Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 brake pedal clunk?

Richdot

Morning chaps, I have a ford focus 1.6 petrol 60 plate I have a very annoying problem.

Basically its very intermittent when I go over a slight slope/uneven road I get a clunk from the brake pedal random so if I tap the pedal I can feel a little bit of slack with a clip noise, I have changed both brake pedal switches the black one and the blue one, made no difference?

Its alittle bit like the noise you hear when you first turn the car on the ABS test clunk?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the help, Ill see if anything comes of it

I get the same noise. You hit an uneven piece of road and get a "clunk" (ABS), and then for about 10-15 seconds after that the brake pedal will cause a "click" to be heard. No change on braking (certainly no change in brake feel or anything). I have just taken it to be a normal part of the ABS/ESP system.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, Richdot said:

when I go over a slight slope/uneven road I get a clunk from the brake pedal

Does the car have ESP? If so there should be a off button for it.

On certain types of bump, especially on a bend, my car makes an odd clicking noise. It stops happening if the ESP is off, so I assume it is just this system getting a bit confused, and over-reacting.

It is supposed to detect spin & understeer, and use the ABS to correct it. If the car is not turning at a rate that matches the steering wheel angle and speed, then it is triggered. But it seems to be very sensitive, and rolling motion over bumps seems to trigger mine.

If it is the ESP, and has no other symptom, I would just ignore it. I turn it off sometimes on bumpy minor roads.

No button for ESP on the facelift, you have to go into the dash menu (while completely stationary) to turn it off. 

I would suggest making sure tyre pressures are all the same, the Focus manual suggests 30/33 for some models but I found this triggered the ESP more than 32psi all round, I can't believe it's really that sensitive but can't think of another explanation. :unsure:  I do like to push the car through corners when the roads are clear and the ESP does seem to work well in stopping you pushing too far and keeping the car stable, but I find the traction control part is a bit excessive, can really hamper a quick pull away onto a large dual carriageway roundabout or from a short 70mph slip road where I could cope with a bit of spin better than the nose dive from it's over zealous braking.  It also only takes a small bump on a sweeping bend to make one driven wheel leave the tarmac for a split second which the ESP (or rather the traction control) senses as wheel spin, don't forget that wheel is already turning faster than the inside one so it doesn't take much, it's no longer happening by the time the ABS pump kicks in but it can't just cancel half way.

I get a clicking noise on uneven roads (usually with bad camber). On and off clunking. Actually stopped once and checked all my wheel nuts were tight.  Have also put it down to ABS/ESP.  I'm 32 psi all round on my mk 2.5

Everyone seems to be running such high tyre pressures.

I used to run 33 all around, but for a long time have been using 30 all round as that's what Ford always set it to when they touch my car. 

I find 30 is the best for comfort (especially with all the potholes around - it really does make a big difference), but not so good if you're going around corners fast, or trying to squeeze that extra 5-10% MPG. I'm guessing a 'balanced' setting must be 31 PSI.

Edit: and for the record, setting a higher PSI obviously makes the ABS/ESP clunk slightly more frequently, when going over potholes or bumps.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we saying this is normal then? its really annoying to be honest but if nothing can be done, will put it down to one of those things 

7 hours ago, Richdot said:

Are we saying this is normal then? its really annoying to be honest but if nothing can be done, will put it down to one of those things 

How frequently does it happen?

For instance, there is a corner by me that also has a (slightly raised) man hole cover. Going round the corner, if you go over the manhole cover at 40mph, it'll do the above. At 30mph, it won't.

I cannot say 100% it's the same noise, but it certainly sounds it. There is no flashing ESP light with it, it is just a single clunk.

Find an empty car park, room enough to turn the car in one go. Turn the engine off, key out, then key back in and start the ignition (fresh start) - turn steering full lock and you should be able to recreate the noise by turning whilst accelerating over the 10-15mph which the ABS test happens (if I come out of the petrol station near work, which is a tight left hander, whilst accelerating, it'll do the same).

This is normal I also get the abs noise when driving off first thing in the morning I also get it when I corner and go over a wet grid which is the esp kicking in.  My brake pedal also clicks when I press it and so does our c max. Ive checked the brake pedal linkage and its just a little play in a plastic clip which attaches the pedal to the master cylinder.  Ive though about packing it out a little to stop the movement but think its best left as ford intended.

It does sound like what everyone else is saying, its strange its not talked about that often as its quite noticeable, its like the same noise as the ABS TEST noise when you first start the car and you hear that clunk

15 minutes ago, Richdot said:

It does sound like what everyone else is saying, its strange its not talked about that often as its quite noticeable, its like the same noise as the ABS TEST noise when you first start the car and you hear that clunk

Yep.

To be fair, it may just be because of where the abs pump is attached to the car, meaning it is very audible.

The works vehicles just sound like a little purr when the abs/traction goes off.

Yeah if its normal I can obviously try and ignore it I am on the 17" wheels sure im on around about 33psi all round so might lower it slightly doubt that will make any difference though to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I get exactly the same thing and also use the 17's at 33psi. Let us know how you get on!

On 12/1/2017 at 9:51 PM, greysquirrel said:

I get exactly the same thing and also use the 17's at 33psi. Let us know how you get on!

This was terrible this morning in the snow, any slight skid from braking anything like that and the brake pedal was clunking and making terrible noises. 

1 hour ago, Richdot said:

This was terrible this morning in the snow, any slight skid from braking anything like that and the brake pedal was clunking and making terrible noises. 

That's kind of the point of anti-lock brakes...  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's kind of the point of anti-lock brakes...  

Its not the point when it makes the noises and clunking it does. 

If you have nothing helpful to say don't bother posting all I see from you is sarcastic remarks I don't know why you bother posting 

The noises and clunking are just the ABS modulator working as you've already been told though...it's doing it's job, releasing any locked brake and reapplying pressure when the wheel starts turning again, several times a second.  Yes it's louder/more noticeable on these than some other cars but it's perfectly normal and will of course happen a lot on snow where there is very little grip.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The noises and clunking are just the ABS modulator working as you've already been told though...it's doing it's job, releasing any locked brake and reapplying pressure when the wheel starts turning again, several times a second.  Yes it's louder/more noticeable on these than some other cars but it's perfectly normal and will of course happen a lot on snow where there is very little grip.

I have had a  focus mk2 a 2008 model and the only noise I ever heard from that was the abs test just shortly after startup. Never heard the noises I am having on this particular mk2 before and a few people at work have the same car same year as mine and they don't have this issue. 

It seems as mine is far to sensitive as I said a slight slope in the road, a sharp turn and its playing up not every time granted but more often than not. 

I am on the zetec 17" wheels though maybe that has something to do with it they are on 15", clocked my tyre pressure to 33 psi all round might try 31 see if that helps.

You might want to check that the ABS sensor/speed sensor on each corner is working correctly.  My MK2 started kicking in the ABS too early and it was due to a knackered ABS sensor that was intermittently sending no speed to the ECU so it got confused and kept kicking in for the slightest reason.  New sensor fitted equalled problem sorted, might not be your issue but worth checking if you haven't already as the symptoms were very similar.

10 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

You might want to check that the ABS sensor/speed sensor on each corner is working correctly.  My MK2 started kicking in the ABS too early and it was due to a knackered ABS sensor that was intermittently sending no speed to the ECU so it got confused and kept kicking in for the slightest reason.  New sensor fitted equalled problem sorted, might not be your issue but worth checking if you haven't already as the symptoms were very similar.

What was your symptoms mate? Did you have any lights on the dashboard? 

I'd driven the car for a couple of years before the issue so I knew what it should drive like.  When braking fairly firmly the ABS would start kicking is WAY before it had done previously which made approaching blind t-junctions interesting, if the road was a little bumpy it just got silly in terms of how early it kicked in.  ABS sensors get a pretty touch time if you think where they sit so if you can get some at that kind of price it could well be worth a punt.  If nothing else you've then got brand new sensors so you wouldn't expect to have issues with them as the car gets older.

9 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

I'd driven the car for a couple of years before the issue so I knew what it should drive like.  When braking fairly firmly the ABS would start kicking is WAY before it had done previously which made approaching blind t-junctions interesting, if the road was a little bumpy it just got silly in terms of how early it kicked in.  ABS sensors get a pretty touch time if you think where they sit so if you can get some at that kind of price it could well be worth a punt.  If nothing else you've then got brand new sensors so you wouldn't expect to have issues with them as the car gets older.

Ok any lights on dash? I have not got any on the dashboard nothing, no codes either which makes it even more annoying.

1 minute ago, Richdot said:

Ok any lights on dash? I have not got any on the dashboard nothing, no codes either which makes it even more annoying.

Never got any warnings/EML etc (it was before I bought a modified ELM cable) so it wasn't until I got my local garage to plug in their diagnostic computer that they quickly realised where the fault lay although because it worked some of the time they did end up going for a 15 minute drive whilst monitoring the telemetry.

2 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Never got any warnings/EML etc (it was before I bought a modified ELM cable) so it wasn't until I got my local garage to plug in their diagnostic computer that they quickly realised where the fault lay although because it worked some of the time they did end up going for a 15 minute drive whilst monitoring the telemetry.

Ok mate thanks I will get somebody to plug in then and record any idea what the readings should be from the sensors?