Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I have USB, or not?

Wibs

Hi guys,

I live on the Costa del Sol and have just bought a 2010 Ford Focus Titanium.

It is fitted with a Sony CD (Generation 2) audio unit, and pressing the CD/AUX button brings up USB as a  menu option. I have also found in the unit behind the handbrake (under the armrest) a 12V power socket, an Aux jack socket, and a USB connector.

When I connect a USB stick with mp3 songs on it the stick illuminates, indicating that it is powered, but then selecting USB from the CD/Aux menu it says USB not fitted!

Am I doing something wrong, or is this USB connector just for charging?

The USB connector is for audio playback.

As long as the USB drive is recognised, formatted correctly (FAT32) and the music files on the drive are supported (correct file extension and bitrate) the USB functionality should work correctly.

Thanks JW for the prompt reply.

I am a little confused. In a thread you replied to a couple of years back you said " The older GEN 1 (square shaped) and GEN 2 (oval shaped) Sony radio's produced before approximately 03-2008 do not support USB. " Do you mean that Generation 2 unit produced AFTER 2008 DO now support USB?

The USB stick I used was a FAT 32. I have no idea what the bitrate of each mp3 is (80 of them) but I imagine there are a mix of bitrates, but the menu should still show the list of files, right?

I have the Audio System Handbook that came with the car, and it covers the Sony CD (Generation 2) unit, but makes no mention of USB functionality anywhere in the Handbook (despite USB being a menu option). Do you or anyone else know where I can get these details from (what files are supported, bitrate, file system, etc)?

Thanks

Wibs

Sony radio's that are produced after approximately 03-2008 are GEN 3 Sony radio's and no GEN 2 radio's. The GEN 3 Sony radio's look identical to the older GEN 2 Sony radio's but are technically different. One of the differences are the USB, bluetooth Audio and Ipod support.

Personally I would start with trying a different USB drive. Some USB drives are not properly recognised by the Ford audio system.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club