Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync3 Firmware and Nav Updates

simonb65

I read on other forums that the US now has v3.0 for Sync3. Just wonderjng if anyone has heard of any updates for UK models? Also, has anyone had their map nav data updated? I'm finding so many roads that have been changed/added, for a few years now, that still isn't in the nav supplied with my Sept 2016 Sync3 system!

So much for updates over WiFi! Had mine connected to my home network for a year now ... not a dicky bird! .... Nothing ! :unsure:

No point including tech if they are not going to use it.

Ford have been terrible for applying updates to system here in uk for years. US have had free firmware updates for sync since sync 1 over the air updates since sync 2 and 3. In the uk we have had nothing just left with how it is from factory and the dealers charging upto £300 to do any sort of sync updates. Even the sd nav cards are not updated regularly enough for the uk then when they are there 1-2 years out of date. It’s absolutely shocking how ford treat the uk customers with updates on there cars. 

My car was built in Dec 16.  The map installed in the Sync 3 is EU 4 14!  2 years out of date at build, outrageous!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys

I'm having a right run around from the the dealer, Ford Technical and Ford Customer Relations with respect to what map should currently be installed and I'm not sure anyone in the UK are able to answer this seemingly simple question at this time.

Can I ask those of you who have Sync 3 to look at this screen on yours and let me know what your Map Version is please?  

Also can you let me know if you are aware of recent-ish roads, that appear on other sat navs that are not shown on the in built sat nav thereby showing that your Sync 3 maps are not up-to-date?

I keep getting told to update to WiFi.  Lost count of how often I've tried and this map still appears to be 3 years old.

20171020_140519.thumb.jpg.f05e47e3ca75a0e1306b20637477f3fa.jpg

My car was built in Dec 16.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

Mine was built Sept 16 and has same details as Jim. Also tried wifi update several times but it just looks like its constantly searching to no avail

You get similar answers from them on Sync 2 Sat Nav. One staff member tried to tell me it was acceptable for it to be 5 years out of date! They wash their hands of it by insisting it's a Tom Tom Sat Nav so they are the people to contact, although the workshop foreman thinks it's Garmin! Oddly, one of the mobile Ford engineers says his Mondeo has the same random route problem that mine has, his answer is that he uses his 'phone!

there is still no later map data available, and it wont be updated via wifi. it will be usb stick when it does become available. it should be fairly soon..

the map update will take quite a while to install(an hour or so)

the wifi updates in theory are supposed to be for sync and not map data.

Iirc the sync3 mapping data is exactly the same as the sync2 F6 card data.
Basically until F7 cards come out at some point it's unlikely for there to be any sync3 map updates available.
Seeing as F6 only came out this year I think the wait will be at least another year or two.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was talking to someone today with knowledge of this issue when I pressed him he thought it would be soon. But how soon is soon? Lol

But reading between the lines I think there was an expectation that users will use apple car play and android equivalent to use the phones sat Nav apps which are updated more regularly apparently.

55 minutes ago, iantt said:

there is still no later map data available, and it wont be updated via wifi. it will be usb stick when it does become available. it should be fairly soon..

the map update will take quite a while to install(an hour or so)

the wifi updates in theory are supposed to be for sync and not map data.

I don't doubt what you are saying iantt but how do you know this if Ford UK can't give me an answer?  If it will be available soon any idea how much it will cost?

51 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Iirc the sync3 mapping data is exactly the same as the sync2 F6 card data.
Basically until F7 cards come out at some point it's unlikely for there to be any sync3 map updates available.
Seeing as F6 only came out this year I think the wait will be at least another year or two.

F6 card, F7 card?  No idea what you are talking about.  Please elaborate?

F6 card, F7 card?  No idea what you are talking about.  Please elaborate?
Sync2 uses an SD card for mapping data, the current card being the F6 version.
Sync3 has no SD card slot as mapping data is meant to be updated via wifi or usb drive.

I don't doubt what you are saying iantt but how do you know this if Ford UK can't give me an answer?  If it will be available soon any idea how much it will cost?

Ford UK are not going to tell you until they have a definite date. My source is further up the ladder than ford customer services.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim610 said:

Can I ask those of you who have Sync 3 to look at this screen on yours and let me know what your Map Version is please?  

Mine was built Sept 2016 and is the same as yours. I've asked my dealer to chase Ford UK for an answer to both Sync3 updates (to v3) and the latest maps ... No response yet! but I'm taking the car in in a couple of weeks so I'll pester them some more then. Last time he spoke to the Ford UK Edge Product manager and he was pretty helpful.

It's very frustrating that the UK seems to be the only market that Ford has opted to let the dealer do the update, even though the tech is in the car to do it. Even India has a download page on their Ford site for user upgrades!! :wacko: and the US has just stated getting the v3 update and already have had a v2.2 update since the car was launched in the UK.

My Sync 2 card is marked GM5T-19H449-FA . Does this make it a version 5 card?

My Sync 2 card is marked GM5T-19H449-FA . Does this make it a version 5 card?
That is indeed the F5 card.

Don't know if this is any help but I have just checked my June build Fiesta sync 3 map version and it is F6.1

New local nine month old roundabout not shown on my version but updated on my tomtom.

Edited by jsk
Further update

4 hours ago, jsk said:

Don't know if this is any help but I have just checked my June build Fiesta sync 3 map version and it is F6.1

New local nine month old roundabout not shown on my version but updated on my TomTom.

This was my argument with Think Ford. There are roads here that are over 3 years old and have shown on my Tom Tom One map for 18 months, don't show on my Edge though!

3 hours ago, kelvin1950 said:

This was my argument with Think Ford. There are roads here that are over 3 years old and have shown on my Tom Tom One map for 18 months, don't show on my Edge though!

And people wonder why buying a builtin sat nav is an expensive option ! Most off-line nav units now (apart from aviation) tend to have free updates for life which are updated at least quarterly. tomtom had the map share thingy which meant you could upload user changes for approval by tomtom and received free user updates that had been approved. It makes you wonder why they bother with their own mapping solutions and just give you a google maps plugin (maps downloaded on your phone) ... and I don't mean via CarPlay or Android Auto. Although the Car Play is really nice, and the Android Auto is ugly and buggy and you can't choose what you want from your phone and what you want from your Car (i.e. Just Phone Nav but Car Audio, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm picking up my edge on 1st december (2017 sport) - how do i find out what system is loaded onto my car before i leave the dealership..

Have they given you the VIN number yet?
If so go to this site and register for an independent user account then you can view all of the car's specs-
http://www.etis.ford.com/
It appears to be temporarily down at the moment though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

If so go to this site and register for an independent user account then you can view all of the car's specs-

Thanks for that - it looks like they charge or am i reading it wrong?

Been down most the afternoon. Anoying when you rely on it .

Thanks for that - it looks like they charge or am i reading it wrong?

No charge unless you ask for software download licences.

Put my vin number in and tells me my car but no other details ?