Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Registration date

Findlay

Sorry if I've posted on the wrong part of the forum but I've just joined!

I wonder if anyone can help. I ordered a new Fiesta from my local dealer  a few weeks back - it is a factory build. I've just been given a build date for 28th October and the dealer wants to register it in October to "speed delivery". It seems to me I'm losing something here - I haven't beeen given a specific delivery date, just mid November to early December. Surely it is best to ask them to hold up registration until the car arrives at the dealership? Otherwise I'd be losing out at least a month of warranty cover and the MOT would be due a month or two earlier than the 36 months!  

They can't register it until it's built, shipped and arrived at the dealership.
Is the VIN available yet? Without the VIN it can't be registered as it doesn't officially exist until then.
If it's like my dealership they contact you when they accept it then offer you a small choice of registration number options to choose from.
I'll actually be doing just that early next week when I chop my current ST if for my new one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply Stoney871! 

The dealer was definitely intending to register it this month  - I think they can get the VIN sent to them in time. They sent me an e-mail yesterday saying they had a build date of 27th October and were planning to register the car this month to speed delivery. I think they are up to something here. Can I insist that they wait until the car has arrived until it is registered?

for t

Why are they rushing the registration?
Maybe trying to manipulate sales records to meet monthly targets?
I would go and see them in person and insist they wait or you'll cancel and watch them backpedal madly [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks again - I'll insist they wait until it arrives. It does seem like they are rushing to meet targets. I'm a bit annoyed by it - they were trying to make it seem as if they were doing me a favour!

registering wont speed its build and delivery schedule. who is the dealer?

• Like 1

Thanks - I thought it was strange that they were claiming it would speed delivery. The dealer is a local one - rather not name! I guess I have to be tough with them. Should I insist that they only register it the week of collection? I must say it has dampened my enthusiasm a bit and feeling a bit like calling the whole thing off. 

Is it possible to have a new car resistered on the day of collection? I'd like to insist on this if it is possible but feel I can't trust the dealer now. Does it take a few day to get the reg plates sorted?

I had the same when I bought my fiesta in 2015 from a large dealership in Plymouth.  They registered it on 31st March as they had all the details but the vehicle was actually in the pound at Bristol awaiting transportation because, they said, it is a busy time of year for new cars.  I finally picked it up at the end of April.  When I complained they said it was normal industry practice.

Have just got a response back from the dealer. I insisted on registration on day of collection. Just as Clive predicted there was immediate back-pedalling to say that was fine. Even asked if there was anything they could do in order to register it earlier. Not sure what they mean by this. Thanks everyone for your help.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club