Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do I disable auto indicator cancelling?

Lee James

This is driving me insane! My new Ford has automatic direction indicator cancelling. The manual doesn't say how it can be turned off.

It's so irritating! It is totally distracting to my driving having to constantly keep hitting the indicator switch over and over and over and over - instead of just hitting it once at the start then once at the end. In particular, parking is a nightmare. Instead of looking around for hazards, I have to keep going back to the indicator over and over. Who would want a car that works this way? It's also frustrating when I want to do a quick indication, for example when I'm moving the car slightly to the right because of a minor hazard on the road. I don't want a long indication in those situations, or people might think I'm going to pull into a junction.

Please can someone help!? I am well aware that 99.9% of drivers don't bother to indicate, and don't care about indicating, or letting other road users know what their intentions are. However, I like to drive properly, and indicating is important to me. So this automatic indicator is driving me mad!

Do you mean the indicator turns off when you straighten up the wheel?

If so that's a feature which has been on cars for a long long time, it's mechanical so no way of turning it off.

I've never driven a car which doesn't do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Do you mean the indicator turns off when you straighten up the wheel?

If so that's a feature which has been on cars for a long long time, it's mechanical so no way of turning it off.

I've never driven a car which doesn't do that.

I think the manual says it turns it off after 3 flashes, though I'm not sure if it happens when I straight up the wheel. One thing I know is that I want to decide when I've finished indicating, not let the car decide for me. What possible benefit could there be to the car guessing? It's almost certainly going to get it wrong.

I have owned 5 Ford cars and this is the first time I've ever had one that cancels my signal for me. I hope to goodness there is a way to disable this. How could Ford do this to their customers?

Do you mean the lane change indicator function?

If you just push the indicator slightly and not fully click it in to place, it will flash the indicator 3 times to signal a lane change.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, alexp999 said:

If you just push the indicator slightly and not fully click it in to place, it will flash the indicator 3 times to signal a lane change.

But 3 flashes is too long for a minor hazard. I was taught to give one or two flashes, which seems reasonable for a very minor hazard. After 3 flashes, I've already moved the car back to the left again.

You shouldn't be indicating around such small hazards anyway, it can be confusing for other motorists.  Road positioning should be enough of a signal if you're passing a cyclist or a parked car for example.  I guess you were taught to drive a while ago as my Mum also likes to indicate at every possible eventuality... 

All indicators have self cancelled when the wheel passes the centre point for over 20 years.  But the 3 flash is a 'modern' extra for lane changes or leaving a roundabout.  If you want the indicator fully on, click it into position, then you can click it off when you want.  You may be able to turn it off in the dash menu, I've not driven a Fusion but you can in the Focus and Fiesta.

Think yourself lucky you don't drive a Vectra...the indicator and wiper stalk had no 'clicks' to it, you never knew where it was positioned and always ended up getting the opposite indicator when trying to cancel the first one...now that was an awful design! :laugh: 

• Like 3

Most fords I've driven you can change it from 3 to 1 flash in the vehicle settings, 

if you only want them to flash as long as you want I'm sure latching the stalk on then clicking it off will allow you to do that rather than just gentle pressing the stalk which activates the lane change flashing.

some cars just need your style of driving adapting to the car rather than getting angry with it for not working like yo want it to.

On 1 November 2017 at 12:11 PM, TomsFocus said:

You shouldn't be indicating around such small hazards anyway, it can be confusing for other motorists.  Road positioning should be enough of a signal if you're passing a cyclist or a parked car for example.  I guess you were taught to drive a while ago as my Mum also likes to indicate at every possible eventuality... 

All indicators have self cancelled when the wheel passes the centre point for over 20 years.  But the 3 flash is a 'modern' extra for lane changes or leaving a roundabout.  If you want the indicator fully on, click it into position, then you can click it off when you want.  You may be able to turn it off in the dash menu, I've not driven a Fusion but you can in the Focus and Fiesta.

Think yourself lucky you don't drive a Vectra...the indicator and wiper stalk had no 'clicks' to it, you never knew where it was positioned and always ended up getting the opposite indicator when trying to cancel the first one...now that was an awful design! :laugh: 

Every thing between the front badge and the rear badge was an awful design, including the badges.

• Like 1

Every thing between the front badge and the rear badge was an awful design, including the badges.
Wash your mouth out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 11/1/2017 at 11:53 AM, Lee James said:

But 3 flashes is too long for a minor hazard. I was taught to give one or two flashes, which seems reasonable for a very minor hazard. After 3 flashes, I've already moved the car back to the left again.

Some drivers don't see an indicator on at all let alone one or two flashes. The intermittent nature of indicators means that the first flash may go unnoticed, and then the second or third flash will grab drivers attention. Three flashes seems the right amount, the works vans have 5 flashes which is far too many (and you can't cancel them...). 

As others have said, you need to push your indicator stalk until it clicks if you want them to stay on - and if you only want to do one or two flashes, you can do this by pushing the stalk all the way and then unclicking it manually.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club