Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on buying a Fiesta

Crafty14

Hi all,

Firstly I know this may be a bit of a bias forum to post this into - but your opinions are highly appreciated :)

I'm looking to buy a used small hatchback, budget around £9,000-£9,500. My shortlist is:

• A Fiesta Titanium X 2014/2015 1.0 Ecoboost (either 99 or 125 PS)
  • VW Polo (with the 1.2 turbo petrol)
  • Vauxhall Corsa (with the 1.0 turbo petrol)

I'm a big fan of the Fiesta and moving from my current 2009 1.25 model (ergh its soo slow) to the nippy little Ecoboost is a big attraction for me. However with that said I find the interior looking super dated. I'll be speccing the Titanium X so it would have all the bells and whistles though.

I guess I'm looking for your advice, if you had ~£9k to go on a small hatchback would you go for? Having 5 doors is a must. Also, when it comes to the 99 or 125 PS - much difference? 

Thanks

The 1.25 to ecoboost 125 is a big bump in performance. The titanium x is a nice trim. The corsa 1.0 turbo I wouldn't call  under powered but seemed less nippy than the ecoboost with slower 0-60 time but faster than the 1.25. No experience of the polo.

• Thanks 1

definatly no to the corsa, ive worked at a vauxhall garage !!! fiesta is far superior in all departments .

• Thanks 1

Between the polo and Fiesta for me. Vauxhalls are cheap for a reason, the 5 door models look horrible too.

Polo will have a good build quality, but I find them to look very basic and boring all around. 

The fiestas are a good allrounder I'd say. Nippy but I'd be looking at a bigger engine as if you think your 1.2 is very slow, the 1L isn't that much faster unless you rag it everywhere.

Go for the 125 rather than the 99 unless you're getting a great deal. You notice the difference. 

• Thanks 1

Recent Vauxhalls have had their problems, it must be said.  I did however find the local dealership to be very helpful, which is something I certainly couldn't say about any of the nearby Ford dealerships (I tried 3).  See links in my signatures for more on my Ford experiences.

I know the looks are a little love it or hate it, but the Skoda Fabia is extremely highly regarded (and is basically a Polo).  Can get some decent specs (look for SEL or SE) and the 1.2 TSi 110PSI is a nippy car. Best interior space in class.  Faster than the 125 EcoBoost and I have no doubt far less worrisome in terms of long term reliability. Better residuals too. Here's an example and with some haggling, you'll get it in budget.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709099142951?make=SKODA&model=FABIA

I went for a Swift Sport and am happy with it, although this is a marginally smaller car and the boot is like a shoe box.

• Thanks 1

or you could have had my dads suzuki swift sz4 65plate 8k for £7000 with every extra inc satnav. cant get anyone interested for some reason.
the selling dealer taking it off him now for £6800.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

or you could have had my dads suzuki swift sz4 65plate 8k for £7000 with every extra inc satnav. cant get anyone interested for some reason.

A new model has just come out. It's making the older shaped ones harder to shift which is unfortunate.

The only spec that is holding up at the moment is the Sport as its replacement is still awaited. The older/current version of the Sport may not follow this pattern of being difficult to shift, as it's basically the last in the breed of fast revving normally aspirated engines. The new one has sold its soul to the devil and went with a smaller displacement and a turbo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iantt said:

My Mum and her partner both have a Swift SZ4 each, much cheaper than a Fiesta Titanium for similar spec, though only one choice of petrol engine, smaller boot and no autowipers (yet has auto lights! :unsure: ).  Even has actual rear brakes where the Fiesta has those archaic drums lol.

Although the new shape Swift is out, it looks pretty awful imo...I'd buy the old shape over that one...though their new turbo engine should be an improvement...

15 hours ago, GaryPL said:

Recent Vauxhalls have had their problems, it must be said.  I did however find the local dealership to be very helpful, which is something I certainly couldn't say about any of the nearby Ford dealerships (I tried 3).  See links in my signatures for more on my Ford experiences.

I know the looks are a little love it or hate it, but the Skoda Fabia is extremely highly regarded (and is basically a Polo).  Can get some decent specs (look for SEL or SE) and the 1.2 TSi 110PSI is a nippy car. Best interior space in class.  Faster than the 125 EcoBoost and I have no doubt far less worrisome in terms of long term reliability. Better residuals too. Here's an example and with some haggling, you'll get it in budget.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709099142951?make=SKODA&model=FABIA

I went for a Swift Sport and am happy with it, although this is a marginally smaller car and the boot is like a shoe box.

Damn you made my choice so much harder now - I do like the look of the Fabia (SEL trim)...

1 hour ago, Crafty14 said:

Damn you made my choice so much harder now - I do like the look of the Fabia (SEL trim)...

Sorry :wink:

when I bought my 2015 Fiesta a year ago (2nd hand) I was also looking at the Fabia. The main reason I went for the Fiesta was because my previous 2007 Fiesta had a Quickclear windscreen and I was reluctant to buy a car without that feature, as I use the quickclear windscreen a lot in winter and would really miss it. I much prefer the shape of a 2015 Fabia compared to mk7/mk7.5 Fiesta, but when i am in it driving I can't see the shape so thought the quickclear windcreen is more important

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club