Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Pads Question

HunterDVJ

Hey everyone,

My brake pads are coming up for a change so wondering what people would suggest, stick with OEM or buy some Brembos or Pagids ect.? 

If I'm honest I don't know much about which ones to get. 

I've got a 2015 titanium X 1.5 ecoboost.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, HunterDVJ said:

Hey everyone,

My brake pads are coming up for a change so wondering what people would suggest, stick with OEM or buy some Brembos or Pagids ect.? 

If I'm honest I don't know much about which ones to get. 

I've got a 2015 titanium X 1.5 ecoboost.

Thanks!

When it comes to brakes i would avoid budget.  I've used Mintex from eBay and found them too be good.  I think Pagids, mintex, and Brembo all meet OEM standard.  Hope that helps.

I know people will ridicule me for buying cheap. On my old 2007 fiesta the original pads lasted 77k miles. When replaced I got the cheap ones from eBay - can't recall exact cost but somewhere between £10 - £15 including postage. They lasted 69k miles and felt just the same and had no adverse effect on the discs. 

Has anyone ever done some proper controlled tests on brake pad performance? I would be interested to see results. Perhaps I was just lucky

How many miles have you done?  I wouldn't expect a 2015 model to need pads already? 

Isetta, it's not all about performance with pads, I like to choose ones that don't squeal or cause a load of dust on the alloys as well.  I find cheap pads overheat easily if you push them often, causing glazing and can also crack and crumble when overheated, and in one instance completely separate from the backing plate.  As with any cheap parts, some will be fine, it's just a gamble!

I tend to stick with Pagid pads and discs now, they bed in well, I've never warped a disc, not had any squealing issues, not had any overheating issues and they aren't too bad for dust.

• Like 1

Although I've not used them personally, in terms of value for money/sensible options, Pagid and Mintex have had a few positive reviews on here over the years.  Brembo/EBC Yellowstuff tend to be quite a lot more expensive.  Ford pads are okay but tend to leave a crap load of dust on the front wheels.

I replaced my originals with Pagid bought from ECP and they are fine, since done 40k miles and counting.

3 hours ago, isetta said:

I know people will ridicule me for buying cheap. On my old 2007 fiesta the original pads lasted 77k miles. When replaced I got the cheap ones from ebay - can't recall exact cost but somewhere between £10 - £15 including postage. They lasted 69k miles and felt just the same and had no adverse effect on the discs. 

Has anyone ever done some proper controlled tests on brake pad performance? I would be interested to see results. Perhaps I was just lucky

I've never done any testing except the fitting of 'Eicher' rubbish from euro car parts! They should come with a file in the box to give you half a chance!

To answer the OP. Generally I've used Pagid for years now. Apec on occasion as that's what my other supplier deals with. 

• Haha 1

I use EBC Yellowstuff and give them quite a hard time with regular "enthusiastic" driving and all good so far after approx 18 months.  Not cheap though so unless you plan on making use of the extra performance, there are more sensible options such as Pagid/Mintex.

Theres nothing to be gained from using more expensive "performance" pads with bog standard discs so either fit fords own or use a decent mid range brand such as mintex or pagid

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I'll just go with OEM or Pagid ones :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club