Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver Tyre Quiery

ColonelApeman

Hello! 

I’ve got 18” (235/40/18) alloys on the old red rocket, but I’m concidering buying a space saver out of pure ease.

Am I right in thinking that I’d need a similar sized alloy as a reserve or can I use a 16” Mondeo space saver (115/70/16)

Theres a lot of cheap space savers out there, just need some guidance and that I don’t mess up with the load bearing weights etc.

thanks! 

You say to satisfy the MOT, but i'm pretty sure you don't need a spare to pass, and the spare is not checked as part of the MOT.

What i'm sure you can't do, however, is pass an MOT with a space saver fitted (all wheels/tyres must be the same size), so the same size alloy/tyre would be a requirement.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for clearing that up about the MOT. What about having one as a spare regardless? 

You can't fit a full size spare in the boot without buying some extra 'foam' to raise the boot floor and lose some load space.  18" alloys are also pretty heavy to carry around permanently, it will make a noticeable difference to the fuel consumption over time, and acceleration tbh.

Having a space saver is the best compromise as obviously the repair can isn't much use on a blowout or if you dent an alloy on a pothole.  It would've been an option on your car from new.  They're 125/85/16 as standard iirc.

Hello! 
I’ve got 18” (235/40/18) alloys on the old red rocket, but I’m concidering buying a space saver out of pure ease.
Am I right in thinking that I’d need a similar sized alloy as a reserve or can I use a 16” Mondeo space saver (115/70/16)
Theres a lot of cheap space savers out there, just need some guidance and that I don’t mess up with the load bearing weights etc.
thanks! 
Can i ask ?
Do you have issues on turning cycle ?
as you are on 235/ 40/18s , where else focus 18s are generally on 225 /40 /18s .
That is for mk2 & mk2.5 focus.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk