Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swap to DAB 6CD unit

Geordie59

Hi all, first post since buying a 2010 1.6 Zetec petrol. Would a Ford 6CD DAB head unit be a straightforward swap with the standard one in the car? I know I need to purchase some additional bits to do this.

Hi all, first post since buying a 2010 1.6 Zetec petrol. Would a Ford 6CD DAB head unit be a straightforward swap with the standard one in the car? I know I need to purchase some additional bits to do this.
If it has a single cd dab (as you need dab ariel) then yes but ensure its from a focus & not from mondeo. It needs to have certain seriel number to be compatible in the focus. I fitted a 6cd dab replacing single cd dab but kept it. Ensure you press load or unload for removing cds as they easilly get knackered.common issues.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Check out my guides link.
I have one for fitting DAB radios there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As the main purpose of the upgrade is for DAB maybe I should just stick to installing a single CD unit?

I retrofitted the Sony 6-CD DAB radio combined with the Sound & Connect system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol with USB, bluetooth Audio and Ipod support) to my previous Focus MK2.

The Premium Sony 6-CD DAB radio is a really nice radio. This the best sounding OEM Ford radio that was available in the Focus MK2.5. The sound quality is excellent (In combination with the Premium Sony Speakers even a bit better).

However the Sony radio's have 2 known problems.

The 1st problem is that Sony Radio's have the same (Philips) amplifier IC as the 6000CD. This type of amplifier IC is known to cause problems relatively often. No speaker output on 1 or more speaker channels or an internal short circuit which causes 12 Volt battery power to ruin the Speakers are just 2 examples. 

The 2nd problem is the 6-CD changer mechanism. This mechanism is known to be a weak parts that often causes problems. The mechanism is very compact, pretty complex and contains some small plastic parts. These plastic parts are known to break wich causes the mechanism to jam completely. CD-changer problems can be prevented by only loading 5 CD's and leaving the top CD empty.

In the past I repaired a lot of these Sony radio's by replacing the amplifier IC or by replacing the broken plastic parts of the 6-CD changer mechanism with custom made fiberglass parts. 

Because of the 6-CD changer mechanism problems the single CD version is more reliable in my opinion. If combined with the Sound & Connect system my experience is that the CD player functionality will barely be used. Most people who have the Sound & Connect system use the USB functionality instead.

• Like 2

Thanks for replies so far. After looking on eBay it gets a little confusing as to which unit is compatible with my 2010 Focus. Some as mentioned are being sold as suitable for Mondeo/Focus/Galaxy etc but one reply stated the Mondeo one might not fit. Any guidance on model of single dab unit that would be compatible.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club