Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine System Failure.

Devonboy

Focus 1.6  MKII.  Petrol.  Automatic.

Round trip of 300 miles and engine goes into limp mode five times.   Displays shows "Engine System Failure".  

Stop the car and restart engine and all is fine.

OBII Code Reader shows no codes which is what I would expect.

Reading other forums this could be a multitude of faults from ECU, Throttle body, bad connections, wiring loom. sensors, etc. etc.

It would appear Ford dealers are useless at this sort of problem.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction before I throw good money after bad.

Thanks in anticipation.

Are you just using a generic obd code reader?  If so, I would recommend getting an ELM327 cable/dongle and trying FORScan for fault codes before randomly replacing parts.

I assume it drives fine apart from the limp mode?

• Like 1

Could also try a quick clean and light lube of the throttle body as it isn’t a hard job (only need to disconnect the pipe from it to gain access) and only takes minutes but as TomsFocus says get an ELM onto it for any codes.

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you just using a generic obd code reader?  If so, I would recommend getting an ELM327 cable/dongle and trying FORScan for fault codes before randomly replacing parts.

I assume it drives fine apart from the limp mode?

Using just a generic code reader,  Being in my late 70's I am sorry to say I am not into all this technology and would not know how to use it. 

Drives fine otherwise,   It's no fun driving on the M3  Motorway since they done away with the hard shoulders.  Sheer lunacy.

Thank you Tom.

Do you have a laptop or smartphone?  FORScan is intuitive and easy to use as long as you've got one of those to use it on, you're obviously using some sort of technology to be on here!  Though I realise you might be using a desktop...bit awkward to drag that out to the car if so lol. :laugh: 

If you're passing Ipswich at any time I'm happy to plug mine in for you.   

generic may not pick up transmission fault codes, and they will put engine system failure on also.

Another message on the display today "Get Rid"  I have taken that advice and gone for an Audi.

Saved £130 on insurance and £60 on road tax

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club