Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 ZS 120 1.6 - Performance exhaust help

Kawdam91

Hi,

I recently purchased my 2010 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 Ti and need a bit of help choosing a performance exhaust i have a few in mind any help is appreciated.

Firstly i have installed a K and N Cone filter to the car myself, does anyone know if this was a good idea? as i am worried about water damage to the internals of the engine if this is possible. It sounds great though.

The exhaust i almost went with was a Cat-back Cobra Sport none flex i think? but it is a little pricey compared to the other options which are Mountune which  i was waiting to come back in stock and mongoose. The Miltek one sounds awful.

I don't plan on installing a Sport Cat or Manifold they are way too expensive and i don't see the point on this type of car, i will wait until i get an ST in a few years. I will remap the engine at some point after the cat back exhaust installation though as i can get it done relatively cheap with a Dyno.

Thanks.

On 15/11/2017 at 7:30 PM, Kawdam91 said:

Firstly i have installed a K and N Cone filter to the car myself, does anyone know if this was a good idea? as i am worried about water damage to the internals of the engine if this is possible. It sounds great though.

I don't think it was the best idea. Inless you installed it inside the airbox (which would make it pointless), you'll end up drawing in hot air from the engine bay (which doesn't combust as well, or make as big of a bang as cold air). These cone filters also more coarse, so let in more dirt. They have no performance gains at all, and can actually lose you power. Worth it with a turbo? Yes, the air gets even hotter when it gets compressed and goes through an intercooler anyway. Worth it on a naturally aspirated engine? No.

I dont know much about exhausts on a fiesta, but I doubt it's worth tuning it on a rolling road after you install it. You can't squeeze much more power out of a naturally aspirated engine, an exhaust and a remap makes little difference in reality. If you are going on a rolling road, you'd want to be after more power (talking injectors, cams, turbo install, boring out cylinders, forged pistons etc.), and at that point it's just as cheap to get an ST.

The turbo fiesta is much easier to remap, quite the power gain to be had by cranking up the boost etc.