Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Question About 1.0l EcoBoost 125.

Liam40

Hi Everyone,

You all may remember I started a topic titled ‘How Good Is The Focus 1.0l (125bhp) EcoBoost?’, which I got an excellent response from with which I thank you all for.! I have another question to ask you all about the 1.0l EcoBoost 125, which wasn’t discussed in depth in the topic.

A 1.0 EcoBoost 125 would be a perfect next car for me for the sort of journeys I do, which are a mixture of roads but they are short journeys. Rarely do long journeys! But, if my circumstances changed and I started doing longer journeys on motorways at higher speeds, would this little engine still be sufficient enough?

It maybe in a way a strange question, but I need to make sure I make the right choice in my next car, which I will be buying very soon.

Thank you,

Liam.

Absolutely.  The Ecoboost isn't particularly economical on short runs, but I get good consumption if I stay at 75 or less on motorways etc.  Also cruise control, although convenient, doesn't help economy, as it will "try too hard" to maintain the speed.  So for example if I see a downhill run into a dip and then up the other side, I will let the speed creep up to build momentum on the downhill bit, and let the speed fall back on the hill, rather than slavishly sticking to 75

• Like 2

Spent most of the last 12 months commuting from Barnsley to MIlton Keynes in hire cars, often got a 125BHP 1.0 EB Focus (my request).  When driven smoothly on a long run I was often able to hit 50-52 MPG but heavier use of the "loud pedal" would cause the average to drop to about 42-44 MPG.  When revved out it also has a subtle growl, sounds really nice for a 3 cylinder engine.

Regarding your short journeys, you'll not get "good" MPG from any engine (petrol or diesel) if the engine is only up to operating temperature near the end of the journey, but the 1.0 EB gives you a good balance for if you start doing long journeys regularly at a later date.

I did also drive the 100BHP 5 speed EB Focus, still a decent engine but definitely felt more sluggish as the Focus is not a light car and the 5 speed box meant cruising at 75MPH (sorry @Stoney871 I meant 70MPH, lol) did hit the economy a bit more than in more powerful 6 speed model.

• Like 1

You can call this a 'little engine' Liam but it doesn't behave like one, especially with a remap.  It will cruise all day on the motorway and return 48.5 to the gallon (you do well to get 50-52, Damian) as well as being very responsive when coping with variable motorway conditions.  Wouldn't swap it for anything - a thoroughly enjoyable drive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freddy42 said:

You can call this a 'little engine' Liam but it doesn't behave like one, especially with a remap.  It will cruise all day on the motorway and return 48.5 to the gallon (you do well to get 50-52, Damian) as well as being very responsive when coping with variable motorway conditions.  Wouldn't swap it for anything - a thoroughly enjoyable drive.

To get that MPG it would always have to be a good run i.e. no stop start traffic, cruise set and waft along.  As with most cars there was a noticeable difference in MPG if "cruising" at 65-70 MPH compared to closer to 80 MPH.

• Like 1