Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Third year service & first MOT next month

jayteepics

Trying to get an idea of what this should cost. Car has done 24K. Also are there any likely wear candidates I should consider e.g. brake pads etc. front tyres are getting close to the limit but I guess best not let the service garage near them?

Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0 Auto Titanium X Nov 2014

What a service should cost and what it will cost are two completely different things unfortunately I'd say maybe between £90-£150 depending on where you go, tyres should always be checked regardless of if you think they're okay or not.

Third year service includes spark plug change on the 1.0 EcoBoost which are quite expensive.  Plus usual oil and filter change and long list of check boxes.  Pollen filter may or may not be replaced.

How close are the front tyres?  If they're original and have been on the front for 25k I wouldn't be surprised if they needed changing now.  Legal limit is 1.6mm.  But service will flag them up at 3mm usually - and can be quite forceful about getting you to replace them at 3mm.  Had this happen twice with female relatives at different garages, might be different with a man I suppose.

MOT is £55 max but usually cheaper if you're having it done with a service.

I would expect no more than £250 for the service (inc pollen filter) and MOT done at a Ford dealer.  Obviously considerably less at an independent dealer.

• Like 1

aggre, plugs are expensive , but luckily only 3. as far as im aware only ngk make them .

"How close are the front tyres?  If they're original and have been on the front for 25k I wouldn't be surprised if they needed changing now.  Legal limit is 1.6mm.  But service will flag them up at 3mm usually - and can be quite forceful about getting you to replace them at 3mm.  Had this happen twice with female relatives at different garages, might be different with a man I suppose."

I am a man and they tried it on me, but i was dressed like an office worker on the day

Just had our 64 plate focus 1.0 ecoboost 3rd service and first m.o.t done, Tom is more or less spot on with the price, after emailing a few main dealers some of which came back with stupid prices, we ended up paying £210 for the service, make sure the quotes you get include the spark plugs as some of the quotes didn't, also makes sure they use the 5/20 ecoboost oil. You can look on the service section of the ford website, type in your post code and reg number and the prices should be displayed at your dealership near you.

Thanks for your great feedback folks much appreciated. Nice to have the extras like the oil type, plugs in quote and pressure about replacing tyres etc.

The tyres are at 3mm it’s just the front ones the rears are fine. I definitely won’t be buying tyres from the dealer try as they might ;-)

Further question on tyre make. It has Continental 195/50 R16 84V. I find they produce quite a bit of road noise. Would you advise just sticking with these or suggest a different make.

6 hours ago, kingsblue said:

Just had our 64 plate focus 1.0 ecoboost 3rd service and first m.o.t done, Tom is more or less spot on with the price, after emailing a few main dealers some of which came back with stupid prices, we ended up paying £210 for the service, make sure the quotes you get include the spark plugs as some of the quotes didn't, also makes sure they use the 5/20 ecoboost oil. You can look on the service section of the ford website, type in your post code and reg number and the prices should be displayed at your dealership near you.

Is there any problem using 5/30? I'd have to check the paperwork but I've got a feeling mine had 5/30 last service+mot. 

It might save you a few £ if you provide the oil at the service. I provided 5L of Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w20 for my ST second service (cost me ~£26) and it knocked off £90 of the cost.

Why is it several tyre places think I have different sized tyres? Mine are 195/50 R16 84V ??

tyres.JPG

I find the 'autofill' tyre sizes are wrong more often than right!  It's just a dodgy database, manually enter the same as your own and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

First quote....

MOT £45.
THIRD service (including oil & oil filter, air filter, odour filter, spark plugs) £281.76 inc vat.

Total cost £326.76 inc vat.

Please let us know if you would like to make a booking, courtesy cars are also available free of charge.

8 minutes ago, jayteepics said:

First quote....

MOT £45.
THIRD SERVICE (including oil & oil filter, air filter, odour filter, spark plugs) £281.76 inc vat.

Please let us know if you would like to make a booking, courtesy cars are also available free of charge.

Bit expensive, you should be able to do better than that, have you tried putting you reg number and postcode into the ford website?

https://secure.ford.co.uk/OSB?ref=%2Fowner%2Fmy-vehicle%2Fbook-a-service

Why choose Ford or a dealer your car is out of warranty, I have a 64 reg 1.0 titanium X with 17000 miles and went to local reliable garage for 3rd service and MOT £140.

Ford wanted £280 and other dealer the same. For £140 got same as Ford plugs/oil etc and book stamp.

1 hour ago, jayteepics said:

First quote....

MOT £45.
THIRD SERVICE (including oil & oil filter, air filter, odour filter, spark plugs) £281.76 inc vat.

I'd only consider that offer if the courtesy car was a Range Rover Overfinch....

No wonder they can offer free courtesy cars! Do your homework folks, good local indy if you've bought and are keeping the car for years, you'll save hundreds if not thousands over the lifetime of the car, supply your own ford/decent oil/filters/parts/fluids etc.

I’ll wait for the other quotes to come in then pop to my local garage.

By the way I’ve been relying on the Ford Breakdown Assist cover which comes included in these quoted prices....

2 hours ago, kingsblue said:

Bit expensive, you should be able to do better than that, have you tried putting you reg number and postcode into the ford website?

https://secure.ford.co.uk/OSB?ref=%2Fowner%2Fmy-vehicle%2Fbook-a-service

I've tried different browsers but can't get this to work...

Dealers.JPG.027386dda6a79dd2282a970f2990df22.JPG

Can't select any dealer so just had to look at their details and email my requests for an email quote 

This is from one of a corporate group (Foray) so all their others might be the same. Over 400 squids !

At Taunton Ford, your MOT will cost £54.85 inc VAT.

A Third Scheduled service for your vehicle does include spark plugs and oil changes, and the price of that service comes to £362.10 inc VAT.

——————————

A different Ford Dealer...

3yr service £265 inc VAT and 12mths FREE Roadside Assistance
MOT £30

On 15/10/2017 at 10:53 AM, iantt said:

aggre, plugs are expensive , but luckily only 3. as far as im aware only ngk make them .

My God.   Just looked up the price of plugs.   They were five bob for as long as I ever did my own servicing.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 8:48 PM, jayteepics said:

I've tried different browsers but can't get this to work...

Dealers.JPG.027386dda6a79dd2282a970f2990df22.JPG

Can't select any dealer so just had to look at their details and email my requests for an email quote 

Yes, I noticed sometimes the price wasn't displayed when I tried, I just used to change the radius to 25 miles then back to 10 etc and the price seemed to display, having said that I think it depends if a garage has allowed the price to be displayed.