• Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear


liamstears

Any guess on what these wires are?

Recommended Posts

Evening all

Proud new owner of a 2014 Fiesta 5 Door Titanium Ecoboost 125

Noticed yesterday though I had an extra power connection and fuse coming off the battery into the car, opened up the glove box to find a bunch of wires, looks like the battery feed comes into these, also there's a black wire coming out of these that runs up to a grounding point and then a white and a red wire coming out the bottom which looks like it goes into the cars harness

Any ideas what this is or could of been? At the moment it looks like it was something that was removed but is no longer there, any ideas what these 2 wires could be tapping into the cars loom? Too dark, cold and wet to do any more investigating/pulling apart at the moment

Thanks in advance

20171116_193519.jpg

20171116_193527.jpg

20171116_193542.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

have you got aftermarket front parking sensors?

Nope, although I know this car has previously had front end damage and I believe the bumper was replaced so it's a possibility that it may have in the past...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Looks like wiring for a telematics (black box) kit.

Beat me too it damm it.

I'd trace it back and take the box out. They still continue to monitor you until it gets removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Looks like wiring for a telematics (black box) kit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 

 

19 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Beat me too it damm it.

I'd trace it back and take the box out. They still continue to monitor you until it gets removed.

I first guessed this but when I read that it goes into the loom I was thinking otherwise, black boxes normally just need power to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Telematics, never thought of that, could be maybe

It's the going into the loom bit that's a bit odd to me

Gonna have to pull it apart some more at the weekend I think try and work out where the wires are connected to the loom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you’ve got the rear power socket ( cigar lighter ) which doesn’t seem to be fitted to later cars. My Titanium X doesn’t seem to have the connectors for the fuse (29)...💩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wiggy! said:

Looks like you’ve got the rear power socket ( cigar lighter ) which doesn’t seem to be fitted to later cars. My Titanium X doesn’t seem to have the connectors for the fuse (29)...💩

You saying that has just made me realise I have fuses installed for heated seats but it doesn't have them, wonder if they can be retrofitted easily...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2017 at 11:15 PM, liamstears said:

Telematics, never thought of that, could be maybe

It's the going into the loom bit that's a bit odd to me

Gonna have to pull it apart some more at the weekend I think try and work out where the wires are connected to the loom

I've heard of them being tapped into the fuel pump wiring, they tend to have 4 or 5 wires, but only 2 of them (positive and negative) are actually terminated. I'd guess it would have an inline fuse somewhere, so you could split it from there and pull the box out rather than cutting random wires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So did some digging today and found not 1 but 2 "black boxes"

So behind the glovebox it turned out the cable I assumed was coming in from the engine bay/battery to the loom wasn't the cable coming in at all, wires went from that loom up to the black box (insurance company black box by the looks of it) hidden in the top left, that black box was connected to a grounding point behind the glovebox towards the top and also connected to 2 thick wires in the cars loom that's clipped behind the glovebox. Snipped it and removed completely :-D

The mysterious power from the battery didn't go into the car in the end but under the plastic below the window in the engine bay and hidden in there I found a Meta t30 a second "black box", also snipped and removed

Thanks for the suggestions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking up the Metatrak t30, looks like it is possibly a company black box rather than an insurance one - talking about stolen vehicle tracking and vehicle health/etc.

Might have been a company lease vehicle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, liamstears said:

So did some digging today and found not 1 but 2 "black boxes"

So behind the glovebox it turned out the cable I assumed was coming in from the engine bay/battery to the loom wasn't the cable coming in at all, wires went from that loom up to the black box (insurance company black box by the looks of it) hidden in the top left, that black box was connected to a grounding point behind the glovebox towards the top and also connected to 2 thick wires in the cars loom that's clipped behind the glovebox. Snipped it and removed completely :-D

The mysterious power from the battery didn't go into the car in the end but under the plastic below the window in the engine bay and hidden in there I found a Meta t30 a second "black box", also snipped and removed

Thanks for the suggestions

Well that was unexpected, glad you figured it out and got rid of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So did some digging today and found not 1 but 2 "black boxes"
So behind the glovebox it turned out the cable I assumed was coming in from the engine bay/battery to the loom wasn't the cable coming in at all, wires went from that loom up to the black box (insurance company black box by the looks of it) hidden in the top left, that black box was connected to a grounding point behind the glovebox towards the top and also connected to 2 thick wires in the cars loom that's clipped behind the glovebox. Snipped it and removed completely :-D
The mysterious power from the battery didn't go into the car in the end but under the plastic below the window in the engine bay and hidden in there I found a Meta t30 a second "black box", also snipped and removed
Thanks for the suggestions


Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now