Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power steering malfunction and total loss of power

markh1074

Hi guys, it's my first post on the forums and I wish it was a better one. I bought a 2008 MK2.5 1.8tcdi focus around 3 weeks ago and it broke down today

I got a check engine light about 30 miles ago and today pulling out of the driveway I got the warning chime and a readout saying power steering failure. Then the car shut down and there has being no power since, not even central locking or interior/dash lights. When I had a look under the bonnet here was smoke, possibly from the alternator. 

Has anyone experienced something similar? 

4 hours ago, markh1074 said:

I got a check engine light about 30 miles ago and today pulling out of the driveway I got the warning chime and a readout saying power steering failure. Then the car shut down and there has being no power since, not even central locking or interior/dash lights. When I had a look under the bonnet here was smoke, possibly from the alternator. 

If one of the diodes had failed in the alternator, it would 99% likely short out the battery supply, and burn out the fusible link from the battery. And it would get very hot while doing so, and smoke. This could take out all power to the car, and maybe damage the battery.

So it needs looking at by an auto-electrician, a good garage, or someone with knowledge & equipment to test charging systems and batteries.

With luck, it will just be the alternator and fusible link. However, another possibility is some other major short circuit on the high power part of the wiring, or even a faulty battery. So it would not be a good idea to just stick in a replacement alternator, power up and start it, without some tests first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fully agree with the comments from  @Tdci-Peter, make sure you get the car checked over electrically rather than just having a replacement alternator fitted.  Otherwise you might end up with the replacement alternator being fried, be no further forward and you'll be out of pocket.

From what you've described there's a decent chance it's the alternator that's at fault but best not to just chance it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys, luckily the garage has agreed to cover this under warranty, so we will see what they come back with. 

• Like 1

I had this last year it was the car battery that needed replacing.  Replaced the battery and haven't had this message since.

• Like 1