Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rain Sensor Calibration

DJ_Andy_M

Since I've had my windscreen replaced my rain sensor hasn't been right. The whole screen floods with water sometimes before it will wipe, and when the rain is quite hard it doesn't go to full speed like it used to.

Is there some calibration process that is needed? Or do I need a new sensor?

No Calibration, sounds like the sensor has been refitted with the same gelpad. Ideally a new gelpad is required when refitting sensor. And obviously a clean screen also before fitting it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

No Calibration, sounds like the sensor has been refitted with the same gelpad. Ideally a new gelpad is required when refitting sensor. And obviously a clean screen also before fitting it

Thanks Iantt. I'm guessing a trip to Ford and some sweet talking to get someone to fit it for me!

Was the windsceen replaced by a Ford dealer or by a car glass company?

Car glass companies do usually not use OEM Ford windscreens. They usually use aftermarket brands like for example Pilkington or Saint Gobain Sekurit. Despite often being produced by the same manufacturer aftermarket windscreens are often not fully identical to the OEM Ford windscreens. Differences in color or heat reflective specifications can affect the functionality of the rain/light sensor.

I know a few cases of rain/light sensor problems which occurred after the OEM windscreen was replaced by an aftermarket windscreen. Replacement of both the gelpad and rain sensor did not solve the problem. Same for another aftermarket windscreen. After the aftermarket windscreen was replaced by an OEM windscreen all problems were solved.

If the windscreen was replaced by a Ford dealer the new windscreen should have a Ford logo. 

Personally I would go to the company that replaced the windscreen to have them solve the problem.

• Like 1

Pilkington is the OE manufacturer I think, my Focus screen was identical through autoglass even including the heat reflective layer, identical IR markings and identical hatchings around the mirror as well.

I did have a new screen on a previous car which was different, can't remember the brand name now but it was obviously inferior...the hatchings weren't as  good and the rear view mirror mount fell off the first time I tried to adjust it!

The windscreen tech managed to break my rain sensor when fitting the screen on the Focus.  Also fitted the gel pad upside down.  New gel pad was fitted but no change.  They replaced the sensor with a genuine Ford one (no cost to me) which cured the issue.

• Like 2

Pilkington or Saint Gobain Sekurit are OE, on my Focus the original Ford stamped glass is Saint Gobain Sekurit.

• Like 1

Mine was done by Autoglass. The windscreen is Ford stamped because I adamant that they supplied genuine glass due to my car being under warranty. They obliged and actually ordered it in.

Popping a call into them now regarding the issue. The call taker has agreed my screen shouldn't be flooding before wiping.