Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Air Con

Dupont

I have a 2007 Mondeo 2.0 diesel TDCi.

The air con stopped blowing so I had it recharged. Halfrauds said no leaks detected but that the system still hadn't kicked on.

So, I have a fully gassed system that isn't working.

Any ideas?

I was under the belief that Halfrauds didn't have the right kit to diagnose the fault? They will re-gas but they couldn't detect a leak last time i went, admittedly a couple years ago now...

They used a dye apparently and said no leaks.

Also I still had some gas in system and usually with a leak there is none or very little.

Yes but the gas is actually a lubricant and if stood for some time, it leaks past the seals :( I think its a UV dye they use though so must be right unless the person testing it was blind haha!

Hopefully its something simple as it isn't cheap to replace the compressor/condenser unit.

wiring fault probably. needs a proper garage who know what there doing to diagnose it correctly.

"The air con stopped blowing " , do you mean the fan blows but the air is not cold, or the fan does not blow at all

The fan definitely blows. Just not refrigeration air even after top up. No leaks detected on system. 

The engine fan should run before the a/c will start, a common fault is a break in the control wire to the fan, to check this after doing a run leave the engine idling when stationary to increase temp, if fan cuts in then this feed is ok, if not then possible break in wire to module.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if the fan does kick in due to hot engine, next check is to check the fan kicks in when switching air con on, if it does, check the compressor is engaging at around the same time. should be able to hear it it click when engaging. possibly see it also if you have a look. 

fan working but no compressor will narrow down to compressor circuit

no fan or compresser and then it can be all sorts of reasons from pressure switch, evap sensor, control module, wiring. 

• Thanks 1

I just ran a diagnostic AC check from a YouTube video.

Press Off and Footwell button together then Auto on climate control panel and it starts up.

Not getting any error codes, but got these numbers at the finish of it.

77 FO   6F  04   00

I can't hear compressor come on or engine change tone when AC is switched on.

but does the rad fan come on with engine running with air con switched on?

No just ran it for two hours nearly.

Fan behind radiator never came on once. 

14 hours ago, al2052 said:

The engine fan should run before the a/c will start, a common fault is a break in the control wire to the fan, to check this after doing a run leave the engine idling when stationary to increase temp, if fan cuts in then this feed is ok, if not then possible break in wire to module.

The fan behind radiator is not coming on at all.

So the command to switch on the fan and compressor is not there.

You will have to check the fan works with engine hot as per al2052

Have you had the car serviced recently? Why I ask is the pollen filter is located near the fuse box and wiring for Evaporator sensor. It's normal to drop down fusebox,unclip the connector to sensor to gain enough access to remove the filter. Maybe the sensor wiring has not been clipped back in properly.

Anything other than that and you will need someone with knowledge of wiring/Aircon to diagnose for you.

But the engine has to be pretty hot before it kicks in ,(will take ages at this time of year.)

I sat it idling for 30 mins after a twenty mile run.

No fan came on.

It would appear that you have break between the fan and the control manual, apparently it mostly happens adjacent to the gearbox but can be also be corroded conections,  the control cable runs between the fan and the control module which seems to be under the nearside wheel arch, I cannot verify this as my engine fan came on after about 15 mins idling and consequently regass cured it, so didn't have to go that far. also bear in mind mine is petrol engine so may get hotter quicker than diesel.

I think the fan is definitely my issue as it simply doesn't come on.

Is the control cable the one that connects to the top or the bottom of that square plastic switch type thing in front of fan?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club