Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol, Premium or Regular for Fiesta 1.0L ecoboost ?

auldreekie

I normally use ordinary regular unleaded petrol  when fuelling up, would using Premium affect the 2014 fiesta 1.0l ecoboost engine causing a problem ?

Premium/Super won't cause a problem.

Run it long enough it should adjust it's knock sensor and use slightly less fuel. (Thought not enough to compensate the additional cost).

On the 1.0 it's not really needed though and will run perfectly fine on regular fuel.

• Like 1

If you want to use premium fuels that is your choice.

You may collect more points with nectar or Shell if you use there garages

Jamie

I got better mpg with Shell than supermarket. Couldn't tell the difference between regular and vpower though so just use shells regular stuff now. 

You'd need an improvement of 7/8% in mpg to justify using vpower, I was getting no noticeable difference

I normally use the standard Tesco or Morrisons unleaded in my 140PS Red Edition. I tried the premium unleaded from Tesco which I seem to remember being called Momentum. It made no noticeable difference on MPG. I also tried standard Shell unleaded and it did maybe add 10 miles on the whole tank (around 420 miles instead of 410 on a tank full before the low fuel warning comes on)  but I didn't consider it worthwhile paying the extra so have gone back to the cheap supermarket unleaded. Not tried Shell V Power as far as I can recall. I always use my car for the same journeys (mostly dual carriageway at 70 MPH) so I can get a reasonably accurate comparison. I believe the owners manual only specifies the minimum octane and so premium fuels are ok to use too and would not cause a problem.

In the UK the lowest grade of fuel you can get is 95 Ron which is premium unleaded. The ecoboost will run quite happily on 91Ron unless towing or other severe duty usage. There is unlikely to be any benefit to running it on super unleaded so personally don't bother. 

In Thailand there is only 91 and 95RON. There's a huge performance and economy difference with 95 way superior and only marginally more expensive. I can't comment on the difference with 97/98 RON. 

I don't know if they still do it but the Shell garage next to the Maranello dealership in Egham was selling 102 RON petrol! Nothing but the best for the discerning owner of a Ferrari or two...

I don't notice much difference with premium fuel and it may just be a placebo effect. That said, supermarket premium fuel isn't 12p a litre more like Shell V-Power Vs the normal stuff round here. More like 4 or 5p, so I just bung or in. My dad however is convinced his two 3.0 cars do. The ST220 in particular. The BMW seems to be happy with whatever it's fed.

I use tesco momentum 99. Seems smoother than bog standard but that may be placebo. 

The only car on which I ever noticed a difference fuel wise was an Astra SRi which I had for 7 years back in the 80s/90s at the time of the leaded/unleaded switchover - it hated unleaded but loved a good dose of 4 star!

Anyway, enough of the history. I have more recently carried out tests on 2 cars - a 182ps Ecoboost C Max and a 180ps Leon Mk 3 - both over about 6 months/6,000 miles and noted absolutely no difference in performance, economy or "feel" between normal 95 and 97/98. 

What I can't say is whether or not the various "super" fuels will keep your engine cleaner and running better over the longer term - I no longer do enough annual mileage to find out.

• 7 months later...

found a couple of things  to add to the fuel debate first off it appears that the 1.0 EcoBoost can utilize higher octane fuels (fiesta testing from pg 15)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/*****/pdfs/ORNL_High_Octane_Legacy_Vehicles_Report(final).pdf

EcoBoost® Engine
The available new 1.0L EcoBoost engine in the 2015 Fiesta generates 123 horsepower* and 125 lb.-ft. of torque. Named the 2013 International Engine of the Year, this turbo-charged, direct-injection power plant is the first-ever three cylinder engine from Ford. It also has a cooling system that generates minimal friction.

*Figures achieved using 93-octane fuel.

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/threads/42821-Ford-s-1-0-HP-Rating-is-based-on-93-Octanehttp://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/threads/42821-Ford-s-1-0-HP-Rating-is-based-on-93-Octane

93 octane US is about 98 octane UK so it might not be a complete waste of money going for super unleaded although the difference may well too small to notice in every day driving.

In my experience higher octane fuel definitely gives a smoother tickover on three cylinder ecoboost engines, slightly improved MPG and better pulling power up hills. 

I use BP Ultimate in mine and I've found a noticeable difference, the engine is a little smoother and has a little more go to it. Through some very non-scientific tests compared to BP's standard fuel I found a couple of MPGs improvement, certainly not enough to offset the extra cost but I like the way the car drives with the Ultimate fuel so I stick with it.

I use shell's v power in it averaging 45-53 mpg depending on my right foot , my car feels smoother than cheap supermarket fuel.

1.0 Zetec S Ecoboost 123 bhp. 

6 hours ago, Trewithy said:

In my experience higher octane fuel definitely gives a smoother tickover on three cylinder ecoboost engines, slightly improved MPG and better pulling power up hills. 

I spent 4 years study combustible and hyperbgolic fuels for my Masters.  There's no way this side of the laws of thermodynamics that a slightly increased RON will have any effect whatsoever on idle.  

Asda all the way for us. Never had a problem with it, never noticed anything bad about it. 

would be interested to know the bhp of regular vs super petrol I'm guessing standard would be less otherwise why the * 

I agree with Martin above.   ASDA or Morrisons - never had a problem.

This might be bullshit, but what I've been believing is that using higher octane fuel might cause slightly less carbon deposits on these direct injection engines.

I have heard that the higher octane fuel produces less carbon not sure how but if it does than that has to be better for the engine. the report above also proved the EcoBoost was able to advance its timing and improve fuel efficiency. for super unleaded like Tesco momentum that is only 5 ppl more than there standard, the benefits may outweigh the additional cost of the fuel. to break even you would need to increase efficiency by around 4% or  2 mpg. could well be possible as it is adjusting its timing to take advantage of super unleaded. 

• 7 months later...

I definitely get 3 or 4 mpg less from tesco regular compared to Shell regular. Momentum gave me equivalent to Shell regular, v power no improvement over regular.

9 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

What fuel do the Mk8 140 BHP boys use please?

I've had the 140 for a month now and using Vpower for the lubrication properties rather than performance. Once I've done this for 2 or 3 months I'm back to standard supermarket fuel and might fill it with Vpower or momentum as a odd treat. 

On 2/24/2019 at 12:12 AM, nashdm2 said:

What fuel do the Mk8 140 BHP boys use please?

Again Asda finest regular unleaded all the way. No issues.

I go for standard supermarket fuel which is usually Morrison’s as it’s the cheapest. It’s approximately 10p per litre cheaper than the BP up the road for the same 95 and I don’t think any potential fuel quality differences (if there are any) are enough to offset the price difference on a full tank of fuel. I’ve done this on the MK8 140 i have at the minute and my previous car and haven’t had an issue at all. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club