Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stiff gears

zain611

Hey everyone so since this month I noticed when going into third gear sometimes it's a bit stiff / hard to get into. Sometimes I have to put a bit of force into getting it in which mainly happens when I'm downshifting from fourth. Any thoughts on this. Just hope it's not the gearbox going, there's no crunching or odd noises when shifting. Have a feeling it's the linkage. 

I noticed also today I heard a clicking noise coming from the right side air vent when I had the fan on with the warm settings. I was also playing music from the aux port which probably is the first time I used it and noticed the noise. The clicking went after about a minute and came again for about ten seconds. When I drove again with the heater on and with the normal fm radio on I heard nothing. 

Hello ! I had the same problem.

Open the gear linkage box, and see if those cables are properly attached. If those are OK there is a bush there that because of the engine heat it expands, thus resulting in a stiff gear change! There is a video on YT about that if you feel like tackling the problem yourself !

Hope it helps !

T

• Like 1

Thanks TRD i saw this video. What would you consider hot as Id say above the minimum I'd notice this. The 1.6 tdci engine in my car takes about 5 minutes of driving for it to get to the minimum (60'c) so can't really tell if the heat effects the stiffness. I noticed it's mainly third gear I find it sometimes goes stiff / hard

When you're static, engine not running, is the gear change stiff?

And by hot i mean, that in time....because of the heat, that bush expanded, so it is a bit loose there. Also check the cables, maybe they need tightened. But go to a mechanic for that. 

1700098 02.jpg

• Like 1

Did you figure it out Zain!? I would like to know how those parts affect the stiff gear change. Thank you !

• Like 1

Hey TRD, I haven't had time to do it yet. Mainly have to see when dad is free. The other day I just played around with the gears with the engine off and compared it when driving. It felt the same but I'd say when the temperature goes above the point between the minimum and half mark is when it would sometimes go a bit hard to get into third (mainly downshifting). I can't say for sure if the engine temperature causes this at it takes about 5 minutes for it to get to the minimum mark.

Id say it sometimes becomes a little hard to get in or out of third gear. Hope it's not the gearbox going wrong but I can't hear any crunching, well going in reverse sometimes it crunches.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club