Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Focus Ecoboost - No stop start

Pebbleheed

yep, may just need a good charge. have you done a reset yet?

35 minutes ago, iantt said:

yep, may just need a good charge. have you done a reset yet?

I tried the reset procedure with the engine on for ten seconds, fog light 5 times, hazards 3 times and then leave it ten seconds before engine off. It didn’t do anything sadly. 

On 14/10/2017 at 12:06 PM, iantt said:

mine had alot of stop starting in 4 yrs. fortunatly or not depending on your view stop start has funtioned on mine consistantly in that time with just a few exceptions( and that depended on driving style and my distance to work ( for a while it was only 2 miles from work)

i was being sarcastic :p  :laugh:

Jamie :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, james_60 said:

Do you have a good quality battery charger ?

Jamie

Sadly not no. Only a jump starter pack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pebbleheed said:

Sadly not no. Only a jump starter pack. 

Do you have a friend with a ctek charger or similar. 

Are you happy not having stop start. if you are ok with that then leave the battery alone and wait until it packs up.

If you want working stop start, then a new batter of the same type (part number) will be required :-

Finis number  1693470 Part number  BV6N-10655-AA       590cca 60ah SAE T6 Silver Calcium

But before purchasing a new battery, try and beg borrow and steal a good battery charger first and see if charging it to 100% works first

Jamie

Weirdly I like stop start on my girlfriends Fiesta. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get it working just yet. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a major issue with my car. 

I know it was stood for a few weeks before I bought it so not sure if a good run will help or like you say give it a charge. 

• 2 weeks later...

Success. 

I took the car for a good blast on the motorway last night for over an hour. Came to use it today and it surprised me at the traffic lights when the engine went off, the (A) light came on and I realised stop start was working. Perfect. 

Weirdly my girlfriend hates stop start on her Fiesta and she didn’t realise till I looked in to this that she can turn it off :D

So I’m happy with it, she’s happy without it. 

• 1 month later...

Further update:

My alternator was faulty. Since having a new one put in my stop start works perfectly. Every day, every trip, even from cold. 

Seems my issue was an alternator on its way out. £370 later and it’s all working fine. 

7 hours ago, Pebbleheed said:

Seems my issue was an alternator on its way out. £370 later and it’s all working fine. 

I wonder how long it takes to save £370 of fuel using the start stop function... :whistling:

• Like 1

I didn’t do it just for the stop start though. It died on me on the motorway. Caused quite a situation :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I wonder how long it takes to save £370 of fuel using the start stop function

I don't think it's primarily a fuel saving measure, although it might save a bit in heavy traffic. I think it's really intended to reduce pollution in city centres.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mjt said:

I don't think it's primarily a fuel saving measure, although it might save a bit in heavy traffic. I think it's really intended to reduce pollution in city cenres.

Good point, I wonder how much pollution is created by mining for ore  and manufacturing a new alternator... :tongue:

I wasn't totally serious btw, it just seems that it moves the problem elsewhere, with batteries, starters and alternators failing more quickly with the system than they otherwise would have done. :smile:

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Good point, I wonder how much pollution is created by mining for ore  and manufacturing a new alternator... :tongue:

I wasn't totally serious btw, it just seems that it moves the problem elsewhere, with batteries, starters and alternators failing more quickly with the system than they otherwise would have done. :smile:

I doubt that any of the "mainstream" car manufacturers have properly up-rated their alternators and starter motors since introducing stop start.  I'd imagine they're happy as long as it last past the point that the manufacturers warranty expires!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club