Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0 diesel dpf

mastachaz

Hi guys !

recently purchased focus 2012 mk3 diesel... 83 on the clock .

I like to know if I should worry about dpf I only drive around city . there is no dpf light at all ( regeneration light)

I think about send car to deep clean dpf

any information you can help me with ?

Just city driving should've got a petrol but take it for a deep clean, I recommend Terraclean they do DPF's but Halfords just put some additive in your tank and force regen as far as I know, but you're always going to have trouble with your DPF as you only do city miles

• Thanks 1

I know but now because i decide about price of car.
there was mainly diesel as well
anyone resonable for deep clean in london ?

12 hours ago, mastachaz said:

I know but now because i decide about price of car.
there was mainly diesel as well
anyone resonable for deep clean in london ?

Go to https://www.terraclean.co.uk/find-a-local-agent and enter your details they will tell you where your closest agent is, I've used Terraclean before and had great results.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Go to https://www.terraclean.co.uk/find-a-local-agent and enter your details they will tell you where your closest agent is, I've used Terraclean before and had great results.

will they clean dpf completly  ? ash sook and all this ?

Look at Q16 of the FAQS on the Terraclean website - you may need to ask for an extra service which will no doubt cost more.  I have never had a Terraclean done myself, but have heard good things about it generally.

The DPF would need to be removed to clear out ash, basically the ash particles are too big to fit through the DPF core so they can only come out back the way they came in.  Think of it like trying to push marbles through a kitchen sieve, not gonna happen!

The stuff terraclean would use for their special DPF treatment is just squirted in through the temp sensor hole, it loosens and softens soot, but ultimately still needs very high engine temps to burn that off.  It would b a waste of money on a town car imo.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The DPF would need to be removed to clear out ash, basically the ash particles are too big to fit through the DPF core so they can only come out back the way they came in.  Think of it like trying to push marbles through a kitchen sieve, not gonna happen!

The stuff terraclean would use for their special DPF treatment is just squirted in through the temp sensor hole, it loosens and softens soot, but ultimately still needs very high engine temps to burn that off.  It would b a waste of money on a town car imo.

I know I will probably think of selling it wich should be hard as its diesel... looks like I made mistake but now it is what it is.

Do you know anyone who will complete clean dpf ? and how much it will cost ? maybe better will be to remove it ?

focus not have any dpf light ?

I will do most city trip and some trip around 80 miles away but only in summer time.

8 minutes ago, mastachaz said:

I know I will probably think of selling it wich should be hard as its diesel... looks like I made mistake but now it is what it is.

Do you know anyone who will complete clean dpf ? and how much it will cost ? maybe better will be to remove it ?

focus not have any dpf light ?

I will do most city trip and some trip around 80 miles away but only in summer time.

MOT and Insurance are void in the case of DPF removal not worth the risk anymore, only thing you can do is get it cleaned regularly.

If you want proper DPF cleaning including ash removal, either you need to remove the DPF yourself or have a garage remove it and then send it away to be cleaned.  I can't recommend any specific companies as it was cheaper for me to replace mine than have it cleaned 3 years ago, it might be cheaper now.

If you just want the soot burnt out, most garages will be able to offer a forced regeneration, some will also use a cleaning fluid like Terraclean but this is only for soot, not ash.  It may need to be done regularly if you only do short trips for weeks or months at a time.

Does the mk3 still not have a DPF light?  I thought they would have learnt after the mk2!

DPF Removal is illegal so I don't recommend that but it's your choice.

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If you want proper DPF cleaning including ash removal, either you need to remove the DPF yourself or have a garage remove it and then send it away to be cleaned.  I can't recommend any specific companies as it was cheaper for me to replace mine than have it cleaned 3 years ago, it might be cheaper now.

If you just want the soot burnt out, most garages will be able to offer a forced regeneration, some will also use a cleaning fluid like Terraclean but this is only for soot, not ash.  It may need to be done regularly if you only do short trips for weeks or months at a time.

Does the mk3 still not have a DPF light?  I thought they would have learnt after the mk2!

DPF Removal is illegal so I don't recommend that but it's your choice.

I dont see any lights on dashboard for dpf , I try flash with flashlight etc.

its no required fit new dpf after 75k ?

there is so many opinion on the internet.

my question is If its ok to just clean dpf and drive around city or should I think about selling this car somehow :)

You have the newer DPF, it does not require replacement at 75k.  That is for the older Focus, before 2009.

It is ok to clean the DPF and drive it in the city, but it will block up quickly again so you would be better off selling the car in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

You have the newer DPF, it does not require replacement at 75k.  That is for the older Focus, before 2009.

It is ok to clean the DPF and drive it in the city, but it will block up quickly again so you would be better off selling the car in my opinion.

how I can check what type dpf I have

block how fast ? do you know maybe

thank you already for helping me !

You definitely have the newer DPF on a 2012 car.  The older one was not fitted to the mk3.

No one can say how quickly it will block, depends on where and how you drive, lots of short journeys in stop start traffic with a cold engine could block it in less than a month.  

• Like 1

Whoukd I see dpf somewhere ? Where is located anyone knows?  

Just give it a fast run every few weeks this is what we do with our cmax diesel and its used mostly for short runs during the week.  Leave it in a high gear to get the revs up and drive for half an hr or more this should keep it good.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

Just give it a fast run every few weeks this is what we do with our cmax diesel and its used mostly for short runs during the week.  Leave it in a high gear to get the revs up and drive for half an hr or more this should keep it good.

I have automatic. so cant choice gear.

I drive only when I need it , before i have from march focus mk2 petrol and I did only 422 miles.
this is how mu engine looks , no see dpf nothing in silver what I saw on youtube.

20171108_212300.jpg

I think the DPF will be underneath the engine, as mentioned earlier you will definitely have the newer type cDPF, not sure what you will gain from looking at the DPF whilst it's fitted to the car.

13 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

I think the DPF will be underneath the engine, as mentioned earlier you will definitely have the newer type cDPF, not sure what you will gain from looking at the DPF whilst it's fitted to the car.

I saw its next to engine but maybe it was not ford car.

I get offer for complete cleaning 350 If I will remove or 55 if someone will remove it for me , what do you think guys ?

I assume the "remove" was supposed to £550 because besides physically removing the DPF the ECU software has to be rewritten to forget all about the DPF.  Otherwise you can get warning lights and general bad behaviour from the engine.

Although removing a DPF isn't illegal (for the garage) it IS illegal to the drive the car so you'd be the one on the hook for it if caught.

Incidentally, what possessed you to buy a diesel for city/London driving?  I assume the car was priced well below the market rate?

I think he means £350 if he takes it off and sends it for cleaning, £550(?) if he has to pay someone to unbolt it and put it back on the car when cleaned.  I know a good place that can give you the option of removing completely or cleaning, but it is near Bristol, not London and I paid closer to the lower of the prices above, and very happy with the outcome.  I agree that London traffic and diesels doesn't make sense any more, although the black cabs are still mostly diesel aren't they?

Above post should have been slightly more specific, I should have said diesel engines with a DPF.  You're right about the black cabs, they mainly do short journeys so I wonder how they get on (maybe they have a DPF cleaning man on retainer!) :biggrin:

• Haha 1

They send me this:

The cost for removal, cleaning and refitting is £550 plus any ancillary parts that might be needed
If you remove and refit yourself I will collect and deliver the dpf, this is £300
If the dpf is checked and considered damaged and unable to clean there is a charge of £100. You would then need to buy a new dpf filter. It doesn't happen very often but is a possibility 
The £100 is payable before sending away and non refundable 

I try to found out If i should Clean complete DPF because i dont know how fill with ash its now. and then try to clean it regular
or sell car and try found petrol one , wich will be very very hard. - why ?
because i dont pay much for this car and its lovely frozen white mk3 with 17 inch alloys tinted windows etc. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club