Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Stolen - need lock change

ventionandy

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and im after some advice about locks on a 06 Fiesta facelift. My car was unfortunately stolen last week and recovered without the keys (I still have the original spare) which means that for 100% piece of mind im going to change all the locks (inc ignition). I have been given quotes for a new lock set (boot, driver door & boot) and keys (1 new central locking remote key & a spare), however the private garage that's doing it doesnt know if they can code the new remote key to the central locking unit and that Ford may have to do it.

How does the central locking unit and key programming work on this fiesta? I presume if ford do have to code the key/s i'd have to ask the garage to leave the original ignition barrel change til last in order for me to drive to ford and get the new keys programmed? However once the new central locking remote key has been programmed, will i still be able to start the car with the old key? i.e. does the ignition run off the same key programme as the central locking?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Have you tried the easy option of going to Ford and asking them how much they would charge to do the whole lot for you?

Also is there anything in your insurance that might pay for this to be done? If I remember rightly, my insurance has key cover that pays out to replace lost or stolen keys... do you have something like this?

Jonny,

Ford have quoted me nearly £650 for everything, where as a private garage has quoted £250 with £75 for it to be coded at ford. Quite a considerable difference.

I am with Direct Line and am unsure about key cover, I have already claimed for a new windscreen and side window which the thieves smashed (which was covered with a one off excess payment as i'm fully comp) but I am not sure whether a similar arangement exists for lost keys? I will check though thanks.

Andy

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and im after some advice about locks on a 06 Fiesta facelift. My car was unfortunately stolen last week and recovered without the keys (I still have the original spare) which means that for 100% piece of mind im going to change all the locks (inc ignition). I have been given quotes for a new lock set (boot, driver door & boot) and keys (1 new central locking remote key & a spare), however the private garage that's doing it doesnt know if they can code the new remote key to the central locking unit and that Ford may have to do it.

How does the central locking unit and key programming work on this fiesta? I presume if ford do have to code the key/s i'd have to ask the garage to leave the original ignition barrel change til last in order for me to drive to ford and get the new keys programmed? However once the new central locking remote key has been programmed, will i still be able to start the car with the old key? i.e. does the ignition run off the same key programme as the central locking?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Jonny,

Ford have quoted me nearly £650 for everything, where as a private garage has quoted £250 with £75 for it to be coded at ford. Quite a considerable difference.

I am with Direct Line and am unsure about key cover, I have already claimed for a new windscreen and side window which the thieves smashed (which was covered with a one off excess payment as i'm fully comp) but I am not sure whether a similar arangement exists for lost keys? I will check though thanks.

Andy

Had a feeling they would charge something stupid like that... Sometimes the key cover is in a seperate policy and has little or no excess...

One other thing to consider perhaps, is just to get more keys cut for the existing locks and have the ignition re-programmed. Two new keys and a full re-programme of the ignition will cost around £160

Obviously if the people who stole your car still have the keys (unlikely) then they would be able to get into your car but not be able to actually start it.

If you decide you might like to go down this route let me know - I have a good contact who can do this - they did the same for my old Mk4

i would have thought your insurance would cover the locks as standard policy, there's no way id be paying for new one's thats for sure, after all what are you paying your insurance for. on the other hand if they say no then tell them it'll be there fault when the car get's nicked again as the thieves still have the keys! good luck

Talk to your insurance company. They should tell you to get the old keys cancelled/deleted from the ecu plus a complete lock change.

If you dont tell them and your car gets stolen in the future, you may not be covered.

Find a local auto locksmith. He will be able to re-lever you locks, make and code in new keys for a lot less than ford.

Get it done right.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club