Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titanium X HELP - Dashboard Dial Light OFF

Rob89

Hello, I have a Ford Focus Titanium X EcoBoost 2015 Model.

The other week I noticed that my dashboard dial back light is playing up. Some days it's ON and some OFF and I'm beginning to think there is a problem.
Now in the past it would randomly just pop on or if I restarted the car later in the day give or take a few hours in between. But today 13/10/17 I drove home in the dark with no back light on so I'm looking for some advice or fix.

Could it be a fuse?

The problem about the issue is that tomorrow it will probably work again then a few days later it won't. Confused... and the warranty has just expired...

I have added 2 pics. 1 in the day time showing the dials lit up as they should be off 1 week ago. The 2nd pick is from driving home in the dark today with headlights on but the dials aren't lit even though they were working the day before.

Thanks.

20170930_153307.jpg

20171013_190318.jpg

It was still off this morning going to work then it popped back on as I pulled into work...

Giving to vehicle settings and turn on auto dimming. Try that

1507990185991.jpg1507990231232.jpg1507990281463.jpg

2 hours ago, iantt said:

You have set the dimming low when lights on.

Hi, I checked my setting and yours is different to mine interms of my trip computer but I managed to find the Auto Dim feature on the central dashboard screen. Auto Dim is turned ON =S

I forgot to mention that NO setting have been altered since I bought the car back in 2015. This problem has only started to randomly occur from time to time. At the time of posting this reply, the dial lights are on at the moment but only came back on when I got to work earlier today.

I'll post pics. Last pic is from this morning.

20171014_172558.jpg

20171014_172705.jpg

20171014_172725.jpg

20171014_172730.jpg

20171014_172734.jpg

20171014_084918.jpg

does seem strange. do you have cluster dimming control on the headlight switch?

does it only dim when the headlights are on or can be dim without?

16 hours ago, iantt said:

does it only dim when the headlights are on or can be dim without?

My light cluster has the dimming control yes. Up and Down. It has always been on the brightest setting.

During the day when headlights are off the dials are lit up. During the nights when the headlights are on the dials are lit up too but slightly dimmer as to not to daze the driver even if it is set on max. From the pics on original post, you can see that my headlights are on and I had to drive home at night with no illuminated dials but then the next day in daylight they eventually work again.

But I can control the dimming control when headlights are on and off. But like I says, dimming has always been on brightest setting.

im wondering if you have a faulty headlight switch. there seems to be a random change in resistance sonewhere relating to the dimming control

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

im wondering if you have a faulty headlight switch. there seems to be a random change in resistance sonewhere relating to the dimming control

If i took it to my local ford dealership where i bought it from. Do you think it would be expensive for them to locate the problem and fix it? No ideal this time of the year to drive  back when i can't see the speedo if the dial lights decided to have the day off.

had a look at wiring diagrams and the headlamp switch sends a linbus signal to body control module, that then sends can bus to cluster.
the bcm can cause all sorts of random issues.
i would first disconnect the battery,disconnect the bcm connectors and check for any signs of corrosion/water to the connector pins.
if none apparentm reconnect all and battery and see if it plays up again. if it does then its time for a dealer to investigate

If the dealers worth their salt, and especially as it was where you bought it from they ought to fix it, and only charge you for any new part. As it is so random it sounds like a loose connection to me.

also worth checking the large connector to the left of body control module, had a few issues with adaptive headlights, headlight switches , blis with that connector.

First thing I would recommend is getting a software update on the cluster. There has been a few since your car was released. You're a 2015 like me so you're still under warranty.

• 5 months later...

Hello

It's been awhile since I posted here. Been very busy but my problem still persists and I have managed to get video footage of it happening. Now the dial lights are flickering then eventually go off.
This happens in day and nighttime.

The car is due its service/mot in June. Will this fail it? I do want it fixed though.

Deleted.

Edited by DJ_Andy_M

On 14/04/2018 at 2:29 PM, Rob89 said:

Hello

It's been awhile since I posted here. Been very busy but my problem still persists and I have managed to get video footage of it happening. Now the dial lights are flickering then eventually go off.
This happens in day and nighttime.

The car is due its service/mot in June. Will this fail it? I do want it fixed though.

Did you follow my advice above and take it back to Ford for a software update? You've got just over a month before the warranty runs out. 

This is an issue with the cluster. Potentially just a software update will fix it but could mean a new set of clocks.

5 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Did you follow my advice above and take it back to Ford for a software update? You've got just over a month before the warranty runs out. 

This is an issue with the cluster. Potentially just a software update will fix it but could mean a new set of clocks.

I've been working nights since Chirstmas so it was just finding the time as I'm a long distance driver.
I believe I only had 2 years warranty due to it not being "Brand New". It was an ex-showroom car I bought at a discounted price to a brand new model but I am going to call the dealership in the morning when I get home to book it's service/MoT and I'll ask about warranty and software then.

When you say new set of clocks does that mean the whole cluster and not just a backlight or fuse or anything else?

warranty is 3yrs from new. as you havent had mot done yet im assuming its not quite 3yrs old and should still be under warranty.

12 hours ago, iantt said:

warranty is 3yrs from new. as you havent had mot done yet im assuming its not quite 3yrs old and should still be under warranty.

I checked before i left for work. It is under the Manufacturers Warranty until June 2018. I'm going to get the car looked at asap since it'll be for free I assume.

5 hours ago, Rob89 said:

I checked before i left for work. It is under the Manufacturers Warranty until June 2018. I'm going to get the car looked at asap since it'll be for free I assume.

Yep it won't cost a thing as long as its not been done maliciously. I've had mine go back inexcess of 10 times in 3 years for work.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. The car went in for Service/MoT and this repair. They updated the instrument cluster so hopefully it is all ok now.

Still has not fixed the problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club