Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Lynx 1.8 TDCI 2009

talksy

Hi there,
I am the lucky owner of a 2009 Ford Focus with a diesel TDCI Lynx engine (No DPF). My engine number is 9A13507
Got the vehicle with around 25k on it around 5 years ago, and since, I have put the mileage up to 120k.

This has been the best car I have owned, hardly any issues and all for the cost of a minor service one year, followed by a major the next. 

Obviously, the car is now getting to the point where it has done a lot of miles. Can anyone tell me if they kept their vehicle for much longer than 120k miles?

Ford want £289+vat to give it a full service, my local independent garage are asking for around £200 with vat but are suggesting that it may well need quite a lot of work doing to it in the near future, and they wonder if I should maybe look at replacing it (they have not seen it yet, just talking over phone). 

Does anyone have any experience of this engine/clutch and any potential issues (timing chains etc) that may need changing? I have owned it from quite a low mileage, and it has had nothing but motorway miles and careful ownership.

In the past two years, I have done around 20k motorway miles per year in it. 

Would be grateful of any experiences with this engine. I am just a little wary as I have had such a good innings with this car compared to previous ones, for the amount of miles I have had out of it, it has cost me very little. 

I've got a 05 plate saloon with the same engine that has just passed 140K miles, still on the same injectors, turbo, DMF, clutch, fuel pump etc.  Cambelt is due 100K miles/10 years whichever is sooner so if that hasn't been done yet, get it done, if the belt or tensioner goes you'll be saying "see ya" to a working engine.

In the 6 years I've owned it, its only had wear and tear items and not having a DPF is a massive bonus.  The Lynx engine itself has a reputation for being mechanically bulletproof as long as the oil has been changed when it should have been.  The only exception to this that I can think of is the crap batches of injectors that Siemens supplied to Ford back in 2009, although if you've got the "crap" ones they usually fail within 40K miles.

Personally I'd say do the belt/tensioner/water pump if they haven't been done and keep running her, she'll not be worth a huge amount now as part ex and if she starts dropping bills regularly you still have the option of getting rid.

I've got a 2007 Focus (1.8TDCi Lynx engine) which had 106k on the clock when I bought it in March and I had timing belt done before collecting it as there was no record of this in the pile of receipts, just had the clutch and flywheel and starter motor done at 112k so in theory good for a while yet. I've done just over 6k and it's been absolutely spot on only letting me down once with a flat battery (kids and tablets) It's worth doing the timing belt as Damian said, it's peace of mind rather than unnecessary expense

Thank you both for your posts.

Hmm, a tricky one. I am just not sure if I should hold on to it or get rid of it before something big goes wrong.

So far, I have only had to change the battery, turbo pipe and brake pads. 
I checked with ford today and they advise changing the aux belt and camshaft drive belt at 125k miles. That means I only have about 5k left which will last me until around Jan/Feb.

The car has never had a clutch and DMF, starter motor or turbo and I am worried that at some point, these may die. It also needs 4 x new tyres, wiper replacements, a/c service and got an MOT advisory for suspension arm rubber bushes on both sides.

It feels like things may start getting expensive.

The car has done so well, but almost all of the 120k on the clock are nothing but motorway miles. 

Be aware that a 2009 1.8 TDCI does no longer have timing chain like the older 1.8 TDCI engines. instead of a timing chain it has a wetbelt. The wetbelt needs to be changed at the same interval as the normal dry timing belt on this engine. Both are prescribed to be changed at 125.000 Miles or 10 Years (whichever comes first).

Changing both the timing belt and the wetbelt is a pretty costly job.

I've had my 2008 1.8tdci Focus for almost 4 years and it has now covered about 105,000 with no expensive issues. 

It has been a great car and without all the extra emissions stuff like a dpf it's relatively simple.

As mentioned there are 2 timing belts on it and that's probably the only Achilles heal of this engine.

I've just changed my wet belt at 100,000 and 9 years and I'm very glad I did! The old belt was badly cracked. Here's a video of the belt change, it's a big job so will cost you a bit.

They are getting older though so problems will start to appear. If you don't fancy dealing with the cost of the timing belts trade it now otherwise invest in a keeping a great car going

I've got a 56 plate 1.8tdci that's done 137k now that's still on the original dmf. Runs good with no major problems. I do all my own servicing and repairs

So the stuff I've done to it apart from consumables and servicing is

Replaced reversing sensor £7

Turbo hose £16

Cable tied one of the diesel leak off pipes as the r clip doesn't want to hold it in anymore

Replaced suspension strut as the coil snapped second hand one £25 Inc postage 

Resoldered connections that goes into the back of the clocks I think 2006 cars suffered from this quite a bit. Solder hardens and cracks causes alot of weird warning lights and a loss of power  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2017 at 7:42 PM, JW1982 said:

Be aware that a 2009 1.8 TDCI does no longer have timing chain like the older 1.8 TDCI engines. instead of a timing chain it has a wetbelt. The wetbelt needs to be changed at the same interval as the normal dry timing belt on this engine. Both are prescribed to be changed at 125.000 Miles or 10 Years (whichever comes first).

Changing both the timing belt and the wetbelt is a pretty costly job.

I am searching out a Focus with the older chain and belt system, as i,m told they are bulletproof. What is the last year Ford fitted this engine to the focus, or what engine type/No am i looking for please. I do not want the double belt system...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club