Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm totally car-ignorant. Swapping alloys? Fiesta '13 Ecoboost

RockandGrohl

I have the standard 15" alloys on my Fiesta Zetec. I love the way the car looks, but I think the standard alloys are too small and I would probably want to save my pennies for a set of 17's in either Gunmetal or black (because I'm lazy and don't want to clean the front rims all the time!)

Is there anything in particular I need to do, like changing suspension? I know I must keep the rolling radius the same.

Aside from getting part-scuffed alloys, is there a cheaper way to do this? Thanks.

Ford recommends steering rack limiters 17" to prevent rubbing. 

You can change your wheel/tyre size using Forscan to ensure your speedo is accurate, but a major change in rolling circumference would affect gearing. 

There's always cheap OEM Ford 17" wheels on eBay and the FB groups which might mean cheaper insurance. 

Bear in mind that larger wheels means less tyre sidewall so a harsher though more responsive ride. 

• Like 1

I did the same upgrade going to the 17 inch zetec s alloys.

Found a set on eBay for £300, came with 4 Continental tyres from when original car was new. 2 running at legal limit, other two at 5mm. Spent £160 getting them powder coating them black (would totally reccomend, it's harder than paint so doesn't chip off, very hard to scratch too). Then spent £140 on two new tyres.

Total cost = £600.

I would try to avoid damaged rims, if they're buckled they're as good as scrap. It's ok saying you can fill the curb marks, but it just doesn't last. One tap on a curb and you're back to square 1. Not to mention you'll end up spending more than me on refurb and paint. I guess making sure the tyres are all decent is your best bet too. I wouldn't really want to spend much more than £600 on something like this.

I decided not to fit the rack limiters, I guess they're fitted for higher loads when the car sits lower so can rub on the wheel arches. No suspension changes necessary. If you get any standard mk7 fiesta alloy then they all bolt on with no issues regarding circumference changes/speedo calibration etc.

and don't forget lower profile tyres means more chance of scraping your rim along a curb, and more chance of bending wheel on a pothole as less rubber there to act as buffer. 

• Like 2

DO ITTTTT!!

Went from Zetec 15s to ST 150 17s.
alloys were purchased from a fellow Fiesta owner for no more than £100. Spent about £160 on nearly new tyres and balancing at a local tyre fitters. Bought a couple of cans of matte black spray paint to hide some curb marks and light scratches while I decide how I actually want to finish the wheels (about £6 in all.)

Nothing else has been done to the wheels since and I've been driving fine for a couple of months now (only just curbed one again this week DOH! [emoji85]) . Just take note of the drive quality and points on curbing, pot holes etc as others have said above [emoji4]8e1c7ab07825dfb100809a9f26a3d94a.jpg5cba917cf6cbabe67a68f3f7979b54d5.jpg

Sent from my Phantom6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 18/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, isetta said:

and don't forget lower profile tyres means more chance of scraping your rim along a curb, and more chance of bending wheel on a pothole as less rubber there to act as buffer. 

Would agree with isetta, I have 16 inch zetec s alloys and the front  wheels are already slightly mishapen. I hate potholes as you don't want to go over some of them quickly and hear a 'bang' sound as you don't know if it buckles in the wheel. I have an air leak in one if my wheels and suspect it's the rim. 

18 hours ago, zagobir said:

DO ITTTTT!!

Went from Zetec 15s to ST 150 17s.
Alloys were purchased from a fellow Fiesta owner for no more than £100. Spent about £160 on nearly new tyres and balancing at a local tyre fitters. Bought a couple of cans of matte black spray paint to hide some curb marks and light scratches while I decide how I actually want to finish the wheels (about £6 in all.)

Nothing else has been done to the wheels since and I've been driving fine for a couple of months now (only just curbed one again this week DOH! emoji85.png) . Just take note of the drive quality and points on curbing, pot holes etc as others have said above emoji4.png8e1c7ab07825dfb100809a9f26a3d94a.jpg5cba917cf6cbabe67a68f3f7979b54d5.jpg

Was looking at some st wheels on eBay and there going for around 200 pounds. One ad caught my eye where all wheels had been referbished however one of them has some surface scratches. Don't think I'll spend this sort of money on parts sadly unless it's something to fix the car. 

London roads are notorious for potholes [emoji24][emoji24]. My dad is always laughing at me for my careful driving (if it's safe to do so, I always slow down or drive around potholes and other bumps [emoji85]) BUT I still got an air leak when I was rolling on 15s with plenty of rubber on the tyres! It happens.

Also didn't want to spend huge amounts on wheels as I know I'll probably want to change them soon and as [mention=85062]zain611[/mention] said, it's not like it's a necessity if it's not for repairs. I found mine on Gumtree - sometimes people just want to get rid of things and you can get a good deal [emoji5]

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club