'm pretty happy with it.

It might need the sub, some bass punch could do it good, I will listen to it with all kind of music I play and will decide then.

Good you've finally got your car nico. I'm not at all suprised you're disappointed with the sound. Give it a bit of time so the Speakers bed in/ get run in. The sound will get better but I strongly suggest sound deaden the doors. That'll make a vast difference in sound. And as I've suggested before, get that alpine sub.
Enjoy your car.