Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBD Port Attempted Theft

ScotT85

First post on here so hello!

I Was parked at work yesterday and my driver's side window was smashed.  They had pulled off my bluetooth OBD connector and the OBD compartment was left open so I assume they were trying to steal the car.

From what I've read there are a few options to disable the OBD port but I can confirm that removing the DataLink fuse does work which is why I still have the car.  I'll definitely be buying a Disklok though and some OBD port immobilised stickers to prevent any more broken windows!

I'm not sure how common this is but I don't understand why Ford haven't sorted it out?

Scott

• Sad 1

From what I have read on this forum it is common. Did they smash the door window or the small one just ahead of the door

It was the door window unfortunately.

I had also read that they smash the small one ahead of the door but not sure how easy it is to get to the OBD port from there.

all too common now, it is a shame, whats the disadvantage of removing this datalink fuse.

There was a topic talking about the rise in fiesta thefts with keyless entry. I'd say best to be like alex and buy a steering wheel lock and clutch lock to deter a thief. Keep any belongings out of site so a thief doesn't try to just smash the window to get it. I've seen some sort of film you can put on the windows which prevents the glass from breaking apart but I think it's expensive. 

1 hour ago, AlexBartlam said:

all too common now, it is a shame, whats the disadvantage of removing this datalink fuse.

There aren't any disadvantages apart from the OBD port not working so you'd need to put it back in when it goes for a service.

33 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I've seen some sort of film you can put on the windows which prevents the glass from breaking apart but I think it's expensive.

I think any window tinting would also stop the glass from coming apart but it would still break.

• Like 1

Hi there

Had a Zetec S with keyless start stolen a few years ago. When I got paid out I replaced it with the Metal special addition.

I made sure that this car did not have keyless start and paid about £100 to have the OBD port protected.

I went to ProtectAVan Solutions Ltd who are in Grays Essex. They put the OBD port into a lockable box and moved it up into the dashboard. 

You do not need access to it when you have a service unless you have a fault. 

It was mentioned on the BBC Watchdog program at the time about BMW's and keyless Fiesta's being easy targets for thieves steeling cars using this method of attaching some sort of gizmo to the OBD port. 

My car was taken outside my house during the night, somehow they picked the lock and just drove it away.

So I removed the DataLink fuse and I was still able to use my Modified USB OBD adapter with Forscan.

Is the USB maybe providing power to the port?

I agree with Kentish man, I have a Protecter van OBD port safe fitted to my car after mine was stolen last year. They are not cheap, £125 to buy £165 fitted, but then the financial loss on the value of your car compared to insurance payout is a major factor.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2017 at 1:05 PM, ToXIcG said:

So I removed the DataLink fuse and I was still able to use my Modified USB OBD adapter with Forscan.

Is the USB maybe providing power to the port?

Hmmm, I'm not sure.  I tested it with a bluetooth OBD adapter and that definitely didn't work after removing the fuse and from what I've read on forums other people have recommended this.

Perhaps the thieves that attempted the theft were also using a bluetooth adapter which is why it didn't work for them.

I may take a look at breaking one of the wires behind the OBD port with a switch just in case.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ScotT85 said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure.  I tested it with a bluetooth OBD adapter and that definitely didn't work after removing the fuse and from what I've read on forums other people have recommended this.

Perhaps the thieves that attempted the theft were also using a bluetooth adapter which is why it didn't work for them.

I may take a look at breaking one of the wires behind the OBD port with a switch just in case.

I think what is recommended is getting an OBD Protector or getting a dummy one because if they have to get in the car the motion sensor (if the car has it) will catch them anyway.

Your way does sound like a good idea if you put a switch on a data wire but you'd have to put the switch somewhere they can't get at from outside the car.

Another thing I wondered why don't they make it so the OBD port on cars isn't active unless the car is unlocked or is there a valid reason for the way it is?

Where do I find this Data Link fuse please?

14 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Where do I find this Data Link fuse please?

It's fuse 19 on mine but I'd have a look in the manual to make sure for yours.