Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF deleters, your days are numbered

mjt

watch it old timer, we will be living in bloomin wind turbines up here soon!!! :lol: 

• Like 2

There's some areas in Britain that would benefit from a few million pounds worth of nuclear improvement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I think your on to something there, how about we just take out Wales and fill it with water. Pumped storage problem - solved! :) 

Hey, hold on there, there's already plenty of water here in Wales at the moment, didn't you know it's the p*** down capital of the uk 🌧️🌧️🌧️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stef123 said:

watch it old timer, we will be living in bloomin wind turbines up here soon!!! :lol: 

Once they run out of areas of natural beauty to destroy you just know the next step will be your back yard...not theirs of course, just yours ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iantt said:

and you get sunny days??

Yep, plenty down here on the East Anglian coast...the gale force wind blows all the cloud in land! :laugh: 

13 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

All of the UKs windpower accounts for about 15,000 MW,  we would need to more than double the number of farms just to power a mere 10% of the traffic on the road.  Wind is also pretty crap in the evening when folk charge cars so we would need to store that power somehow, the most effective way of doing that is Pumped Storage, all the pumped storage in Scotland accounts for about 900MW....

it isn't feasible, lets forget it and just do what we should have done a decade ago, Hydrogen! 

The trouble with most renewable energy is storage tbh, obviously it's not sunny or windy all of the time, maybe we can build a massive capacitor somewhere...

Would you honestly trust the British public with Hydrogen?  I've seen people get out of cars on a petrol forecourt with a cig on the go! :lol:  Adding the infrastructure for Hydrogen storage/sales wouldn't be cheap or easy either...at least we have electricity, even if there's not enough of it yet lol!

There's a large windfarm being built off the Suffolk coast atm, they're doing an archaeological dig on the site where the cables will go and had an open day to show the finds last week and also showed the power side of it as well...they said it would produce about 750MW which seemed a lot...but not now I've seen those figures lol! :unsure:   

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, plenty down here on the East Anglian coast...the gale force wind blows all the cloud in land! :laugh: 

The trouble with most renewable energy is storage tbh, obviously it's not sunny or windy all of the time, maybe we can build a massive capacitor somewhere...

Would you honestly trust the British public with Hydrogen?  I've seen people get out of cars on a petrol forecourt with a cig on the go! :lol:  Adding the infrastructure for Hydrogen storage/sales wouldn't be cheap or easy either...at least we have electricity, even if there's not enough of it yet lol!

There's a large windfarm being built off the Suffolk coast atm, they're doing an archaeological dig on the site where the cables will go and had an open day to show the finds last week and also showed the power side of it as well...they said it would produce about 750MW which seemed a lot...but not now I've seen those figures lol! :unsure:   

That's the thing with Renewables, they can certainly add to the infrastructure, i mean if its not doing any harm then why not, but its not the be all and end all, there needs to be a sustainable source that can be ramped up at a moments notice, since oil, Gas and Coal is no longer an option that only leaves Hydro and Nuclear and joking aside, unless your planning on flooding a large part of Wales or Scotland, there wont be enough at peak times and worse still, if we have a period of unexpected calm, then we might not even have the power to refill the reservoirs.

As for them throwing an open day for you all, its a little bit cheeky if I'm honest.  They are basically inviting you in to show you how they are going to bend you over and give you a good seeing too :)

Tax payers supplement the cost of building them, we then pay for the energy we use in bills, we also pay for the energy we cant use if it blows too hard and for good measure, we pay for the energy that hasn't been made if they don't spin at all.   Not to mention the millions of tones of CO2 that's produced in the construction of Concrete, Aluminium and wiring for them and finally to top it all off, they don't last all that long before needing replaced.    

Not only that, to top all that off, every 10 years we increase usage by about 9% even without the electric cars

• Like 1

For those who are truly worried about CO2 emitions (is that spelt right?) Then please do shut up coz it's those who produce more CO2 than all Industry does combined when they open their gobs lol

lol actually, in all seriousness, if we truly cared about reducing CO2 emissions, then we would all stop farming live stock and all become veggies that is by far the largest contributor to CO2 emission (out side of a single Volcanic eruption which may wipe out any reduction in CO2 generation for all of Human History) 

But somehow i doubt that will happen, folk like their steaks too much. they like to save the planet (or feel like they are) but only if they are not put out by it.

For the record I like my Steak done so rare it should Moo when i poke it with a fork and actually, since Ikea ditched the horse meat, their meatballs have never been the same. :D

• Like 1

I don't like steak, I'm fine with getting rid of the cows... :laugh:

The best scenario is to start killing off humans though...the planet would be much better off without us on it! :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

back to the hydrogen bomb plan again then

i bet gchq are watching me now ive mentioned bomb and plan a few times!!

might get a knock on the door tonight pretending to be trick or treaters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Look out your window, I'm the one at the far left side of the assault party    :shaun::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::rifle:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you know the name of the windfarm? I might have been on the platform that houses the switchgear and transformers.

Look out your window, I'm the one at the far left side of the assault party    :shaun:ph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.png:rifle:

There only 13miles from me!!

12 hours ago, stef123 said:

Do you know the name of the windfarm? I might have been on the platform that houses the switchgear and transformers.

The new one is East Anglia ONE. There is already Greater Gabbard just off the Suffolk/Essex coast as well.

The real answer is fusion power, trouble is they keep saying it's 30 years away.

Fusion power?  I don't see how a slower, heavier Fiesta will solve our energy problems! :whistling1:

Renaming it B-Max might help though...

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mjt said:

The real answer is fusion power, trouble is they keep saying it's 30 years away.

Fusion is apart of the answer. The problem is when you get 10 million cars getting home from work and plugging in, the network will get mugged.  The best method is to use Nuclear to make vast amounts of Hydrogen which can be stored as we store petrol today. That way you spread out the requirement for energy and it can be given on demand, unless you want to go down the route of having disposable batteries or replicable ones which you know is going to cost a bomb, electric cars are just not worth it.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Energy recovery systems, may as well use that wasted energy for good use, but id much rather that hybrid approach is strapped to a hydrogen car.

If you're going to make Hydrogen widely available then fuel cells would be the best technology for using it. However one point to bear in mind is that because Hydrogen is a very small molecule it's very difficult to stop it escaping when in it's gaseous form and because it's so much lighter than air any that does escape will simply disappear into space and be lost forever. If hundreds of millions of vehicles worldwide are using it the cumulative loss during refuelling could be huge.

I don't think these plug in hybrids will take off as hoped. I read lots of reviews on such cars (especially the awesome Golf GTE) and the good reviewers stated something interesting. One in particular was contacted by his energy provider about his sudden big increase in electricity use. Coincided with his log term review of the Golf. People who have these plug in hybrids are going to get peed off with their electricity bills rocketing up that their gonna get rid. When I picked up my Lexus I got talking about the new LC500H which looks stunningly awesome and better looking than the Tesla. He said he was getting quite a few interests from Tesla owners for the LC500H. Fossil fuel engines coupled with batteries is a fabulous was to propel a car and very efficient. My fuel bill has halved and if I want I can still go as quick as my mondeo did.
Hydrogen cars will one day be the future. They already have them in America.
I know one firm in Sheffield that gets the hydrogen out of both air and water then do something to that so it can charge a battery car. This firm makes the convertors and sends them worldwide at about £1 million each.
But for now the Toyota system looks best I think.

4 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

One in particular was contacted by his energy provider about his sudden big increase in electricity use. Coincided with his log term review of the Golf. People who have these plug in hybrids are going to get peed off with their electricity bills rocketing up that their gonna get rid

I think it's still the case, though, that running on electricity is cheaper per mile than fossil fuels. However once the changeover really takes off and the government starts to lose the tax receipts from fossil they'll no doubt find a way to tax electric vehicles.

Er, and what about the thousands and thousands of people who live in housing with no off street parking? Has the infrastructure really been thought through?

18 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Er, and what about the thousands and thousands of people who live in housing with no off street parking? Has the infrastructure really been thought through?

nope, not at all, you need to remember that even at home, its not a typical 13A socket that will do the job, its a 32A dedicated feed, much like what you have for an electric shower or oven.  then can you imagine the issues with stealing electricity, or filling up on a forecourt with 20 cars waiting to fill up. not to mention the serious power requirements.  the whole thing is a joke. 

• Like 3

To return to the original topic this article makes interesting reading and shows the arguments between petrol and diesel are far from clear-cut.

Nevertheless I would still maintain that removing emission control systems from vehicles just because of their cost cannot be justified.

• Like 1

An old petrol with single point injection and no EGR had poor emissions regulation, who knew...  :rolleyes:  They also closed the window to stop fumes, in a car with no cabin filter and presumably the fans on full... :laugh: 

I'd be up for one of those tests on an ~8 year old car with and without DPF and EGR in real world conditions though, the same car to make it fair.  Would be really interesting to know how much difference there is in real world driving.  Tbh I'm amazed the EGR still appeared to be working well on a 9 year old Octavia.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club