Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it the Alternator? 09 1.6TDCI

StevieIRL

Hey Guys, 
So firstly the problems the car is issuing is:

• - Headlights flicker bright while taking off from traffic lights / junctions
  • - Interior map lights flicker when on and driving / cornering
  • - I can hear the steering whine from Radio/Speakers when no music is playing.
  • - Most recently since the cold weather there has been a whine coming from the engine at 1000-2000rpm that sounds like a turbo whine, If I turn the Speakers up loudly this noise is amplified through the cars Speakers. (Video Linked Below)

Does this sound like an Alternator issue? I don't get any battery warning lights on the dash. 

If you need anymore info or questions please ask. Its a shame as I've spent so much preparing this car for the NCT(Irelands MOT) and then this happens. 

Hi mate.  You can check the battery/alternator with a multimeter if you have one?  It can give you an indication.  I know that about 5 minutes before my battery & alternator packed up I had a whine  coming from the car.  With ignition off battery should read 12.4 volts.  Start the engine and it should read between 13.5v and 14.8v .  Then switch on headlights, a/c etc and see if it drops at all.

15 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Hi mate.  You can check the battery/alternator with a multimeter if you have one?  It can give you an indication.  I know that about 5 minutes before my battery & alternator packed up I had a whine  coming from the car.  With ignition off battery should read 12.4 volts.  Start the engine and it should read between 13.5v and 14.8v .  Then switch on headlights, a/c etc and see if it drops at all.

Hi, thanks for the reply,  Sadly I don't own one. My local garage should have one, so I'll post back results and see. 

3 hours ago, StevieIRL said:

Hi, thanks for the reply,  Sadly I don't own one. My local garage should have one, so I'll post back results and see. 

No worries.  You can pick them up for about £8 from Halfords or similar.  They're quite useful for testing resistance on fuses or glow plugs too.

Was at the mechanics earlier, it was as we suspected an Alternator. 
It was pushing 15+ volts at times of revving (hence headlights flashing bright i guess)
Luckily it is covered by my warranty and will be able to get new sorted.

Thanks 

• Like 2

Everyone should have their own multimeter (volts/amps/ohms) and their own OBD code reader. Don't cost much and very useful to have handy.

I also say everyone home should have a soldering iron.......

and a mig welder.......

and an air compressor and paint spray gun........

seriously though - we should all have a multimeter and OBD code reader if we are the type of people who are prepared to open the bonnet on the car

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, isetta said:

Everyone should have their own multimeter (volts/amps/ohms) and their own OBD code reader. Don't cost much and very useful to have handy.

and a mig welder.......

seriously though - we should all have a multimeter and OBD code reader if we are the type of people who are prepared to open the bonnet on the car

I'll just stick to the multimeter & forscan! :biggrin:

3 hours ago, isetta said:

and a mig welder.......

You say that and yes I kinda agree. Trouble is everyone just gets a loan of a car now..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club