Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tapping sound from engine at 2000 revs

Rikki_Sixx

Hi guys, first post here - go easy on me haha!

My 2000 reg Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec has recently begun playing up a little and I was hoping to pick up a little advice. The main problems are below:

- A knocking / tapping from the drivers-side of the engine when I get to about 2000 revs, usually when accelerating in all gears (this usually happens after the car has warmed up)

- When slowing down for junctions, roundabouts etc the engine has a tendancy to cut out, even with the clutch down and doing 20mph.

- When idling, both in neutral and in-gear with the clutch down, the engine revs fluctuate between 1000 and 1500 revs. Once the engine is warmed up a little, it settles down to around 900 revs.

- The heaters no longer blow warm air.

- Sometimes there is a regular, consistent slow knocking, almost like a heartbeat, from a different location toward the front of the engine. This is a slow knocking, as opposed to the rapid knocking when accelerating around 2000 revs.

It may or may not be relevant, but my cooling system requires pretty regular top ups now, making me think there may be a leak somewhere. I need a full litre bottle every few months.

I hope this is of use to someone with more understanding than me! Thanks in advance for any help!

Rik

the trouble with the revs and the cutting out is most likely the idle speed controle valve, this can be removed and cleaned with some carb cleaner and is a common fault.

the lack of heat again is a common problem and is most likely the heater controlle valve these have a habit of packing up.

if there is no obvious signs of the water leak it could be a faulty pressure cap or a head gasket problem but without inspection its hard to say , same goes with the knocking.

i think these Fiesta use a lot of water just keep eye on it ;)

btw welcome

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Taking him into a garage tomorrow for a check, as I think there's a serious problem now.

I filled the coolant yesterday evening, almost to the Max line, and this morning while chatting about it in the car-park at work I noticed steam coming from under the bonnet. The coolant tank was bone-dry, pipes felt completely empty and there was steam coming from the front of the engine, quite low down.... Not heard the knocking much since I started this thread, probably because I've not done more than 8 miles at a time. Fingers crossed it's something relatively painless to fix, as he's a brill little motor with low milage for his age!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club