Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium
  • Year: 2010

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi all,

Yet another problem with my little baby fiesta. This time its the suspension! (it just gets better eh?)

The problem: A very loud knocking/crunching noise every time the car goes over speed ramps at any speed, be 5 mph or 15mph. More speed means its a louder noise! Before anybody says that i've hit a curb or something, i have not. The car has stayed well away from any curbs and this is backed up by no damage to alloy wheels.

Had ford look at it and they think it needs to have the whole front suspension replaced :huh: :unsure: The car can still be driven and its going back on Wendsday when a tech from Ford is there to assess the damage....will update on Wendsday.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

UPDATE

Ford have said the left hand suspesion needs parts replacing. They ran a list of parts it needed, but i lost track after the first 10 or so items. Good for a car which is only 12 months old.... :rolleyes:

#3 Dougal

Dougal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: Craig
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Zetec 1.6TDCI (115)
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

My front suspension arms are really creaky at the moment. Waiting for the 1st service in March, to let them know. Along with rattling A-Pillar trim, and squeakly clutch pedal.

#4 zetecred89

zetecred89

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4i MK7

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

My front suspension arms are really creaky at the moment. Waiting for the 1st service in March, to let them know. Along with rattling A-Pillar trim, and squeakly clutch pedal.

you will need to get that trim done before its a year old otherwise they won't change it under warranty

#5 whisky

whisky

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 30 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6TDCI & Focus 1.6TDCI

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

UPDATE

Ford have said the left hand suspesion needs parts replacing. They ran a list of parts it needed, but i lost track after the first 10 or so items. Good for a car which is only 12 months old.... :rolleyes:

Mark.

I also live in Milton Keynes and have the same similar problem my wife’s MK7 1.6 TDCI Zetec. it creaks like hell whenever we go over these dreaded humps that are all over the estates in MK, it too is just over 12months old, and only done 3.5k miles, I have checked all the under wheel arch mouldings exhaust mounting rubbers/brackets and cannot pin point it. Please let me know how you get on with solving yours. or any other things I could check. :huh:

#6 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

I'd say take it down to the dealer and get them to look at it. Mine is going back on Thursday to get the parts replaced so will see if this fixes the problems or not.

#7 r3ign

r3ign

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Name: Dylan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600 (Mountune 140)
  • Year: 2011

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Hi all,

Yet another problem with my little baby fiesta. This time its the suspension! (it just gets better eh?)

The problem: A very loud knocking/crunching noise every time the car goes over speed ramps at any speed, be 5 mph or 15mph. More speed means its a louder noise! Before anybody says that i've hit a curb or something, i have not. The car has stayed well away from any curbs and this is backed up by no damage to alloy wheels.

Had ford look at it and they think it needs to have the whole front suspension replaced :huh: :unsure: The car can still be driven and its going back on Wendsday when a tech from Ford is there to assess the damage....will update on Wendsday.

I've sent my car in for the same problem, i'm currently waiting for their verdict. mine also crunches when i turn whilst stationary. I've only done 11K miles and the car seems to be falling appart :(

#8 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Interesting....this seems to be a much wider problem than i first thought. I would advise anybody with a 58 or 09 plate to check for loud noises when going over speed ramps. If left alone, i hate to think what could happen... :unsure:

#9 Dougal

Dougal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: Craig
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Zetec 1.6TDCI (115)
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

you will need to get that trim done before its a year old otherwise they won't change it under warranty

Thnaks for that zetecred89, I didn't realise trim had a 12 month restriction. I may as well get it booked in ASAP.

#10 jude

jude

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

My 58 plate has had this problem for nearly a year now. Been in the garage twice and they've "greased" up parts of the suspension (sorry it's not very technical) and that cured the problem for a short time.
Unfortunately I then had an arguement with a pot hole last week & the noise from the passenger side suspension when going over any size speed hump is a horrid crunching/grinding noise. It's going back to the garage tomorrow to get checked out.

#11 r3ign

r3ign

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Name: Dylan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600 (Mountune 140)
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

My 58 plate has had this problem for nearly a year now. Been in the garage twice and they've "greased" up parts of the suspension (sorry it's not very technical) and that cured the problem for a short time.
Unfortunately I then had an arguement with a pot hole last week & the noise from the passenger side suspension when going over any size speed hump is a horrid crunching/grinding noise. It's going back to the garage tomorrow to get checked out.

Mine's been back to the garage twice and they still have not properly diagnosed the problem.
What they recommended i do is come back to them when it gets worse :S

#12 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Mine's been back to the garage twice and they still have not properly diagnosed the problem.
What they recommended i do is come back to them when it gets worse :S

:huh: Thats not very good! What if the whole thing disintegrates at motorway cruising speed? You'll be a gonner :blink:

#13 jude

jude

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

Well I went back to the gargage this morning and supposedly I have a dry bush :blink:
It's going back in next week for them to rectify it and have another look. The thing I don't get is why I've had this done 3 times in just over a year's ownership. Is it a manufacturing or design issue?

#14 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

Well I went back to the gargage this morning and supposedly I have a dry bush :blink:
It's going back in next week for them to rectify it and have another look. The thing I don't get is why I've had this done 3 times in just over a year's ownership. Is it a manufacturing or design issue?

It could be either. No problems on my car yet so maybe it's a manufacturing issue. But then it could also be a design issue affecting earlier builds that has been rectified over the months, although that would mean that it affects all Fiestas of a certain age, and there aren't that many people with issues yet.... who knows...

The worrying thing is that all of the problems that people are having with their Mk7's seem to be complete unknowns. Like Ford cant seem to ever work out what the problem is, yet the problems are affecting many cars. It seems like it's taken a year just to work out why some of the cars are leaking water, and we still dont even know if thats a proper fix yet.

In the mean time, everyone who is yet to have any problems with their cars can sleep safe in the knowledge that when their cars start having issues, Ford wont have a clue how to fix them. Isn't that great? :blink:

#15 steveZetecS

steveZetecS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

Hi all,

Hi all,

Im new to this site and have just been reading your problems with the front suspension which sounds the same as mine. I have a new ZetecS which has only done 3k.

I noticed a loud knocking/crunching noise aswell as a creaking noise from what seemed to be coming from the n/s front suspension when going over quite harsh speed bumps. The type of speed hump you find in a super market car park. The sound is quite concerning as it sounds almost like something is about to drop off underneath, although when checking the car over it all looks ok. Im hoping its just some kind of plastic sheild moving as the car flexs over a harsh speed hump and sounds worse than it really is but, still its a bit concerning for a new car.

The strange thing is under normal driving conditions and even going over normal speed humps carefully the car doesnt make any noise.

I dont really want to have to have some muppet at Ford's say it needs suspension parts and start fitting bits willy nilly.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else who has experianced a simlar issue and if they have had it rectified by Fords.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,
Steve.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users