Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pipe Leaking In Engine Bay?

adr64

Hi there, got a MK1 2004 Focus 1.6. Today I went for a 20 mile drive, I parked up and noticed when I returned to the car, a big puddle underneath the car (engine bay area). 

It looks like water and not coolant (it's not sticky like I'd expect coolant to be). It's coming from a pipe just below the heater hoses (looks like an overflow pipe), around 15mm in diameter. 

Expansion tank is full of coolant, temperature gauge is good (not overheating). Warm air coming from the heater and I didn't have the air conditioning on during the 20 mile drive, before leaving it. 

Not sure what this pipe is, anyone have any ideas? 

Cheers Andy :)

It does sound like the AC drain pipe.  If you definitely didn't have the AC on and it's not coolant then it might be rain water that's gathered in there through the air intake.

HI ok cheers ,I thought it was the ac drain pipe , but wasn't sure

I will keep a close eye on it

many thanks Andy

coolant won't always be sticky, depends what has been put in the coolant reservoir.   eg. if coolant was leaking, I doubt if the owner would spend money on antifreeze and he might just put plain water in it.  is the coolant in the coolant reservoir like proper coolant (pink or blue usually)

48 minutes ago, adr64 said:

HI ok cheers ,I thought it was the ac drain pipe , but wasn't sure

I will keep a close eye on it

many thanks Andy

Was the pipe against the bulkhead? If so it could be the drain pipe from under the scuttle (as you thought), you ‘may’ find the pipe is full of debris causing water to collect and drain out only under certain conditions. (Had it once and unblocked the pipe/hose with a long wire rod)

HI the coolant is new[ 3 months ago] pink

no its not against the bulkhead

seems to below the heater hoses facing towards the bulkhead

do you think its the a/c drain pipe?

cheers Andy

She is just relieving herself.   sounds like a AC drain hose from all of the above.

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your help 

pretty sure its the a/c drain hose

cheers Andy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club