Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2016 - WiFi connection, whats the benefits?

Terry Parrott

I have a Ford Focus Titanium X with Sync 2. The Sync 2 can connect to a WiFi but I blessed if I can see any benefits or extra features that are available after getting connected?

There aren't any.
The idea is that you tether the car to your mobile phone and then share the car's IP address with passengers rather than linking directly via your phone.
On sync3 it's different, you can actually link to external wifi for software updates and diagnostics if available.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Terry Parrott said:

I have a Ford Focus Titanium X with Sync 2. The Sync 2 can connect to a WiFi but I blessed if I can see any benefits or extra features that are available after getting connected?

What Stoney871 said.  I had a 2016 Sync 2 Ti X and could never find any other use for the wifi connection.

Now have a new Sync 3 car and it's a lot different to Sync 2, although, i've haven't had any Sync 3 updates via wifi as far as I know.

Remember, just because Ford UK 'can' update sync3 by wifi it doesn't mean they will.
Ford USA are keener to embrace wifi updates and do so already afaik.

On 04/11/2017 at 1:21 PM, Stoney871 said:

Remember, just because Ford UK 'can' update sync3 by wifi it doesn't mean they will.
Ford USA are keener to embrace wifi updates and do so already afaik.

Ford UK prefer that you take a 12 month old car to one of their dealers and pay them to install an update even though it's under warranty  :wallbash: (it's not a "fault" you see so not covered by the warranty)

Ford UK will update the software under warranty but only if it's in an attempt to fix an issue. They won't do it, just because you want it updated.

If it ain't broke don't fix it basically.

55 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Ford UK will update the software under warranty but only if it's in an attempt to fix an issue. They won't do it, just because you want it updated.

If it ain't broke don't fix it basically.

That's my point, in other territories Ford will allow users to update software themselves via USB and/or WIFI.  I can't see any reason for Ford UK to not also do this other than for "business" reasons.  Just because something isn't "broke" doesn't mean for some situations it isn't worthwhile to install an update (new features for the head unit for example).

2 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

That's my point, in other territories Ford will allow users to update software themselves via USB and/or WIFI.  I can't see any reason for Ford UK to not also do this other than for "business" reasons.  Just because something isn't "broke" doesn't mean for some situations it isn't worthwhile to install an update (new features for the head unit for example).

The reason is that updates can introduce new problems, which the customer will then expect Ford to fix.

So by not updating unless there is an issue, it means there is no potential to cause an issue.

Just now, alexp999 said:

The reason is that updates can introduce new problems, which the customer will then expect Ford to fix.

So by not updating unless there is an issue, it means there is no potential to cause an issue.

I agree that there may occasionally be fringe cases but Ford USA has a lot more customers than Ford UK and they seem to get by just fine.

• Like 1

My understanding is that Sync 2 was never a completed product and Ford didn't bother to finish it because they introduced Sync 3. There is quite a bit of documentation floating about the internet about Sync 2 and Applink, and other "app" related stuff on the units that doesn't exist on production devices.. 

8 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

My understanding is that Sync 2 was never a completed product and Ford didn't bother to finish it because they introduced Sync 3. There is quite a bit of documentation floating about the internet about Sync 2 and Applink, and other "app" related stuff on the units that doesn't exist on production devices.. 

Sync 2 is just a rebrand of MyFordTouch which has been about for years.

That's the only reason it moved on to Sync 3 so quick.

They also disabled some functionality when bringing it to Europe. Like applink etc.

8 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Sync 2 is just a rebrand of MyFordTouch which has been about for years.

That's the only reason it moved on to Sync 3 so quick.

They also disabled some functionality when bringing it to Europe. Like applink etc.

I've had a discussion with some users in the states and AppLink was never enabled on MyFordTouch either.

Ah ok, I'm sure they had applink. Definitely have more features turned on over there than we do on Sync 2 though.

20 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Ah ok, I'm sure they had applink. Definitely have more features turned on over there than we do on Sync 2 though.

Yup an almighty TWO features. Vehicle health report and Sync services which allowed you to send predefined routes from Google Maps or Mapquest to your unit. My understanding is that this no longer works!

They also get sat radio over there. Although don't know if any gets broadcast here?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club