Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen wiper problems

lwatson99

Hi all,

MK7.5 Fiesta, and I'm having some serious trouble with my wipers. I've replaced them twice since March, both times with Bosch Aerotwin top spec ones. 

They work fine for a while, then they start juddering really badly, I've put a video on here (hopefully it's worked) and its in slow motion to show just how bad the wipers are. 

Is there something I can tighten, twist or adjust to fix this?

Thanks 

Have you used any Rain Off type liquid treatment on your screen? This can causing juddering on some brands. If not, clean both the windscreen and Wiper Blades with white vinegar and see how they work. 

I previously used rain- x a while back (3 months ) and have cleaned the car windows multiple times. I would have thought that would do it?

Ill try the white vinegar, thanks. @ThaiFiesta

Tried the white vinegar this morning both on the Wiper Blades and windscreen (applied on a cloth in a circular motion) 

but it hasn’t done the trick unfortunately, the wipers are still playing up.

anyone else got any suggestions?

thanks

I've heard of various waxes in car wash liquids causing incompatibility between wiper brands before. Are they any different when shifting water? 

Best thing I can say is give the windscreen a good clean with something that will strip wax. Usually dish soap detergents will do it.

This happened to me twice after I retrofitted some Bosch aero wipers to my mk6.5

First time I believe it was my wax and after I replaced them this current time i think it was ice. Never had a single issue with my older ones.

White vinegar is a very good idea, I used nail polish remover and it helped.

If you have ever used Rain-X or anything similar you will need something stronger to get it off.

Talking to the customer service advisor for Bluecol Rain Repellent, he recommended White Spirit to me. It did work, but minimally.

To remove Rain-X you may need to clean your screen with Cerium Oxide, however try this first: clean the windscreen with toothpaste using a bit of elbow grease and wash off.  When the screen is dry apply Auto Glym Glass polish.  I am sure this will help to reduce the juddering providing the problem is not with the wiper alignment.

• Like 1

Bosch quality seems to have dropped within the last few years, I've seen a lot of complaints with Aerotwins though I used to use them all the time without issue.  I've got genuine Ford ones now, but they took ages to bed in, the edges juddered and squeaked in light rain for months, even had a new screen shortly after fitting them and was the same so can't blame it on the glass...however they've now been on over 2 years and work fine still after the initial problems...

What is the useful part of the toothpaste for removing rain X?  Would a cheap one work or does it need to be a certain type (whitening etc)?  My Mum is having trouble with screen smears after using rain X a while back.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Bosch quality seems to have dropped within the last few years, I've seen a lot of complaints with Aerotwins though I used to use them all the time without issue.  I've got genuine Ford ones now, but they took ages to bed in, the edges juddered and squeaked in light rain for months, even had a new screen shortly after fitting them and was the same so can't blame it on the glass...however they've now been on over 2 years and work fine still after the initial problems...

Where’s the best place to get genuine ones from as the only place I can see easily is from my dealer and that just isn’t a convenient trip to make for some wipers 

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

What is the useful part of the toothpaste for removing rain X?  Would a cheap one work or does it need to be a certain type (whitening etc)?  My Mum is having trouble with screen smears after using rain X a while back.

Toothpaste is very slightly abrasive and I saw an improvement in my wiper judder problem after using it, you don't need to use much.  Then it was virtually eliminated when I cleaned the whole windscreen with Cerium Oxide that I bought off amazon. Now I just give the screen an occasional  polish with Auto Glym Glass Polish to remove any traffic film and keep it clean.. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lwatson99 said:

Where’s the best place to get genuine ones from as the only place I can see easily is from my dealer and that just isn’t a convenient trip to make for some wipers 

Fordpartsuk, eBay or amazon all sell them online.  

• Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, Newblet said:

This happened to me twice after I retrofitted some Bosch aero wipers to my mk6.5

First time I believe it was my wax and after I replaced them this current time i think it was ice. Never had a single issue with my older ones.

White vinegar is a very good idea, I used nail polish remover and it helped.

I have Bosch areo wipers fitted on my mk6.5 fiesta and I have no problem with. Only thing I might say is the springs on the wipers aren't properly pushing the wipers onto the glass as there's very slight smearing. Are you sure these glass sealants aren't affecting the smoothness of the glass? Could recommend clay baring it to remove any fallout. 

+1 for cerium oxide. Great stuff. You need to be quite vigorous when polishing, or extremely careful with a mechanical polisher. But it's worth it.

I have a small bottle in my boot. Easy to get from amazon.

On 22/11/2017 at 7:24 AM, zain611 said:

I have bosch areo wipers fitted on my mk6.5 fiesta and I have no problem with. Only thing I might say is the springs on the wipers aren't properly pushing the wipers onto the glass as there's very slight smearing. Are you sure these glass sealants aren't affecting the smoothness of the glass? Could recommend clay baring it to remove any fallout. 

I used nail polish remover on the windscreen after a good wash and it seems to improve it well. Only ever had a issue with the driver's side one.

• Like 1

fords own brand wipers are made by Bosch lol

and rain x is pants to be honest , much better glass sealants are available

11 hours ago, biff55 said:

fords own brand wipers are made by bosch lol

and rain x is pants to be honest , much better glass sealants are available

What do you think are the best ones?

After my experience with the Autoglym glass sealant put on the car when I bought it, and my experience with Bluecol lately,  I will never put anything on the windscreen again. It's useful for side windows and mirrors, but the windscreen only seems to work for a little bit before the wipers interfere with it.

I have tried (not in this order):

• White spirit
  • Brake cleaner (small amount!)
  • T-Cut
  • Toothpaste
  • Cif
  • Normfest Topas Advanced cleaner (removes silicones)

I used Toothpaste with a mechanical polisher. And as a last resort (since these wipers are now on their way out), I let them run continuously whilst driving in very light rain to see if I can get the stuff physically rubbed off. I still have smears with the wipers where I put the stuff on,  but it's improving over what it was (dangerous when driving at night!).

It is a very tough coating, and maybe it's just user error when applying, but never again.

• Like 1

I know this sounds a bit stupid / obvious, but to me it looks like you are inside / undercover so there is minimal water on the screen for the first wipe, so when the second wipe comes, there is virtually no water on the screen as they are new blades and are getting rid of all water / moisture on the glass, like they should.

So then you have got rubber being dragged across the glass which has got a lot of friction due to the lack of water, so is gripping and causing it to jump??

Thats just my take on it, whats it like in rain? 

On 12/1/2017 at 5:00 AM, ThaiFiesta said:

What do you think are the best ones?

i haven't tried enough to say which is best though i use gtechniq G5 with no problems and good results.

nanolex urban gets great reviews but is twice the price

2 hours ago, RobA said:

I know this sounds a bit stupid / obvious, but to me it looks like you are inside / undercover so there is minimal water on the screen for the first wipe, so when the second wipe comes, there is virtually no water on the screen as they are new blades and are getting rid of all water / moisture on the glass, like they should.

So then you have got rubber being dragged across the glass which has got a lot of friction due to the lack of water, so is gripping and causing it to jump??

Thats just my take on it, whats it like in rain? 

I thought that might come up. It's exactly the same in rain. At the time, the only place I could pull up was in this car park to show. But it acts like that regardless of whether its wet or dry. 

Having rubbed white vinegar all over the front windshield, cleaned it multiple times, I really dont know what else I can do?

Other than get a set of genuine ford wipers (which I dont think will fix the problem for the long term) its getting quite dangerous now its dark and raining, seeing where you're going is kind of important! Somehow, I think Rain-X is still on the windshield as water does ball up and almost float away, I'm at a loss really other than a new windshield!

I recently replaced my wipers with a set of genuine Ford ones. Other than its criminal what is thrown away with these wipers, it has fixed my problem. To be fair my old wipers weee the original ones by the look, so almost 4 years from build date. I had previously done the white vinegar thing to the screen and wipers but the were beyond help

4 hours ago, lwatson99 said:

Having rubbed white vinegar all over the front windshield, cleaned it multiple times, I really dont know what else I can do?

scrub the glass hard with fine wire wool dipped in white spirits.

then clean Wiper Blades thoroughly with neat windscreen wash fluid and a cloth.

that will clear the remaining rain x

if it doesnt work -i'll give you your money back ;-)

44 minutes ago, biff55 said:

scrub the glass hard with fine wire wool dipped in white spirits.

then clean wiper blades thoroughly with neat windscreen wash fluid and a cloth.

that will clear the remaining rain x

if it doesnt work -i'll give you your money back ;-)

Challenge accepted ;)

What grade of fine wool wire do you recommend, they are graded in 0’s? Most sites recommended 0000.