Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleaning the EGR next week - any tips?

Albert27

Hi guys,

It's been long overdue but i hope to remove the egr on my 1.6 tdci 2008 focus and give it a clean. 

Plan is:

Remove battery

Move fuel filter out the way

move windscreen cowl possibly & wipers.

Once at the EGR, is it easy enough to unbolt/ put back on? Any advice appreciated.    Intend to clean it with a rag and wd40......

I should let someone else answer a DV6 question really...  But it's a Saturday morning and I have nothing better to do lol... 

I didn't remove the battery or fuel filter for EGR.  Just the wiper arms, the top plastic scuttle and the lower metal scuttle.

IMAG5027.thumb.jpg.13cad83abfac0efbfd6753c1646f0255.jpg

I just fitted an EGR blank rather than fully removed it.  There are 2 long bolts into the block, mostly done by feel with the lack of access.  Only thing I can't remember is how it connects to the EGR cooler, if you want to fully remove it from the car you will either have to disconnect it from the cooler or disconnect the water pipes and remove it with the cooler attached.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

if you want to fully remove it from the car you will either have to disconnect it from the cooler or disconnect the water pipes and remove it with the cooler attached

Cheers Tom.  If i disconnect those pipes, can i expect water (or coolant?) to go everywhere??

Well not everywhere, they're fairly high up so it shouldn't be much but there will be some coolant loss yeah.  If you want to remove the cooler, is has one securing bolt around the middle of it, but this needs removing for glowplugs so may have been left out anyway.  Then a couple of T20 torx screws at the other end.

A quick look a pictures of new EGR valves for these appears to show just a round hose fitting between the valve and the cooler so it should be easily separable, possibly a Clic-R or jubilee style clip but I can't say any more than that.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2017 at 11:50 AM, TomsFocus said:

if you want to fully remove it from the car you will either have to disconnect it from the cooler or disconnect the water pipes and remove it with the cooler attached.

I'm presuming that if i can disconnect it from the cooler there will be no water loss?  Only if i have to disconnect the pipes to remove the cooler as well will i lose water?  Looking at it now on the drive there is a clip that's attached to the cooler and so i think it will come off without removing the cooler too.

52 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

I'm presuming that if i can disconnect it from the cooler there will be no water loss?  Only if i have to disconnect the pipes to remove the cooler as well will i lose water?  Looking at it now on the drive there is a clip that's attached to the cooler and so i think it will come off without removing the cooler too.

Yeah that's right. :smile: 

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah that's right. :smile: 

Cheers mate.  I'm having real difficulty with access to the one bolt - trying to figure a way to get at it.  Also on the valve itself to dismantle it there are torx heads but the type that need a socket so i reckon I'll put it back together and pickup a few more tools.  Any suggestions for ratchets/spanners for tight access?

I've got a 200pc Halfords kit these days, so it comes with ratchet spanners, small shallow or deep 1/4" sockets and bendy universal joints etc.  Can't remember which combination I would've used there unfortunately, I do remember it was all by feel though due to lack of visuals.  Which size kit was it that you have?

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I've got a 200pc Halfords kit these days, so it comes with ratchet spanners, small shallow or deep 1/4" sockets and bendy universal joints etc.  Can't remember which combination I would've used there unfortunately, I do remember it was all by feel though due to lack of visuals.  Which size kit was it that you have?

I've done it mate and the car is back together again.  Faffed around for a while trying different extension sockets then hit on the right length.  Also found some torx sockets i didn't even know i had in my toolbox so all good there.  Now to see if cleaning it stops the blue smoke.....time will tell!

• Like 1